RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Tattoos pS

  • J. Parnell McCarter
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005

      >…many of my FPCOS friends) feel that … hair color and dye, are a rejection of the "hoary hairs" God gives the aged, and vanity to boot

      Yes, you are right that hair coloring and tattoos would be frowned upon by the FPCS.  IMO the Picts got rid of their body Pict(ures) for good reason as they became more conformed to scripture. These were the standard positions of the historic Church of Scotland, as well as other reformed churches like the church in Geneva , etc.

      Furthermore, I remember reading in the magazine of the Free Church of Scotland Cont'g in the last few years an article addressing matters of attire, written I believe by someone in the Reformed Pres Church of Ireland (if memory serves me).  The position stated there was:

      - anti-hair coloring

      - anti-earrings

      - etc.

      I think it is a well-founded position to be:

      - anti-tattoos

      - anti-jewelry

      - anti-hair dying

      Some of these matters are addressed in an article at

      http://www.puritans.net/news/attire040604.htm

      - Parnell McCarter

    • Cheryl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
        What do you make of the chapter 16 of Ezekiel wherein God likens Jerusalem to an abandoned infant that he took in and adorned with not only earrings, but also noserings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, and a crown?  The clothing described is also not in the nature of sackcloth.

        Would it be your position that God forbids all adornment or anything that would be designed to enhance or maintain attractiveness?

        Yours and His,
        Cheryl

      • jparnellm@usxchange.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          Cheryl, it seems to me that scripture analogizes the bride to the Bride of
          Christ. Just as the Bride of Christ is no longer outwardly adorned in the way
          she was in the Mosaic economy (no more golden candlesticks, no more musical
          instruments, etc), so a man's wife is no longer outwardly adorned as she was
          allowed to be in the Mosaic economy.

          Why? These outward adornments were always simply signs and symbols of the
          spiritual graces. Now that the graces are more manifest in the NT, the signs
          pass away. The spiritual graces are so much more exceedingly precious, that
          next to jewelry, etc., it is like placing the Hope Diamond next to a Cracker
          Jack ring in a public display.

          Simple and plain is the NT principle regarding outward adornment, both for the
          woman and the Woman.

          Regarding Eze 16, Zion's true adornments are her spiritual graces, of which
          rings, etc. were but types and shadows and signs.

          The article at http://www.puritans.net/news/attire040604.htm goes into more
          detail.

          Regarding your second question, I think we should distinguish decency and order
          and even attractiveness (so long as scripturally defined) from adornments like
          jewelry. I qualify with the term "as scripturally defined", because most
          moderns deem marks of age like grey hairs and wrinkles as "unattractive", so
          they get face lifts, etc. But this is not God's perspective on "attractive".

          Hope that helps convey what I am seeking to communicate.

          - Parnell McCarter