Re: Text types

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 24 , May 5, 2005
      Keith,

      I can't rule that out I guess. God could do that if he wanted to. So
      do you believe that (a) certain translation(s) is (or are) actually
      completely inspired? I don't see why that couldn't be the case! I
      guess I spoke to soon.

      Dan Drost
    • keith dotzler
      Message 2 of 24 , May 5, 2005

        Bro Edgar,

        I am neither Lutheran NOR Baptist.

        I WAS Baptist for 11 years, and, prior to that, Roman Catholic from childhood.  Since my eyes were opened to the Doctrines of Grace and the Papal Antichrist, I now consider myself an elect child of God (who has mercy on whom He will have mercy...leaving vast multitudes yet blinded to things I, by His grace alone, now see), and proudly consider myself Reformed and truly Protestant.

        "...when will you give up your will-worship and truly worship God as He has commanded, i.e. singing using the 150 Psalms alone without the use of instruments, observing the Lord's Day alone & not other "holy"-days, not having pictures of hippies anywhere and call those pictures of hippies, "Jesus", and other religious symbols that cause veneration, abandoning the false notions of Consubstantiation (which is Rome in disguise), and etc."

        What makes you think I am a will-worshipper, sing to instruments at "church," observe "holy" days, have pictures of Jesus hanging on my walls, and venerate crosses and other religious symbols?

        Regarding pictures of Jesus and other religious symbols, I whole-heartedly agree with Claude of Turin (9th century), when he states:

        "God commands us to bear our cross, and not to worship it; but these are all for worshipping it; whereas they do not bear it at all, neither will they bear it either corporally or spiritually: to serve God after this manner is to go a whoring from him. For if we ought to adore the cross, because Christ was fastened to it, how many other things are there which touched Jesus Christ, and which he made according to the flesh? Did not he continue nine months in the womb of the Virgin? Why do not they then on the same score worship all that are virgins, because a virgin brought forth Jesus Christ? Why do not they adore mangers and old clouts, because he was laid in a manger, and wrapped in swaddling clothes? Why do not they adore fisher-boats, because he slept in one of them, and preached to the multitudes, and caused a net to be cast out, wherewith was caught a miraculous quantity of fish? Let them adore asses, because he entered into Jerusalem upon the foal of an ass; and lambs, because it is written of him, Behold the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sins of the world. But these sort of men would rather eat live lambs than worship their images. Why do not they worship lions, because he is called the Lion of the tribe of Judah? Or rocks, because it is said, And the Rock was Christ? or thorns, because he was crowned with them? or lances, because one of them pierced his side?" (Claude of Turin - 9th century witness against the Papacy, cited by Peter Allix in The Ecclesiastical History of the Ancient Churches of the Piedmont and the Albigenses, chap. 9)

        Keith

        Message 3 of 24 , May 5, 2005
          Brother Keith,

          > I am neither Lutheran NOR Baptist.

          I know you are not a Lutheran, but I believed you were/are a
          Reformed Baptist from the profile I saw on you. If I was wrong here,
          please forgive me.

          > I WAS Baptist for 11 years, and, prior to that, Roman Catholic
          from childhood. Since my eyes were opened to the Doctrines of Grace
          and the Papal Antichrist, I now consider myself an elect child of
          God (who has mercy on whom He will have mercy...leaving vast
          multitudes yet blinded to things I, by His grace alone, now see),
          and proudly consider myself Reformed and truly Protestant.

          I praise God with you that you are Reformed and that the LORD has
          made you His!

          As for the rest of my comments, they were directed in a more general
          sense, although addressed to you and Dr. Letis as well. Now, if you
          do in fact worship God as He has commanded and do not employ the use
          of man-made hymns and etc., then I praise God and rejoice that He
          has freed you from this idolatry, and if I perceived that you were
          still trapped in that idolatry from my lack of memory, then I also
          ask for you forgiveness here. But, you must also admit that the
          great majority of Protestants, including those calling themselves
          Reformed, have drunk from the cup of idolatry when it comes to the
          public worship of God and engage in will-worship and have followed
          Rome in this instance. Many hack at the branches of Romanism, while
          not going after the root, lest they find themselves chopping at the
          root that they themselves share with Rome.

          If I misunderstood you, Keith in this regards, my humble apologies.

