Re: [Covenanted Reformation] nathan eshelman: new member

  • trygvesson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
      In a message dated 8/11/2005 8:20:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, nleshelman@... writes:
      "Hello all
      I am a new member around here. I have also recently joined the R F W group, which does not seem to do much discussing.
      I am Nathan Eshelman and am a member of the Associate Reformed Church in Grand Rapids MI. I am a Master's of Divinity candidate at Puritan Reformed Seminary.
      I am a father of two and have been married for over three years. My wife is Lydia and my children are:
      Anna Grace, 21 months
      Owen Justice, 7 weeks
      I am looking forward to meeting all of you and to having the iron sharpening iron that the Lord desires of his people.
      Soli Deo Gloria!
      Nathan Eshelman, B.A., M.Div (candidate)
      Grand Rapids MI"

      Nathan,

      Greatings, and welcome! I am also a member of the R-F-W group. Discussion there comes in bursts, as it does here. I look forward to discussion with an M.Div student from Puritan Reformed :-)

      Some personal info: Been maried 7 years, was a member of the OPC for 7 years and under care of the OPC Presbytery of the Southeast for 3 of those years before transferring membership to the RPCNA over 2 years ago, am 2 semesters away from finishing my Registered Nursing degree [I currently work in Emergency Medicine in an ER, and will continue in Emergency Medicine there with my RN]. I enjoy fly fishing, long range varmint hunting and handgun hunting of deer, turkey etc, am an FFL and enjoy most all things regarding firearms, also enjoy smoking pipe and  cigars and sampling single malts or dark ales while discussiong theology, philosophy etc.

      My wife is Sarah, and my children are Liam Christopher, almost 4, and Ulrik Nathanael, 7 months.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Christopher Coombes
      Lynchburg Reformed Presbyterian Fellowship,
      Lynchburg, VA
      Member, Triangle RPC
      RPCNA

                                                                      _
                                                                     / )
                                                   (\__/)         ( (
                                                    )    (           ) )
                                                 ={      }=       / /
                                                    )     `-------/ /
                                                   (               /
                                                    \              |
                                                    ,'\       ,    ,'
                                                    `-'\  ,---\   | \
                                                       _) )    `. \ /
                                                      (__/       ) )
                                                                (_/
    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
        From: "Nathan&Lydia Eshelman" <nleshelman@...>

        > Hello all

        Hello, Brother Eshelman!

        > I am a new member around here. I have also recently joined
        > the R F W group, which does not seem to do much discussing.

        It has its moments. The best way to see a discussion, of course, is to
        start one.

        > I am Nathan Eshelman and am a member of the
        > Associate Reformed Church in Grand Rapids MI.
        > I am a Master's of Divinity candidate at Puritan Reformed Seminary.

        I have always wished that they had a different name for that degree...

        > I am a father of two and have been married for over three years.
        > My wife is Lydia and my children are:
        > Anna Grace, 21 months
        > Owen Justice, 7 weeks

        Larry Bump, under Care to the goal of Ruling Elder Licensed to Preach,
        Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, Belle Center Ohio
        congregation.

        Married to Gloria (McDonald) Bump 18 years.
        Children:
        Matthew Henry, 14 years
        Anna Lee, 12 years
        Samuel Rutherford, 9 years
        Sarah Ann 4 years.

        > I am looking forward to meeting all of you and to having the iron
        sharpening
        > iron that the Lord desires of his people.

        We sound mean sometimes, but the goal is to sharpen each other.
        I'm looking forward to "talking" with you.

        Larry
      • Larry Bump
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
          From: <trygvesson@...>

          > Some personal info: Been maried 7 years, was a member of the OPC for 7
          years
          > and under care of the OPC Presbytery of the Southeast for 3 of those
          years
          > before transferring membership to the RPCNA over 2 years ago, am 2
          semesters
          > away from finishing my Registered Nursing degree [I currently work in
          > Emergency Medicine in an ER, and will continue in Emergency Medicine there
          with my
          > RN]. I enjoy fly fishing, long range varmint hunting and handgun hunting
          of
          > deer, turkey etc, am an FFL and enjoy most all things regarding firearms,
          also
          > enjoy smoking pipe and cigars and sampling single malts or dark ales
          while
          > discussiong theology, philosophy etc.

          As I learn more and more, I find I like you better!
          I am a C&R FFL holder, EMT/FF (volunteer), bullet caster and reloader. My
          focus is more historical arms and such; the eyes aren't good enough for long
          range stuff.
          If I ever have another secular career it will likely be RN, too. But I
          can't find anyone that enjoys dark ales with me and likes to discuss
          Reformed Theology. ;-(

          Larry
        • Cheryl Grenon
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
            Welcome Nathan!  I believe your wife, Lydia, is a member of my Biblewives list.

            I'm Cheryl Grenon,   mom to 12, the youngest of whom is about 2 weeks older than your Owen.  One of my sons is named Nathanael as well.  I also have 2 grandchildren.  My husband and I have been married for almost 25 years.  I am a member of the Prince George Society associated with the RPNA.  My dh is not reformed so the children and I attend without him.

