Godly Ecumenicism (was: Christian Philosphy (almost) mainstream?)

  • Benjamin Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      Some of thw comments made on this list have me feeling uncomfortable.  My question is as follows: how do fellow covenanters view ecumenicism?  Is there a godly way in which to appreciate and even promote the efforts of other Christians?

      I ask because I think that while we may give the right answer to the above question, in my experience (which is limited - correct me if I'm wrong,) we as Covenanters are quicker to point out the 'heresy' than to praise the good.  I'm open to correction of the fact of this matter, but as far as I can tell, it's more true than not.  (That said, thanks Edgar for your supportive, balanced words re: Plantinga).  I suppose it may be the fact that we promote unity and truth therein staunchly - this is good; it seems it may come with the price of coming down on other Christins to a fault.

      What think ye?

      pax,
      Ben

      PS - didn't that heretic Erasmus give us the venerable Textus Receptus?  ;D

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • sn_phillip
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        The purpose of my response in the first place had to do with John
        Putz saying that the man was a calvinist. Then after I questioned the
        Calvinism of (Plantinga) because I had heard otherwise it is as if I
        am saying something wrong. He(Plantinga) is the one who holds to the
        Heresy of Middle Knowledge. How can you call Plantinga a somewhat
        compromizing Calvinist? Also I never said that no one should read
        from his writings or that he never had anything good to say. But when
        someone calls Plantinga a Calvinist and Plantinga is not I am going
        to respond. You said that you felt uncomfortable about some of the
        comments made on this topic I dont know why one would feel
        uncomfortable about the comments about Plantinga unless someone was
        falsely accusing him of something else.

        I got this from monergism.org about middle knowledge

        Another theological construct based on speculative philosophy (rather
        than the Scriptures) which postulates God to be bound by temporality.
        It was an attempt to resolve the tension between divine foreknowledge
        and free will had to be resolved in some way that did not appeal to
        divine timelessness. (not considering that God may have a temporality
        of His own)

        Five Points of the Remonstrance of 1610 (Arminian) are virtually
        identical (prima facie) with Catholic Molinism. Molinism attempts to
        combat the Scriptural and Reformation belief that sinners have lost
        freedom of will to believe the gospel apart from divine monergism. It
        maintains and strenuously defends the Tridentine dogma which teaches:
        that freedom of will has not been destroyed by original sin, and that
        this freedom remains unimpaired under the influence of Divine grace
        (Cf. Sess. VI, can iv-v in Denzinger, "Enchiridion", ed. Bannwart,
        Freiburg, 1908, nn. 814-15).

        Luis de Molina († 1600), a Jesuit theologian. He wrote a book called
        The Harmony of Free Will with the Gifts of Divine Grace, in which he
        advocated a theory of the relation between grace and free will. He
        maintained that efficacious grace does not move the free will to
        cooperate with it but that the free will makes grace efficacious by
        cooperating with .The Molinists emphasised an universal divine
        salvific Will and often maintained that God elects to salvation those
        whom He foreknows will cooperate with his grace. Thus God's
        foreknowledge, the scientia media, was held to act as a sort
        of "middle" mechanism between the human free will on the one hand,
        and the efficacy of grace and of divine election on the other.

        Modern Proponents Include: Luis de Molina, Alvin Plantinga, William
        Lane Craig, Thomas P. Flint
        --------here is an article on Middle Knowledge---- Turretin also
        dicusses it in his Institutes.
        www.apuritansmind.com/PuritanWorship/McMahonHeresyMiddleKnowledge.htm
        The Heresy of Middle Knowledge by C. Matthew McMahon

        benhartmail@y...> wrote:
        > Some of thw comments made on this list have me feeling
        uncomfortable. My question is as follows: how do fellow covenanters
        view ecumenicism? Is there a godly way in which to appreciate and
        even promote the efforts of other Christians?

        > I ask because I think that while we may give the right answer to
        the above question, in my experience (which is limited - correct me
        if I'm wrong,) we as Covenanters are quicker to point out
        the 'heresy' than to praise the good. I'm open to correction of the
        fact of this matter, but as far as I can tell, it's more true than
        not. (That said, thanks Edgar for your supportive, balanced words
        re: Plantinga). I suppose it may be the fact that we promote unity
        and truth therein staunchly - this is good; it seems it may come with
        the price of coming down on other Christins to a fault.

        > What think ye?
        >
        > pax,
        > Ben
        >
        > PS - didn't that heretic Erasmus give us the venerable Textus
        Receptus? ;D

      • Ben Hart
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          Sorry if my comments were taken to be directed at you singularly.
          They weren't. It was more of a call to have Covenanters examine how
          they approach (attack?) people of different persuasions. I have no
          problem with saying that somebody is wrong and pointing it out. My
          criticism was one of balance, not substance; degree, not of kind. I
          don't know how helpful it is to jump on the disagreements that lie
          between us and our Christian brethren when they have many things of
          great value to offer us. I hope this clarifies my question/criticism.