Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Reformation continuing atAPURITANSMIND.COM

  • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
      AMEN Gerry! It would be hard to believe that any one of us came to
      the theological convictions we currently hold to over night or even
      within a few weeks. Many times change involves a paradigm shift and
      that will take a bit of time for any one to come to a full and well-
      rounded conviction.

      I do pray that he does become truly convicted and convinced of the
      Covenanted Reformation and becomes a Covenanter as I pray all
      Christians will.

      Thanks for the update Gerry!

      Your Covenanter bro,

      Edgar

      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "keith dotzler"
      > <kdotz@e...> wrote:
      > > "He seems to quote with approbation several authors (including
      the
      > Westminster Confession) which do refer to the Pope as THE
      Antichrist."

      > > Which is MEANINGLESS, Gerry. Ask him those 9 questions. You'll
      see.

      > Those are your questions, and I'll let you ask them if you find it
      > necessary. All I'm saying is that a couple years ago this guy was
      > "Reformed Baptist," and now he's fully professing the Westminster
      > Confession of Faith, and is writing books and articles on the
      Solemn
      > League and Covenant ( http://tinyurl.com/7p9l6 )!
      >
      > Are there things I wish he would say instead of the things he's
      > currently saying? Sure. His links section still has some smart-
      alec
      > comments about Covenanters and Psalmody, but this does not mean I
      am
      > DIS-pleased to see the direction he's going in. To the contrary.
      >
      > Let's remember him in prayer, folks.
      >
      > gmw.
    • keith dotzler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
        Gerry: "Those are your questions, and I'll let you ask them if you find it necessary."

        What's with the sudden retreat, Gerry?!? You made the assertion that McMahon had "apparently come around on the pope being antichrist," based on a single article he wrote about JPII.  When taken to task on your presumption, you then defended your remarks (ignoring what I had said altogether) by stating that: "He seems to quote with approbation several authors (including the Westminster Confession) which do refer to the Pope as THE Antichrist."

        In response to your assertions, I gave you 9 questions to ask McMahon -- the answers to which would either verify or disprove what you think McMahon believes about the Antichrist.

        I also gave you his answers to those 9 questions, as well as a statement he made to me during an e-mail discussion, showing that he does NOT agree with the WCF, nor with the Reformers and Puritans, when he says: We will have to "see" who may be the "one" "giant" Antichrist, that man of sin, when he arises to the scene!

        I don't need to ask McMahon those 9 questions.....I ALREADY HAVE! I supplied them for YOU to ask him, because YOU are the one who seems to be blinded by his clever play on words (e.g., he says the line of Popes are "antichrist," but never directly states that the Pope, with whom we have to do at any given point in time, is THE Antichrist, THE man of sin, and THE Beast).  Read my article "Kicking Against the Pricks" to see what I mean.

        One thing I noticed during our e-mail discussion, was McMahon's ignorance of what the Reformers and Puritans actually believed about the identities of the Antichrist and Mystery Babylon (in fact, he couldn't even keep MY position straight).

        I made the following statement to him:

        "Contrary to your idealist approach to the Revelation, Christians from the Waldenses, Albigenses, and Lollards...to Bishop Cranmer, John Wycliffe, and William Tyndale...to Arthur Dent, Joseph Mede, William Fulke, and King James...to E.B. Elliott, Isaac Newton, and Charles Haddon Spurgeon UNANIMOUSLY found the beast and its false church in ROME!  In other words, your so-called reformed doctrine, which you "can't get enough of," at least as it pertains to eschatology, is in DIRECT OPPOSITION TO THE BELIEFS AND PROCLAMATIONS THAT ABOUNDED BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER THE REFORMATION!"