            I don't own any rifles or shot guns, but my dh does.  He also has reloading equipment.  Does this count?

            I don't like cigars or cigarettes, and can't stand the taste of beer.  Give me chocolate and hard ciders or white zinfandel any day.

            I take nursing my son quite seriously and frequently wear scrubs to demonstrate my devotion to this duty.  It gets me funny looks in the grocery store, however, because people see me with what is obviously a new baby and wearing a work uniform and they assume I am back "at work" already.  Little do they know that scrubs are extremely comfortable, durable and practically stainproof mothering wear.  I do work in health care, but I do it from my own home as I am a certified practitioner in alternative healthcare.  My long term goal is to get my Ph.D. and become a naturopath.

            Cheryl

            > Some personal info: Been maried 7 years, was a member of the OPC  for 7
            years
            > and under care of the OPC Presbytery of the Southeast for 3 of those
            years
            > before transferring membership to the RPCNA over 2 years ago, am 2
            semesters
            > away from finishing my Registered Nursing degree [I currently work in
            > Emergency Medicine in an ER, and will continue in Emergency Medicine there
            with  my
            > RN]. I enjoy fly fishing, long range varmint hunting and handgun hunting
            of
            > deer, turkey etc, am an FFL and enjoy most all things regarding firearms,
            also
            > enjoy smoking pipe and  cigars and sampling single malts or dark ales
            while
            > discussiong theology, philosophy etc.

            As I learn more and more, I find I like you better!
            I am a C&R FFL holder, EMT/FF (volunteer), bullet caster and reloader. My
            focus is more historical arms and such; the eyes aren't good enough for long
            range stuff.
            If I ever have another secular career it will likely be RN, too.  But I
            can't find anyone that enjoys dark ales with me and likes to discuss
            Reformed Theology. ;-(

            Larry

          • Nathan&Lydia Eshelman
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
              Thanks for the introduction Cheryl. It is nice to know that a "bible wife" is also in the "club".
              I think that more of the wives should join in the theological discussion as well as the husbands see the importance of nursing. As you may know, Lydia nurses both of our children. (Owen for life, Anna for sleeping and comfort.

              I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead animal- but I believe that Christian liberty allows others to!

              Nate

            • jparnellm@usxchange.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
                Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins" bumper stickers
                that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get the idea from the
                Day of the Placards in French history?

                - Parnell McCarter

                Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@...>:

                > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead
                > animal- ...
                >
                > Nate

              • Cheryl Grenon
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
                  Dear Nate,

                  If you could see some of the theological drubbings that are sometimes  handed out around here you would understand why the women tend to stay on the sidelines in discussion.

                  Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit.  I learned to throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG.  I even wore camo paint and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was doing.  Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada does not rest on my shoulders.  Even so, don't mess with me. :oP

                  Cheryl

                  > Some personal info: Been maried 7 years, was a member of the OPC  for 7
                  years
                  > and under care of the OPC Presbytery of the Southeast for 3 of those
                  years
                  > before transferring membership to the RPCNA over 2 years ago, am 2
                  semesters
                  > away from finishing my Registered Nursing degree [I currently work in
                  > Emergency Medicine in an ER, and will continue in Emergency Medicine there
                  with  my
                  > RN]. I enjoy fly fishing, long range varmint hunting and handgun hunting
                  of
                  > deer, turkey etc, am an FFL and enjoy most all things regarding firearms,
                  also
                  > enjoy smoking pipe and  cigars and sampling single malts or dark ales
                  while
                  > discussiong theology, philosophy etc.

                  As I learn more and more, I find I like you better!
                  I am a C&R FFL holder, EMT/FF (volunteer), bullet caster and reloader. My
                  focus is more historical arms and such; the eyes aren't good enough for long
                  range stuff.
                  If I ever have another secular career it will likely be RN, too.  But I
                  can't find anyone that enjoys dark ales with me and likes to discuss
                  Reformed Theology. ;-(

                  Larry

                • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
                    Cheryl,

                    > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
                    Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
                    throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo paint
                    and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
                    doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada does
                    not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP

                    > Cheryl

                    I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years (1990-1998), I
                    tend to consider it the best time period of my life. I, however,
                    did know what I was doing with the weapons they gave me... ;-)
                    Then, there were the spiritual weapons that the Lord provided me
                    during the same period...well let me tell you what a place to fully
                    excercise one's spiritual gifts and sanctification!

                    Semper Fi
                    Do or Die!

                    Edgar

                    --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Grenon"

                    -----------
                  • Larry Bump
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
                      From: "Edgar A. Ibarra Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@...>

                      > I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years

                      I was in the USAF for 26 wonderful days in 1984.
                      I have flat feet, they tell me!

                      Larry
                    • jparnellm@usxchange.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                        BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.

                        Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his blog. One of
                        their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.

