Re: [Covenanted Reformation] A Textual History of the King James Bible and The New Cambridge Paragr aph Bible Hardback Set

  • Theodore Letis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2005
      Bob, I have a review of both in the works and it will appear in our quarterly, HUMANITAS, in about a week's time. Free copies can be had by dropping me at not: Letist@...

      Theodore P. Letis

      www.thetext.org

      "bsuden@..." <bsuden@...> wrote:

      Ted Letis in a recent email gave a heads up on the new Cambridge editorial update of the AV.
      Should be of some interest here, in that he has posted in the past.
      cordially
      Bob Suden

      http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521844452

      A Textual History of the King James Bible and The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible Hardback Set
      David Norton
      Victoria University, Wellington
      Hardback (ISBN-10: 0521844452 | ISBN-13: 9780521844451)

      Publication is planned for April 2005 | 2298 pages | 255 x 184 mm
      In stock
      $160.00 (G)
      David Norton has recently re-edited the King James Bible for Cambridge University and this book arises from his intensive work on that project. He reveals here how the text of the most important Bible in the English language was made, and how it was changed by printers and editors until it became the text we know today in 1769. Using material as diverse as the manuscripts of the original translators, and the results of extensive computer collation of electronically held texts, Norton has produced a scholarly edition of the King James Bible that will restore the authority of the 1611 translation. This book includes the bible's fascinating background, Norton's editorial principles and substantial lists and tables of variant readings. It will be indispensable to scholars of the English Bible, literature, and publishing history. A website with additional resources (www.cambridge.org/kjv) will be available one month prior to publication.

      � New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with companion volume by the same author explaining how he has revisited the original 1611 KJV, and discarded editorial alterations that crept in over time

      � Provides unique material for understanding the recognised King James Bible, as well as offering a new text restoring the authority of the original translation

      � The accompanying book lists and analyses the variant readings in early printings of the King James Bible

      Contents
      The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible (with Apocrypha); A Textual History of the King James Bible; Part I. The History: 1. Making the text; 2. Pre-1611 evidence for the text; 3. The first edition; 4. The King�s printer at work, 1612�17; 5. Correcting and corrupting the text, 1629�1760; 6. Setting the standard, 1762�1769; 7. The current text; Part II. The New Edition: 8. Variants and orthography; 9. Punctuation and other matters; Appendices 1-9.

      Would you Help a Child in need?
      It is easier than you think.
      Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/GuTslB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://mail.yahoo.com