        In a blatant disregard of the factualness of the above statement, McMahon chose to chide me for not specifically citing sources that proved my above assertion, and, instead, gave me a list of works to read (Downame's Treatise Concerning Antichrist, Wylie's The Papacy is the Antichrist, and Dent's Ruin of Rome, to name but a few).  To put it mildly, he has no idea what is taught within those works...which makes the following statement of his all the more ironic:

        ...you want to be sure you know exactly who said what and what they believed.  What I mean is that when you cite "authoritative sources" for a given argument, you want to make sure they are "academic" sources there as well or people will not take you seriously.  Saying that "Christians all through the centuries" believed "such and such" is no argument unless you cite and prove, by first sources, what they said.

        I've read the three works by Wylie, Downame and Dent -- and many, many more.  In fact, his list of reading material condemns him, for his eschatological beliefs are nowhere near those of the men whose works he recommended!  In response to his comments about citing sources, etc, I said:

        Had I given a hundred SPECIFIC citations from Francis Turretin, William Whitaker, William Fulke, John Jewel, Walter Brute, John Foxe, David Pareus, Henry More, Thomas Brightman, E.B. Elliott, James Durham, Arthur Dent, Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Manton, John Knox, Thomas Boston, William Tyndale, John Wycliffe, Matthew Henry, John Calvin, Joseph Mede, or anyone else, all showing your answers to questions 1-4, for example, to be COMPLETELY WRONG, would you have acknowledged error, and changed your answers?  If so, I WILL GLADLY CITE THEM!!!

        Needless to say, he never took me up on my offer.  Anyone even slightly familiar with Historicism and historicist works, as well as the sheer number of Revelation commentaries that circulated during the Reformation era (I have more than 30 of them from the 16th and 17th centuries alone) can easily ascertain why McMahon ignored the challenge.

        Why won't you ask him those questions, Gerry?  Don't you want to know EXACTLY what his position is?  If you don't want to ask him all 9 questions, ask him these 3:

        1)  Who is THE Antichrist TODAY?
        2)  Who is the man of sin TODAY?
        3)  Who is the Little Horn TODAY?

        My posts to you were never about McMahon's "direction."  You said he had apparently COME AROUND to the Pope being antichrist.  Having interacted with him last April, and based on the testimony of others who have contacted him over the last year, I know he hasn't.

        McMahon is not an historicist.  He's an idealist, with some futurist tendencies.  Idealists won't pin the identities of the Antichrist, the beast, the man of sin, the whore, et. al. on any specific person or kingdom.  Idealists refrain from any and all interpretations that are "time-bound."

        "...and now he's fully professing the Westminster Confession of Faith,..."

        His "full profession" is worthless when his actions/statements CONTRADICT IT!  One only has to look as far as Judas Iscariot to see this truth in action.

        I wouldn't be so passionate about this, were McMahon an ordinary laymen.  On the contrary, he's in the role of pastor, teacher, and author; therefore, one is fully entitled to expect him to have his "ducks in a row" before disseminating his beliefs on a world wide website.

        He's been confronted MANY times about the identity of the Antichrist (by his own admission to me during our discussion), yet he still holds to eschatological interpretations wholly unknown to the Reformers and Puritans.  I tried correcting him.  Only God knows how many have followed him in his error all these YEARS.

        His readers and "students" shouldn't have to wonder whether he's teaching and preaching the truth presently, or if he's simply "heading in the right direction."

        Don't let his new-found Covenanter beliefs blind you to his blatant rejection of that which the pre-reformers, Reformers and Puritans taught for centuries, concerning the Antichrist.  They didn't look for the "one" "giant" Antichrist, that man of sin, to arise on the scene at some point in the future, but proclaimed him to be IN THEIR MIDST!

        Keith

        > "He seems to quote with approbation several authors (including the
        Westminster Confession) which do refer to the Pope as THE Antichrist."

        > Which is MEANINGLESS, Gerry.  Ask him those 9 questions.  You'll see.

        Those are your questions, and I'll let you ask them if you find it
        necessary.  All I'm saying is that a couple years ago this guy was a

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
          AMEN Gerry!   It would be hard to believe that any one of us came to
          the theological convictions we currently hold to over night or even
          within a few weeks.  Many times change involves a paradigm shift and
          that will take a bit of time for any one to come to a full and well-
          rounded conviction.

