Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Oath at Scone, Parnell on SLC & Ben's questions on worship

  • jparnellm@usxchange.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2005
      Quoting Dan Fraas <fraasrd@...>:

      > or
      > inconsistency between the church's practice and her sworn Standards,

      Given that the standards of the church are summarized in the Ten Commandments,
      Riley, can you name me one church in all of human history where the church's
      practice was fully consistent with her sworn standards?

      There is something very flawed about your criteria for judging which church to
      join this side of the Day of Judgment. Essentially, you are setting up a
      criterion of perfection, then saying no church is perfect, and thus giving
      yourself license to join with a church whose constitution are/or form of
      subscription is admittedly flawed. This is no way to go about selecting a
      church.

      Our criteria should rather be this:

      1. Is the constitution sound (ie, consistent with the Biblical doctrines
      summarized in the WCF)

      2. Is the form of subscription sound? (ie, full subscriptionism, and not this
      nonsense that characterizes most American Pres churches)

      3. Given the fallen condition of man and of the times, is the church
      implementing her standards *reasonably* well (albeit far from perfectly well)?

      I can answer 'yes' to all of the above with respect to FPCS. Can you do so with
      the OPC?

      - Parnell McCarter
      www.puritans.net