Drama

  • rdenerley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23 5:55 PM
      I was wondering what you all might think about Christians and Drama?
      Is Drama a violation of the 9th commandment? I am leaning towards the
      side that it is... What do you all think?
      Ryan Denerley
    • Ben Hart
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24 3:51 AM
        Why would you say that it is wrong? Perhaps we can start there first.

        -Ben

        > I was wondering what you all might think about Christians and Drama?
        > Is Drama a violation of the 9th commandment? I am leaning towards
        the
        > side that it is... What do you all think?
        > Ryan Denerley
      • Maggie
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24 8:04 AM

          > I was wondering what you all might think about Christians and Drama?

          May I assume that you mean “dramatic presentations”?

        • J. Parnell McCarter
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24 9:43 AM
            Drama is a violation of the principles of the Ten Commandments.

            See http://www.puritans.net/movie%20reviews/moviereviews.html for info.

            - Parnell McCarter

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25 2:58 AM
              I have a hard time taking what you have to say seriously, especially
              when you introduce your argument thus:

              'The very term rendered in our English Bibles as "hypocrite" in the
              Greek is the word "stage actor"'

              I've dubbed this one the etymological fallacy, and when I introduce
              logical fallacies in my apologetics class, this is the one I bring up;
              it's always good for a laugh.

              Just because there's an etymological tie in no way guarantees a
              transfer of meaning. Here's some other etymologies for example from
              Latin:

              vir (man) --> virtue
              cogo (I collect) --> coagulate
              moneo (I warn) --> monument
              sessum (having been sat) --> session

              You get the point. Word usage changes, but will often tell an
              interesting story.

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "J. Parnell

            • jparnellm@usxchange.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25 6:27 AM
                The contextual evidence indicates that Christ had stage-actors very much in mind
                when he used the term pejoratively. Those who would put on the "mask" of
                another were not countenanced among the devout Israelites.

                - Parnell McCarter