          Yes, and the Lord will only send so many to warn him of his error.  By his own admission, I wasn't the first.  The fact that he has taken upon himself the roles he has, makes him all the more accountable.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
            keith dotzler wrote:

            > What's with the sudden retreat, Gerry?!? You made the assertion that
            > McMahon had /"apparently come around on the pope being antichrist,"/
            > based on a single article he wrote about JPII. When taken to task on
            > your presumption, you then defended your remarks (ignoring what I had
            > said altogether) by stating that: /"He seems to quote with approbation
            > several authors (including the Westminster Confession) which do refer
            > to the Pope as THE Antichrist."/

            No retreat, Keith. Apparently you've read that article with different
            glasses on than I did. I found what he wrote very encouraging, while
            you do not. Apparently that's because of conversations you've had with
            him in the past, and that's fine. I've not had those conversations, and
            so I do not share the negative views. I'm asking folks to continue to
            pray for this man who has continually shown reformation over the past
            few years. I find that encouraging. That's all.

            > -- the answers to which would either verify or disprove what you think
            > McMahon believes about the Antichrist.

            Oh, I don't know. You see, I believe one can believe that the Pope is
            THE Antichrist, and yet not understand, or agree with you, about who the
            little horn is. They are your questions. If you want to re-ask him to
            satisfy your requirements, go ahead. That's ok.

            > I don't _need_ to ask McMahon those 9 questions.....

            And neither does anyone else.

            > I ALREADY HAVE! I supplied them for YOU to ask him, because YOU are
            > the one who seems to be blinded by his clever play on words

            Blinded? I am not blinded. I am being very cautious, yet optimistic as
            I witness the furthering of his reformation. I believe he's been
            heading in the right direction for quite some time now, and I suggest
            that we pray for this to continue, so that he does fully develop his own
            thinking in the Scriptural and Confessional way.

            > One thing I noticed during our e-mail discussion, was McMahon's
            > ignorance of what the Reformers and Puritans actually believed about
            > the identities of the Antichrist and Mystery Babylon (in fact, he
            > couldn't even keep MY position straight).

            Which is part of the reason why I was pleased to see him quote people
            and the Confession which are stating the Reformed and Puritan view.
            Will you not pray for his continued reformation with me?

            > Why won't you ask him those questions, Gerry? Don't you want to know
            > EXACTLY what his position is?

            His answers to your nine questions are less important to me than the
            glimmers of light I am continually seeing come from him over these past
            few years. I do not doubt that if he continues on this path, he will
            come to the right conclusion regarding Antichrist even if he is not 100%
            there already.

            Shoot me for being hopeful, why don't ya?

            :-)

            > 1) Who is *THE* Antichrist _TODAY_?
            > 2) Who is the man of sin _TODAY_?
            > 3) Who is the Little Horn _TODAY_?

            Not my style. YOUR style, maybe. Not mine. Mine would be more like,
            "Hey, I just wanted to drop you a note of encouragement. I've read many
            of your articles over the years and noticed that more and more you truly
            are evidencing "A Puritan's Mind." I'm especially pleased that you've
            reconsidered your position on infant baptism, adopting the Westminster
            Standards, and the Solemn League and Covenant. I appreciated your
            article on the Pope, too. Tell me, are you convinced that the
            Confession's statement on the Pope is true, that the Pope is THE
            predicted Antichrist, THAT Man of Sin?"

            That would be more like my style.

            > My posts to you were never about McMahon's "direction." You said he
            > had apparently _COME AROUND_ to the Pope being antichrist.

            Apparently was the word I used. Yes. So sorry it caused you so much
            offense. ;)

            gmw.
          • personalwg@chartermi.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
              Interesting dialogue. Nicely written Gerry! You and Keith are in my
              prayers.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
                Well, thank you for the compliment, and for the prayers. You might
                arnot know it by our current discussion, but I consider Keith and me
                to be buds!

                gmw.