Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The precision of soundness.

  • Antonio Menendez
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 7:40 PM
      Daniel, the 2nd reformation churches in Scotland from times past required a basic understanding of the shorter catechism and various things that are implied in that understanding as well as a life free of public scandal. A helpful book to read on the aspect of suspension from the Lord's supper and the like would be Aaron's Rod Blossoming by George Gillespie. I endorse the book especially referencing discipline in the church. I also would be more than willing to go through any questions with on the side about some thoughts I have on the subject if you would like. You can email me at amenendez78@... .

      In Christ our Prophet, Priest and King,

      Tony Menendez
      Albany, NY
      reformedaugustinian

      Daniel <ddrost@...> wrote:
      Maybe this is something that someone can answer. Most here, I would
      assume, agree that you have to ban anyone from the Lord's Supper who
      has unsound doctrine and life or lack in believing nessesary
      doctrines. This is something we have to accept and I agree with it.
      Of course, what is the standard? But this isn't really my question
      (although, I would like to find out what that is as well), my
      question is in the next paragraphs.

      This line, whatever it is, is something that is scaringly precise.
      That would mean that if you are one bit too liberal for whatever this
      standard is, then you can't attend the Lord's Supper, and also, if
      you are one bit legalistic for it then you can't attend the Lord's
      Supper. Also, if you have one doctrine which contradicts this
      standard then you can't have the Lord's Supper.

      This is a reality which I can't resolve because no matter how much
      you lower the standard it is still JUST AS precise and how can mere
      men ever do this correctly!!!

      Some might just say, "Well, we just have to accept that it is flawed
      in every church and do the best we can." But here is the problem,

      1) If this standard can never be properly maintained, and

      2) I shouldn't sit at the Lord's Table with any one who violates it
      or shouldn't sit at it myself if I violate it then,

      3) The only logical conclusion I can see is that I can never take the
      Lord's supper!

      I know that I am missing something, please tell me. Because I know
      that we will never be perfect and thank God for Christ's blood but
      how can a christian justify sitting at the Lord's Supper if every
      christian agrees that no church is perfect? This is not an arguement
      but a question because I am not trying to argue that christians
      shouldn't take the Lord's Supper! Remember, I am not struggling with
      the fac that I think a church should have to be perfect but that it
      should at least perfectly maintain church discipline (and none do).

      In Christ,

      Daniel Drost

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Walt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 4:27 PM
        Tony, just noticed you made it to Albany. Wishing you all the best
        dear brother! Walt.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Menendez
        if you would like. You can email me at amenendez78@l... .

        > In Christ our Prophet, Priest and King,
        >
        > Tony Menendez
        > Albany, NY
        > reformedaugustinian
        >
        > Daniel <ddrost@P...> wrote:
        > Maybe this is something that someone can answer. Most here, I would
        > assume, agree that you have to ban anyone from the Lord's Supper who
        > has unsound doctrine and life or lack in believing nessesary
        > doctrines. This is something we have to accept and I agree with it.
        > Of course, what is the standard? But this isn't really my question
        > (although, I would like to find out what that is as well), my
        > question is in the next paragraphs.
        >
        > This line, whatever it is, is something that is scaringly precise.
        > That would mean that if you are one bit too liberal for whatever this
        > standard is, then you can't attend the Lord's Supper, and also, if
        > you are one bit legalistic for it then you can't attend the Lord's
        > Supper. Also, if you have one doctrine which contradicts this
        > standard then you can't have the Lord's Supper.
        >
        > This is a reality which I can't resolve because no matter how much
        > you lower the standard it is still JUST AS precise and how can mere
        > men ever do this correctly!!!
        >
        > Some might just say, "Well, we just have to accept that it is flawed
        > in every church and do the best we can." But here is the problem,
        >
        > 1) If this standard can never be properly maintained, and
        >
        > 2) I shouldn't sit at the Lord's Table with any one who violates it
        > or shouldn't sit at it myself if I violate it then,
        >
        > 3) The only logical conclusion I can see is that I can never take the
        > Lord's supper!
        >
        > I know that I am missing something, please tell me. Because I know
        > that we will never be perfect and thank God for Christ's blood but
        > how can a christian justify sitting at the Lord's Supper if every
        > christian agrees that no church is perfect? This is not an arguement
        > but a question because I am not trying to argue that christians
        > shouldn't take the Lord's Supper! Remember, I am not struggling with
        > the fac that I think a church should have to be perfect but that it
        > should at least perfectly maintain church discipline (and none do).
        >
        > In Christ,
        >
        > Daniel Drost

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail
        > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
      • Antonio Menendez
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 10:44 AM
          Yeah, I should be getting my phone hooked up soon and will be able to give you a call sometime maybe this week or next.

          <antonio26_2005@y...> wrote:
> [...]

          > 3) The only logical conclusion I can see is that I can never take the
          > Lord's supper!
          >
          > I know that I am missing something, please tell me. Because I know
          > that we will never be perfect and thank God for Christ's blood but
          > how can a christian justify sitting at the Lord's Supper if every
          > christian agrees that no church is perfect? This is not an arguement
          > but a question because I am not trying to argue that christians
          > shouldn't take the Lord's Supper! Remember, I am not struggling with
          > the fac that I think a church should have to be perfect but that it
          > should at least perfectly maintain church discipline (and none do).
          >
          > In Christ,
          >
          > Daniel Drost

          > Yahoo! Mail
          >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11 10:00 PM
            Thank you all for your advice, I would like to get that book by
            George Gillespy at some point. God bless.