          Yours in Christ,

          <kdotz@e...> wrote:

          > Bro Edgar,
          >
          > I am neither Lutheran NOR Baptist.
          >
          > I WAS Baptist for 11 years, and, prior to that, Roman Catholic
          from childhood. Since my eyes were opened to the Doctrines of Grace
          and the Papal Antichrist, I now consider myself an elect child of
          God (who has mercy on whom He will have mercy...leaving vast
          multitudes yet blinded to things I, by His grace alone, now see),
          and proudly consider myself Reformed and truly Protestant.

          > "...when will you give up your will-worship and truly worship God
          as He has commanded, i.e. singing using the 150 Psalms alone without
          the use of instruments, observing the Lord's Day alone & not
          other "holy"-days, not having pictures of hippies anywhere and call
          those pictures of hippies, "Jesus", and other religious symbols that
          cause veneration, abandoning the false notions of Consubstantiation
          (which is Rome in disguise), and etc."

          > What makes you think I am a will-worshipper, sing to instruments
          at "church," observe "holy" days, have pictures of Jesus hanging on
          my walls, and venerate crosses and other religious symbols?

          > Regarding pictures of Jesus and other religious symbols, I whole-
          heartedly agree with Claude of Turin (9th century), when he states:

          > "God commands us to bear our cross, and not to worship it; but
          these are all for worshipping it; whereas they do not bear it at
          all, neither will they bear it either corporally or spiritually: to
          serve God after this manner is to go a whoring from him. For if we
          ought to adore the cross, because Christ was fastened to it, how
          many other things are there which touched Jesus Christ, and which he
          made according to the flesh? Did not he continue nine months in the
          womb of the Virgin? Why do not they then on the same score worship
          all that are virgins, because a virgin brought forth Jesus Christ?
          Why do not they adore mangers and old clouts, because he was laid in
          a manger, and wrapped in swaddling clothes? Why do not they adore
          fisher-boats, because he slept in one of them, and preached to the
          multitudes, and caused a net to be cast out, wherewith was caught a
          miraculous quantity of fish? Let them adore asses, because he
          entered into Jerusalem upon the foal of an ass; and lambs, because
          it is written of him, Behold the Lamb of God, that taketh away the
          sins of the world. But these sort of men would rather eat live lambs
          than worship their images. Why do not they worship lions, because he
          is called the Lion of the tribe of Judah? Or rocks, because it is
          said, And the Rock was Christ? or thorns, because he was crowned
          with them? or lances, because one of them pierced his side?" (Claude
          of Turin - 9th century witness against the Papacy, cited by Peter
          Allix in The Ecclesiastical History of the Ancient Churches of the
          Piedmont and the Albigenses, chap. 9)

          > Keith

          Service.
        • keith dotzler
          Message 4 of 24 , May 5, 2005
            I know you are not a Lutheran, but I believed you were/are a
            Reformed Baptist from the profile I saw on you. If I was wrong here,
            please forgive me.

            Yes, I have to change my profile...one of these days.

            I couldn't remain a Baptist, even as a new Calvinist, once my eyes were opened to the Biblical mode and subjects of Christian Baptism.

            Furthermore, I mentioned in a post to Robbie, I think, that the phrase "Reformed Baptist" is an oxy-moron.  The Reformers baptized infants, and certainly did not restrict Christian baptism to immersion alone.  Baptists, therefore, are guilty of schism.

            BTW, there is nothing to forgive, Edgar.  Don't fret.  ;-)

            Now, if you do in fact worship God as He has commanded and do not employ the use of man-made hymns and etc., then I praise God and rejoice that He has freed you from this idolatry, and if I perceived that you were still trapped in that idolatry from my lack of memory, then I also
            ask for you forgiveness here.

            Again, there's nothing to forgive, Edgar, but you certainly have it.

            I'm far from perfect, but I do read a good amount of the posts here, as well as the stuff on the Reformation Bookshelf CDs.  Prior to getting those CDs, and joining this club, I had no idea about the hymn issue.   ;-)

            I'd like to mention something.  You might notice my mentioning of "having my eyes opened" to more than just a few issues.  Believe me, it didn't all come at once, nor was it via some Pentecostal state of ecstasy.  Once the Lord revealed the truth regarding my salvation, I began studying the various doctrines of the Reformation with an intensity I've never before experienced.  From the Doctrines of grace, to the Papal antichrist, to Baptism.....I delved into everything I could get my hands on, from the 16th century forward, and inhaled it all like a gust of fresh air.  Truly the wind bloweth where it listeth, and the works of the dead who have died in the Lord, whom Christ calls "blessed," do follow them......

