Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Tattoos

  • Jasper
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
      Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:
      Hope this helps; I am rambling a little.

      Yes, you have helped.   Thank you kind sir.

      Larry Bump <lbump@...> wrote:

      Jasper wrote:

      > Please bear with me a bit here  -  I do not mean to be contentious.  First, I am somewhat surprised that you say "images of created beings or things are not forbidden".  That is not what I expected to read and I wonder if the rest of the group here agrees with you?

      The word "images" means any picture or sculpture.  Images themselves are not forbidden, you have them in your home all over the place.   The word in scripture does *not* carry the meaning "religious icon".

      Unless one means to say that all photography and/or drawing of living beings is forbidden, images per se are allowable.

      > Thirdly, on the same train of thought, you seem to be saying that in the case where "Interacting with anything purporting to be God or a visual representation of God" does not inspire faulty worship, then "Man would be interacting with God in a non-worshipful way, ie blasphemously denying His holiness and majesty".  I understand the first part to be describing a false god, but the continuation in the second part says
      that it actually is God.  Am I just failing to get your meaning here?  help, please.

      Something that represents God *in se* would need to be representative of God's holiness and righteousness.  If I interact with something that *is* God in any meaningful manner without giving the honor due to God I would be treating it/Him blasphemously.

      The point is that a picture "of God" either is, or is not a
      representation of God.  Sounds like a tautology, but it's not.  if it is, and I treat it non-Godly, I disrespect God by withholding His due.  if I treat it Godly, I violate the second commandment.

      The reality of the issue is that nothing can really represent God, so if you say something *does*, you have lied, and about Him.  Blasphemy.

      Seriously, can you imagine seeing a picture of God (in truth) that would *not* inspire worship?  Can't be avoided, but must not be done.  That's why an image of God is absolutely forbidden.
      If the calf did represent Yahweh, then the people would *have* to bow before it.  The calf was meant to represent Elohim, but that is forbidden.

      Anyway, I believe that there is a reason that jesus lived before photography, and in a culture that did not do portraits.  and, this is why the Shroud of Turin, in my opinion, cannot be the true shroud, with true marks.

      Hope this helps; I am rambling a little.

      Larry

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
        Um, yes. I was using the Heidelberg to explain what I thought you were
        saying.

        gmw.

        Larry Bump wrote:

> [...]
      • Larry Bump
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
          From: "gmw" <raging.calvinist@...>

          > Um, yes. I was using the Heidelberg to explain what I thought you were
          > saying.

          Oh, OK.
          ;-)

          I will admit that I do have my dense moments. More frequently sometimes
          than others.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bump"
            <lbump@b...> wrote:

            > Oh, OK.
            > ;-)
            >
            > I will admit that I do have my dense moments. More frequently sometimes
            > than others.

            Don't worry about it. Unfortunately, this is a problem with a forum
            like this --- we read things and aren't sure how to take them, or even
            what they mean sometimes! Let's all be quick to view each other in
            charity.

            BTW, I think you guys did a bang up job in that last thread about the
            differences between denominations -- that had all the workings of an
            ugly fight, but it didn't turn out that way. Way to go, folks.