Re: Oath-taking

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2005
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
      <fraasrd@y...> wrote:

      > Wow, no response.

      It's been slow here of late. Ok, let's see.... the following comes
      from Chapter 13 (Of the People's Duty Under Wicked Rulers, Both
      Towards God and Them) of "The Mystery of Magistracy" (believed by some
      to have been written by George Gillespie):

      ---
      4. Not to confederate with them, or engage to their upholding by oath,
      covenant, &c. Say not a confederacy to all those to whom this people
      shall say, a confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid:
      Sanctify the Lord of hosts, &c. Isa. 8:12,13. Shouldst thou help the
      ungodly, and love them that hated the Lord? therefore is wrath upon
      thee from before the Lord, 2 Chron. 19:2. They strengthen also the
      hands of evil doers, that none doth return from his wickedness, Jer.
      23:14. Neither do they which go by, say, The blessing of the Lord be
      upon you: we bless you in the name of the Lord, Psal. 129:8. In whose
      eyes a vile person is contemned: but he honoureth them that fear the
      Lord, Psal. 15:4. Come out from her my people, that you may not be
      partakers of her sins, Rev. 18:4. But above all things swear not at
      all, Jam. 5:12. Israel shall dwell in safety alone, Deut. 33:28. Eph.
      3:8. For,

      1. If we have sworn or covenanted, then we are solemnly bound, which
      God will require at our hands. Seeing he despiseth the oath, by
      breaking the covenant, (when, lo he had given his hand) and hath done
      all these things, he shall not escape. Therefore thus saith the Lord
      God, as I live, surely mine oath that he hath despised, and my
      covenant that he hath broken, even it will I recompence upon his own
      head, (thou made with wicked Nebuchadnezzar), Ezek.17:18,19.

      2. They swear to a plague; as before, Lev. 26:17. They that hate you,
      shall reign over you.

      3. It is against promised mercies. Isa. 1:26. And I will restore thy
      judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning:
      afterward thou shalt be called the city of righteousness, the faithful
      city.

      4. Because it would be in deceit and hypocrisy, which is so abhorring
      to the Lord. Who hath not lift up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn
      deceitfully, Psal. 24:4. For our transgressions are multiplied before
      thee, &c. In transgressing and lying against the Lord, &c. Conceiving
      and uttering from the heart words of falsehood, Isa. 59:12,13. And let
      none of you imagine evil against his neighbour, and love no false
      oath, for all these are things that I hate, saith the Lord, Zech.
      8:17. And I will come near to you in judgment, and I will be a swift
      witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against
      false swearers, &c. Mal. 3:3.
      ---

      The following is from the Reformed Presbyterian Catechism by William
      L. Roberts:

      ---
      Q. Should not "Christians, testifying against national evils, and
      striving, in the use of moral means, to effect a reformation,
      relinquish temporal privileges, rather than do any thing which may
      appear to contradict their testimony, or lay a stumbling-block before
      their weaker brethren ?"

      A. This is unquestionably their duty. Because they cannot convince men
      of their own sincerity, and of the immorality of a principle or
      practice, whilst they themselves are found actually maintaining the
      immoral principle or practice, (by oath of allegiance, voting, and
      holding offices, &c.,) and enjoying the emoluments of iniquity decreed
      by law. Heb. xi. 24, 26, 36, "By faith, Moses, when he was come to
      years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter. Esteeming
      the reproach of Christ to be greater riches than the treasures in
      Egypt. And others had trials of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea,
      moreover, of bonds and imprisonments." Numb. xxiii. 9, "Lo, the people
      shall dwell alone, and shall not be reckoned among the nations." Rom.
      xiv. 21, " It is good neither to eat flesh, nor drink wine, nor
      anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended."
      ---

      You may also wish to look at Samuel Wylie's Two Sons of Oil,
      particularly the section on why Covenanters cannot yield obedience for
      conscience sake to the current government of the U.S.:

      http://tinyurl.com/3kxr9

      See also the following point, on what our duty should be towards the
      current civil authority:

      http://tinyurl.com/58o7f

      ...where it is written (among other things),

      ---
      4. We ought to do no act which may be justly considered an
      homologation of their illegitimate authority.

      Those who, directly or indirectly, consent to the evil deeds of others
      are partakers in their criminality. Ps. 50:18: "When thou sawest a
      thief, then thou consentedst with him," which God severely reprehends.
      If, therefore, the constitution be essentially at war with the
      religion of Jesus, an homologation of it is striking hands with his
      enemies. No oath of allegiance, therefore, can we swear, because we
      believe the constitution to be contrary to the moral law, and our
      covenant engagements. Farther,

      We cannot elect public functionaries to fill the various offices in
      the state; for, between the elector and the elected, there is a
      representative oneness; so that every official act, done
      constitutionally by the latter, is virtually done by the former,
      through his representative organ. He must, also, be introduced to
      office by an oath, homologating the constitution. Whatever, therefore,
      we cannot do ourselves, on account of its immorality, we ought not to
      employ others to perform.
      ---