            <kdotz@e...> wrote:

            > Bro Edgar,
            >
            > I am neither Lutheran NOR Baptist.
            >
            > I WAS Baptist for 11 years, and, prior to that, Roman Catholic
            from childhood.  Since my eyes were opened to the Doctrines of Grace
            and the Papal Antichrist, I now consider myself an elect child of
            God (who has mercy on whom He will have mercy...leaving vast
            multitudes yet blinded to things I, by His grace alone, now see),
            and proudly consider myself Reformed and truly Protestant.

            > "...when will you give up your will-worship and truly worship God
            as He has commanded, i.e. singing using the 150 Psalms alone without
            the use of instruments, observing the Lord's Day alone & not
            other "holy"-days, not having pictures of hippies anywhere and call
            those pictures of hippies, "Jesus", and other religious symbols that
            cause veneration, abandoning the false notions of Consubstantiation
            (which is Rome in disguise), and etc."

            > What makes you think I am a will-worshipper, sing to instruments
            at "church," observe "holy" days, have pictures of Jesus hanging on
            my walls, and venerate crosses and other religious symbols?

            > Regarding pictures of Jesus and other religious symbols, I whole-
            heartedly agree with Claude of Turin (9th century), when he states:

            > "God commands us to bear our cross, and not to worship it; but
            these are all for worshipping it; whereas they do not bear it at
            all, neither will they bear it either corporally or spiritually: to
            serve God after this manner is to go a whoring from him. For if we
            ought to adore the cross, because Christ was fastened to it, how
            many other things are there which touched Jesus Christ, and which he
            made according to the flesh? Did not he continue nine months in the
            womb of the Virgin? Why do not they then on the same score worship
            all that are virgins, because a virgin brought forth Jesus Christ?
            Why do not they adore mangers and old clouts, because he was laid in
            a manger, and wrapped in swaddling clothes? Why do not they adore
            fisher-boats, because he slept in one of them, and preached to the
            multitudes, and caused a net to be cast out, wherewith was caught a
            miraculous quantity of fish? Let them adore asses, because he
            entered into Jerusalem upon the foal of an ass; and lambs, because
            it is written of him, Behold the Lamb of God, that taketh away the
            sins of the world. But these sort of men would rather eat live lambs
            than worship their images. Why do not they worship lions, because he
            is called the Lion of the tribe of Judah? Or rocks, because it is
            said, And the Rock was Christ? or thorns, because he was crowned
            with them? or lances, because one of them pierced his side?" (Claude
            of Turin - 9th century witness against the Papacy, cited by Peter
            Allix in The Ecclesiastical History of the Ancient Churches of the
            Piedmont and the Albigenses, chap. 9)

            > Keith

            Service.

          • Ben Hart
            Message 5 of 24 , May 6, 2005
              3 questions for you Keith:

              1 - Do you know any other languages well enough to have grappled with
              the issue of translation?

              2 - What exactly would a 'pure' translation be?

              3 - How does Dan's statement commit him to Popery?

              Message 6 of 24 , May 6, 2005
                1 - Do you know any other languages well enough to have grappled with the issue of translation?

                What does that have to do with anything, other than being a red herring?  Are you here to tell us that we must all speak Greek and Hebrew to have the pure word of God?

                What I have seen, as I've been studying Church history these last 3 years, is innumerable multitudes of witnesses like the Waldenses, Albigenses, Henricians, Arnoldistae, Paulicians, Lollards - along with the Reformers and Puritans - ALL believing that what they had in their day, and in their language.....be it the Romaunt translations of the ancient Christians, or the English translations, beginning with Wycliffe's,  was inspired and pure Scripture

                You won't find them questioning the purity of the Scriptures they had in their hands, and with which they refuted the blasphemous teachings of the Church of Rome, at all!  They never "grappled" with the mistaken notion that Hebrew and Greek words couldn't be translated into their language, without those inspired words losing their purity.

                I don't see any "grappling" on Moses' part, when he translated and wrote all of Joseph's Egyptian words to his brethren in HEBREW.

                I also don't see any "grappling" on Daniel's part, when he translated Nebuchadnezzar's Chaldean words into HEBREW.

