Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Van Til MP3's

  • Ben Hart
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
      I have a high regard for Van Til. One of the most profound things I
      recall him saying (in one of his Kant lectures I think,) was that
      (and I'm paraphrasing horribly,) "Life can be so serious, sometimes
      we just have to laugh." It was something along those lines.
      Anyway, that was about as good an insight as the TAG I think.

      FWIW,
      Ben
      Albany, NY

      PS - Is there a Federal Program subsidizing the required Van Til CD
      purchase? Would it help if I was a minority group?
    • Whit
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump
        <lbump@b...> wrote:

        > Neil Barham wrote:
        > > Third, I have a sense of humor. It never occured to me that
        anyone
        > > would actually think my little plug was anything but a joke.
        False
        > > witness, I believe, necessarily involves the will to deceive. I
        would
        > > have to be BREATHTAKINGLY STUPID -- or think that YOU were
        > > breathtakingly stupid -- to think anybody would take this
        seriously.

        > > I plead guilty to irony in the first degree, and throw myself
        upon the
        > > mercy of the court.
        >
        > It's not about humor, it's about honesty. False witness requires
        simply
        > the purposeful saying of something untrue about someone, no intent
        needed.

        > The insult was not needed.

        Is sarcasm false witness? For example, someone falls to the ground
        or drops something unintentionally, and a person responds "smooth
        move" or the equivalent when the fall or drop was not graceful or
        smooth.

        Whit
      • Whit
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Martin
          <anonfwrd@s...> wrote:
          > Larry,
          >
          > Did you have difficulty parsing what Neil stated? Was it unclear
          > whether there is in fact a Federal law?
          >
          > It seems to me that humour is often fictional in nature.
          >
          > Martin

          Nevermind my previous question about which law in the USC. Now I
          think I got it. I understand his joke to be a hyperbolae, which I
          think Christ or Paul or Peter used at times.

          Whit
        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
            Whit wrote:

            > Is sarcasm false witness? For example, someone falls to the ground
            > or drops something unintentionally, and a person responds "smooth
            > move" or the equivalent when the fall or drop was not graceful or
            > smooth.

            No, God uses sarcasm (See Elijah and the priests of Baal).
            It cannot be sin in se, though sometimes the attitude and message may be.

            Larry