                        - Parnell McCarter

                        Quoting jparnellm@...:

                        > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins" bumper
                        > stickers
                        > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get the idea from
                        > the
                        > Day of the Placards in French history?
                        >
                        > - Parnell McCarter
                        >

                        > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@...>:
                        >
                        > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead
                        > > animal- ...
                        > >
                        > > Nate
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Willena
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                          Hi Nathan,

                          I am one of the Biblewives too, but here I mostly read and seldom post. I claim no experience with or knowledge of guns of any kind, having never had one in my home or even held one in my hands... and I love deer and moose only to look at, or to eat if someone else does the hunting. :oP

                          I am Willena Flewelling, and I have been married to Ian for 23 years. I have seven children ranging in age from 22 to 6. I too have a Nathaniel. I nursed my children for both food and comfort too, for as long as four years with some of them.

                          My children and I are members of the RPNA in Edmonton, but my husband is not.

                          Willena

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                            Will it win me the lotto???

                            or

                            some Corn Flakes???

                            Ah, the bumper stickers...Many moons ago, when my PCA Pastor, one of
                            the Elders and myself went to an Evangelism Explosion Training
                            Seminar, I recall a young lady giving her testimonials and how, in
                            her own words now, "She was saved by a bumper sticker". Now I
                            understand all about God's providential use of any means to
                            accomplish His means, but I could not help but chuckle at the way
                            she said it and then since many did not give the response I guess
                            she was looking for, she quickly qualified it, but I still cannot
                            help but chuckle....

                            Whatever happened to just presenting the Gospel and living the life
                            as living epistles???

                            Too much lovey doveyness...

                            Smile, God loves you(maybe).... (my Calvinst bumper sticker),

                            j/k,
                            Edgar

                            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, jparnellm@u...
                            wrote:
                            > BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.
                            >
                            > Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his
                            blog. One of
                            > their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.
                            >
                            > - Parnell McCarter
                            >

                            > Quoting jparnellm@u...:
                            >
                            > > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins"
                            bumper
                            > > stickers
                            > > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get
                            the idea from
                            > > the
                            > > Day of the Placards in French history?
                            > >
                            > > - Parnell McCarter
                            > >

                            > > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@y...>:
                            > >
                            > > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or
                            other dead
                            > > > animal- ...
                            > > >
                            > > > Nate
                            > > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Fred blahous
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                              So much for women remaining silent in church.lol.

                            • Fred blahous
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                                What on earth is an emergent church? Just curious.

                                All the best,
                                Fred.

                                wrote:
                                > BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.
                                >
                                > Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his
                                blog. One of
                                > their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.
                                >
                                > - Parnell McCarter
                                >

                                > Quoting jparnellm@u...:
                                >
                                > > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins"
                                bumper
                                > > stickers
                                > > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get
                                the idea from
                                > > the
                                > > Day of the Placards in French history?
                                > >
                                > > - Parnell McCarter
                                > >

                                > > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@y...>:
                                > >
                                > > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or
                                other dead
                                > > > animal- ...
                                > > >
                                > > > Nate
                                > > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Fred blahous
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                                  G'day Larry.

                                  I was rejected because I have flat feet. They just cramp up on me
                                  sometimes and I get unbearable agony. That's why I wear orthodontics.

                                  All the best,
                                  Fred.

                                  --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bump"
                                  <lbump@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                                • Fred blahous
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                                    How strange that the one institution in society which is trained
                                    specifically to kill (hopefully just the baddies) should be the
                                    least corrupted in our society. The medical profession would be the
                                    worst, since they get paid to bump off older patients and
                                    handicapped babies. So much for the caring profession.

                                    All the best,
                                    Fred.

                                    Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
                                    > Cheryl,
                                    >
                                    > > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
                                    > Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
                                    > throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo
                                    paint
                                    > and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
                                    > doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada
                                    does
                                    > not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheryl
                                    >
                                    > I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years (1990-1998), I
                                    > tend to consider it the best time period of my life. I, however,
                                    > did know what I was doing with the weapons they gave me... ;-)
                                    > Then, there were the spiritual weapons that the Lord provided me
                                    > during the same period...well let me tell you what a place to
                                    fully
                                    > excercise one's spiritual gifts and sanctification!
                                    >
                                    > Semper Fi
                                    > Do or Die!
                                    >
                                    > Edgar
                                    >

                                    > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Grenon"
                                    > <cheryl@g...> wrote:
                                    > > Dear Nate,
                                    > >
                                    > > If you could see some of the theological drubbings that are
                                    > sometimes handed out around here you would understand why the
                                    women
                                    > tend to stay on the sidelines in discussion.
                                    > >
                                    > > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
                                    > Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
                                    > throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo
                                    paint
                                    > and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
                                    > doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada
                                    does
                                    > not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheryl

                                    Terms
                                    > of Service.

                                    > -----------
                                  • Fred blahous
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                                      But no-one ever attacks others personally, only positions. This is
                                      the opposite of the Calvin Lives club which I was on for a while,
                                      where they constantly ripped into everyone, from Deano at Calvinist
                                      Singles to Larry Birger at SWRB, etc. This group is a welcome change
                                      from all that.

                                      All the best,
                                      Fred.