                In fact, I don't see Moses or Daniel (or any other prophet or Apostle in the word of God) asking the Lord about the issue at all.  Unlike the intellectual elite of today, Moses and Daniel weren't indoctrinated with the silly notion that inspired Scripture loses its purity and inspiration when translated into another tongue.  Such is a Popish notion, because it was the Papacy that kept the Bible hidden from the people for centuries, as well as restricting the Scriptures to the Latin tongue alone.  William Tyndale was strangled and burned at the stake by the Papal beast, not only for his anti-papal stance, but for daring to translate the Scriptures into the English tongue.  Tyndale is one more, in a long line of witnesses, who never "grappled" with the purity, or lack thereof, of the Scriptures he had just translated from Hebrew and Greek into the English tongue.

                Are you of the mind that English speakers can never know PRECISELY what God originally said to Moses at the top of Mt. Sinai, and must settle, instead, for the "impure" English translation of the Hebrew account?

                2 - What exactly would a 'pure' translation be?

                I provided one in the very post you are responding to

                Why is it that Joseph and Nebuchadnezzar's "ORIGINAL" words (Egyptian and Chaldean), translated into Hebrew, are considered pure.....but translating those pure Hebrew words into English IS NOT?

                Furthermore, did their words lose some of their purity, as they were translated from their original tongue into Hebrew?

                3 - How does Dan's statement commit him to Popery?

                I didn't commit Dan to Popery.  I should have noted that the first paragraph ALONE was directed at him.

                I then redirected my attention to the ridiculous arguments made by the proponents of the modern perversions, which I've encountered countless times over the last 5 years, having previously been heavily involved in the Bible version debate.

                Here's a question for you:  Is the following inspired and pure, as it stands in the English of the KJV?

                John 11:35  Jesus wept.

                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2005
                  > 1 - Do you know any other languages well enough to have grappled
                  with the issue of translation?

                  > What does that have to do with anything, other than being a red
                  herring? Are you here to tell us that we must all speak Greek and
                  Hebrew to have the pure word of God?

                  Don't assume more in my question than what's in there. I'm not
                  saying we don't have a good translation. My question was if you
                  know any language - doesn't matter what one. I ask only because you
                  might have some appreciation for the fact that it's not always a 1
                  to 1 relationship between languages. At times (though not usually)
                  there is a bit lost, but of course the overall meaning is preserved,
                  although an emphasis may be lost. In that way I don't think it was
                  a red herring; it was ad hominem though, and you may take issue with
                  that if you'd like. I was questioning your credentials and
                  experience to make such a claim, because if you knew any other
                  language, you might be quick to at least qualify your statements.

                  > Are you of the mind that English speakers can never know PRECISELY
                  what God originally said to Moses at the top of Mt. Sinai, and must
                  settle, instead, for the "impure" English translation of the Hebrew
                  account?

                  Umm...yes and no; see below.

                  > 2 - What exactly would a 'pure' translation be?
                  >

                  > I provided one in the very post you are responding to!
                  >
                  > Why is it that Joseph and Nebuchadnezzar's "ORIGINAL" words
                  (Egyptian and Chaldean), translated into Hebrew, are considered
                  pure.....but translating those pure Hebrew words into English IS
                  NOT?

                  > Furthermore, did their words lose some of their purity, as they
                  were translated from their original tongue into Hebrew?

                  Where does it say the translation was 'pure' and just what do you
                  mean by pure? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to
                  understnad what you mean. Do you mean idiomatically pure? Pure
                  with respect to sense? Pure with respect to the verbal tokens? Or
                  maybe something else? You didn't answer my question which is why I
                  asked it.

                  > Here's a question for you: Is the following inspired and pure, as
                  it stands in the English of the KJV?

                  > John 11:35 Jesus wept.

                  As I see it - it's probably pure (I haven't looked up the Greek),
                  but I'll implicitly believe the translators and textual critics
                  along with the compilers of the canon that it's in the Bible and
                  correctly translated. Anyone who knows Greek please comment here,
                  but as I looked it up, the verb is in the aorist tense, which if I
                  remember correctly is difficult to get exactly the perfect sense
                  into English because we only have the imperfect and the perfect
                  tense, but not something corresponding to a tenseless completed
                  action.

                  Inspired? Well, sort of. In the strictest sense, no. It's neither
                  Greek nor is it one of the autographs; in a slightly looser sense,
                  it is inspired in that it correctly reflects the autographs
                  faithfully translated into English and maintains the original sense
                  and therefore weight.

                  A caveat - please don't jump on me and start telling me I'm
                  committing myself to some Popish position or something like that.
                  I've just begun thinking about this, so allow a man a degree of
                  ignorance you obviously lack. IOW, if I don't come to the perfect
                  position right away, have patience with your brother; Rome wasn't
                  built in a day, nor are great theologians.

                  -Ben
                • Cheryl
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2005
                    Ben said, en francais:

                    <<N'assumez pas plus en ma question que ce qui est dedans là.  Je suis ne disant pas nous n'ai pas une bonne traduction.  Ma question était si vous savez n'importe quelle langue - n'importe pas ce qui une.  Je demande seulement parce que vous pourriez avoir une certaine appréciation pour le fait que ce n'est pas toujours un rapport 1 à 1 entre les langues.  Parfois (cependant pas habituellement) il y a un peu perdu, mais naturellement la signification globale est préservée, bien qu'une emphase puisse être perdue.  De cette façon je ne pense pas que c'était un hareng rouge;  c'était hominem d'annonce cependant, et vous pouvez contester cela si vous voudriez.  J'interrogeais vos qualifications et expérience pour faire une telle réclamation, parce que si vous saviez n'importe quelle autre langue, vous pourriez être rapide pour qualifier au moins vos rapports.>>

                    Which being translated back to English says:

                    <<Do not assume more in my question that what is inside there.  I am not saying do not have us a good translation.  My question was if you know any language - does not import what one.  I ask only because you could have a certain appreciation for the fact that it is not always a relationship 1 to 1 between the languages.  Sometimes (however not usually) it lost a little there, but naturally the total significance is preserved, although a emphase can be lost.  In this way I do not think that it was a red herring;  it was hominem of advertisement however, and you can dispute that if you would like.  I questioned your qualifications and experiment to make such a complaint, because if you knew any other language, you could be fast to qualify at least your reports/ratios.>>

                    Original quote:

                    <<Don't assume more in my question than what's in there.  I'm not
                    saying we don't have a good translation.  My question was if you
                    know any language - doesn't matter what one.  I ask only because you
                    might have some appreciation for the fact that it's not always a 1
                    to 1 relationship between languages.  At times (though not usually)
                    there is a bit lost, but of course the overall meaning is preserved,
                    although an emphasis may be lost.  In that way I don't think it was
                    a red herring; it was ad hominem though, and you may take issue with
                    that if you'd like.  I was questioning your credentials and
                    experience to make such a claim, because if you knew any other
                    language, you might be quick to at least qualify your statements.>>

                    Just having a bit of fun translating things back and forth on Google...

                    Cheryl
                  • bsuden@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 14, 2005
                      12823From: Jim Pellegrini <falcon5064@...>
                      Date: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:22pm
                      Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Text types
                      falcon5064

                      What about the doctrine of providential preservation?
                      Has not God preserved His word for the church
                      throughout all generations? In reading this debate, I
                      have not heard someone mention this doctrine, which is
                      a key piece of the puzzle in this debate.

                      While we are a day late and a dollar or two short on this, Mr. Pellegrini and Dr. Letis are entirely
                      too correct.
                      The discussion from message 12814 has entirely neglected the doctrine of providential
                      preservation. Or at least a proper exposition of it, which is the same thing.
                      The whole argument that nothing is lost whatever family of manuscripts is used is bogus.
                      If we buy into the modern eclectic text critical opinion here, the one doctrine lost, the one
                      doctrine sacrificed, is that of God's providential preservation of faithful and infallible copies of
                      the autographa in the common usage of the Greek speaking church.
                      And when that happens, the Reformation doctrine of the Word of God as set forth in Chapt. 1 of
                      the WCF starts to unravel. And as WCF 1 goes, so goes the rest of the WCF and the other
                      subordinate standards built upon it.
                      If we do not have, if the church of Jesus Christ has not always had, since the close of canon, a
                      pure text providentially preserved in Greek and Hebrew, faithful infallible copies of the original
                      manuscripts, it makes no difference if the Bible is inspired, perspicuous, infallible etc. because
                      we can't be sure we have a faithful copy of the Bible to begin with. Every paragraph in the WCF is an integral and irreplaceable
                      part of the whole; a facet in the diamond, a rung in Jacob's ladder.
                      You cannot pick and choose. You cannot put the Alexandrian or "Neutral" or Western text along
                      side of the Byzantine and say they all represent the same essential text, that nothing is lost etc.
                      etc. because prov. preservation/WCF 1:8 IS lost and we are then at the mercy of the textual
                      scholars, eclectism and the latest discovery of a new manuscript.
                      You might as well go the whole route and allow for the Book of Mormon to be added to the
                      canon because Joe Smith just found it and yes, the Lord must have let his church limp along on
                      five or six cylinders for 18 centuries, even the great Reformation church, until modern times and
                      modern scholars like Westcott, Hort, Joseph Smith and who else, Fred Flintstone?
                      In other words, providential preservation is an integral part of WCF Chapt. 1 and WCF Chapt. 1
                      is all or nothing affair. Take out any paragraph you like, whether 1:8 or not and it all crumbles.
                      Even further, it is embarassing when Dr. Letis has to come on and clean up people's abc's on this forum when the WCF is not even a subordinate standard in his church.

                      cordially in Christ
                      Bob Suden
                      Lynden, Wa.
                      RPNA,GM
                    • Theodore Letis
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 20, 2005
                        The following was received by me this morning. Keep you eyes on Warren...but at a distance!

                        TPL

                        Lighthouse Trails Publishing Responds to Rick Warren

                        June 17, 2005

                        On May 31st, 2005 we received an email from Rick Warren. Within hours of receiving this email, we learned that the email had been posted on the Internet. After prayerful consideration, we have come to the conclusion that we will not provide a personal response to Rick Warren regarding the email we received. However, we are compelled to address this situation publicly.

                        While in the process of preparing a response, we soon realized that the contents of the email sent to us by Rick Warren were misleading and contained much misinformation. And having now witnessed the mocking tone by those involved with Rick Warren, we have decided we cannot, in good conscience, engage with people who go to such great lengths to hide the truth.

                        On April 20th, 2005 Lighthouse Trails Publishing issued a press release, showing the connections between Rick Warren and New Age sympathizer Ken Blanchard. In our release we used a line from George Mair's book A Life With Purpose (a biography of Rick Warren). While the press release was not at all contingent on the quote by Mair (it being used only as a qualifier), Rick Warren's email to us focused primarily on George Mair. The assumption was that if Mair could be discredited then our press release would be invalid. However, the evidence we provided is solid, and we therefore stand behind our press release.

                        The real issue addressed in the press release was concerning Ken Blanchard—a man who, according to Rick Warren, has "signed on" to help implement Warren's global Peace Plan. Both in the press release and on our research web site, we have provided numerous instances where Blanchard has shown his endorsement and promotion of the New Age such as in the Foreword of the 2001 book, What Would Buddha Do At Work?, in which Ken Blanchard states:

                        Buddha points to the path and invites us to begin our journey to enlightenment. I point to this little jewel of a book and invite you to begin (or continue) your journey to enlightened work.

                        Blanchard's latest endorsement of the New Age centers around Vijay Eswaran's book, In the Sphere of SILENCE, a June 2005 release that promotes the inner silence through mystical prayer practices, i.e. contemplative prayer. Of the book, Ken Blanchard states:

                        This book is a wonderful guide on how to enter the realm of silence and draw closer to God.

                        Such comments speak for themselves. And yet, this same Ken Blanchard will, later this summer, share a speaking platform with Rick Warren in the Leadership Summit 2005, which will be broadcast to 100 cities and over 50,000 leaders throughout North America!

                        What has baffled us most is that Rick Warren and those affiliated with him would spend more time contending with a small Christian publishing company than they do contending for the faith. With New Age doctrines influencing millions of people worldwide and within the Christian church, Rick Warren seems more intent on discrediting his critics than in exposing spiritual deception.

                        As for Lighthouse Trails Publishing, we will continue researching pertinent issues, while publishing books that minister to and assist the body of Christ and reach out to the lost with the true message of salvation, which is through Jesus Christ alone.

                        We want to thank the faithful ministries, churches, and brothers and sisters who have committed themselves to defending the precious faith and say to you:

                        In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ (I Peter 1:6-7) .

                        May God bless each of you who is truly contending for the faith. We appreciate you and feel privileged to stand with you.

                        David and Deborah Dombrowski
                        Lighthouse Trails Publishing
                        Lighthouse Trails Research Project
                        email: editor@...
                        phone: (503) 873-9092

                        P.S. Because the private email we received from Rick Warren was made public on the Internet and because there is so much misinformation in that email we have provided some additional documentation and resources that may be helpful to you.

                        Click Here for Additional Information
                        Including:
                        Email from Rick Warren
                        A Closer Look at the Email
                        and much more.

                        [Reformatted & Reprinted by Permission of Lighthouse Trails Publishing]

                        Theodore P. Letis

                        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                      • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 20, 2005
                          Who is Rick Warren?

                          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Theodore Letis
                          <bucerian@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                          honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ (I Peter 1:6-7) .

                          > May God bless each of you who is truly contending for the faith.
                          We appreciate you and feel privileged to stand with you.
                          > David and Deborah Dombrowski
                          > Lighthouse Trails Publishing
                          > Lighthouse Trails Research Project
                          > email: editor@l...
                          > phone: (503) 873-9092
                          >
                          > P.S. Because the private email we received from Rick Warren was
                          made public on the Internet and because there is so much
                          misinformation in that email we have provided some additional
                          documentation and resources that may be helpful to you.

                          > Click Here for Additional Information
                          > Including:
                          > Email from Rick Warren
                          > A Closer Look at the Email and much more.
                          >
                          > [Reformatted & Reprinted by Permission of Lighthouse Trails

                        • Kevin Guillory
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 20, 2005
                            On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:57:06 -0400, Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
                            <puritanpresbyterian@...> wrote:

                            > Who is Rick Warren?

                            That you have to ask indicates that you are indeed blessed. Seriously!
                            Rick Warren is a "pastor" of a megachurch (Saddleback). He's also the
                            author of a "how to grow a megachurch" book ("The Purpose Driven Church")
                            that describes in detail how one is to cater to the whims, fancies,
                            trends, fads, and perceived needs of a local population in order to found
                            a "church" that will attract them.
                            He also authored the tremendously popular book "The Purpose Driven Life"
                            wherein he has made himself the godlet of many pastors who worship him.
                            The book has also spawned the inevitable market for purpose-driven-kitch.
                            Now we know he is deeply involved with the new age movement.
                            IMO the man is an obvious wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone to be
                            avoided, but prayed for.

                            Kevin Guilory
                          • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 20, 2005
                              Kevin,

                              Thank you for explaining who he is. Now I remember, I have heard
                              of his church and seen his books, but his name just didn't click
                              with me. He must be on par with the Willow Creek guy (who's name
                              also now slips my memory). Yeah, said day when we ask fallen
                              wretched & sinful man who is in enmity against our God, how to best
                              worship God so that they will come to church, so that they can get
                              their ticket to paradise...

                              Now Tetsel I do remember...

                              Thanks again Kevin!

                              Yours in Christ,

                              Edgar

                              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Guillory"
                              <staphlobob@v...> wrote:
                              > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:57:06 -0400, Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
                              > <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Who is Rick Warren?
                              >
                              > That you have to ask indicates that you are indeed blessed.
                              Seriously!
                              > Rick Warren is a "pastor" of a megachurch (Saddleback).
                              He's also the
                              > author of a "how to grow a megachurch" book ("The Purpose Driven
                              Church")
                              > that describes in detail how one is to cater to the whims,
                              fancies,
                              > trends, fads, and perceived needs of a local population in order
                              to found
                              > a "church" that will attract them.
                              > He also authored the tremendously popular book "The Purpose
                              Driven Life"
                              > wherein he has made himself the godlet of many pastors who worship
                              him.
                              > The book has also spawned the inevitable market for purpose-driven-
                              kitch.
                              > Now we know he is deeply involved with the new age movement.
                              > IMO the man is an obvious wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone
                              to be
                              > avoided, but prayed for.
                              >
                              > Kevin Guilory
                            • Theodore Letis
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 23, 2005
                                Very well put, Kevin

                                Ted

                                wrote:

                                > Who is Rick Warren?

                                That you have to ask indicates that you are indeed blessed. Seriously!
                                Rick Warren is a "pastor" of a megachurch (Saddleback). He's also the
                                author of a "how to grow a megachurch" book ("The Purpose Driven Church")
                                that describes in detail how one is to cater to the whims, fancies,
                                trends, fads, and perceived needs of a local population in order to found
                                a "church" that will attract them.
                                He also authored the tremendously popular book "The Purpose Driven Life"
                                wherein he has made himself the godlet of many pastors who worship him.
                                The book has also spawned the inevitable market for purpose-driven-kitch.
                                Now we know he is deeply involved with the new age movement.
                                IMO the man is an obvious wolf in sheep's clothing. Someone to be
                                avoided, but prayed for.

                                Kevin Guilory

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/