Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Tattoos

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
      Susan Nye Ferrell wrote:

      > Hi Larry,
      > Thank you for your comment and question.
      > Well I may be wrong in my understanding of graven images and will
      > happily look into the matter further when I am not busily looking into
      > "dental implants vs crown and bridge work" (and still searching for the
      > elusive web page which will tell me how to truly have painless dentistry?)

      Don't hold your breath, I think. Anything with this much nerve bulk is
      simply going to hurt unless they put you out. And that is worse, in
      some ways.

      > It was/has been my understanding that at least our forbearers in
      > the Scottish reformation would have frowned upon any of the heavenly
      > beings, such as are currently a mystery to us, being made into images.
      > If the cross is considered by most a graven image, then I don't see how
      > a cherubim (yes, it is plural, she may have wanted more than one) slides
      > in under the radar.

      I wasn't trying to be contentious, I just can't see the sin in the
      making. The cross is considered by some to be illegitimate, simply
      because it points to/represents an aspect or work of Jesus. Therefore,
      it represents the Redeemer as such, hence violates the second
      commandment. This is similar to the reason dove statues or stained
      glass windows are illegitimate.
      (I am not so convinced of the problem of a bare cross vs a crucifix,
      though obedient. i fail to see where a bare cross is bad, but the
      icthus is OK.)

      The angel, again, is simply a creature. What warrant is there to call
      it sin? The fact that it is a heavenly "thing" fails on the point of
      the angels are known to traverse the Earth, doing the work of God.

      I simply don't see that there is warrant to call it a sin. I can't
      point to chapter/verse proving that it is *not* a sin anymore than I can
      prove that chocolate milk is allowed, nor coloring with wax crayons evil.

      > The case you are mentioning and the creation of such images in the
      > temple were directly commanded by God in a particular case and instance.

      Right, but it would still need a direct warrant to call it sin. I doubt
      that the lady in question is looking for something to "focus her
      worship" or to "use as an object of prayer to improve concentration" or
      to "venerate", such things, of course, being worship given to a creature.

      > I would think we would not want to make images of angelic beings,
      > devils or demons or any such supernatural images.

      I certainly wouldn't want a tattoo of a demon, but I don't see that it
      is either an idol, nor prying into the secret things of God to draw a
      purported demon. It would (in my view) have to be one or the other to
      call it sin. It would be *inaccurate*, but not a sin. Much like the
      early pictures of elephants by naturalists that had only heard reports
      (much the same situation, eh?)

      It isn't sin to make images, else all pictures and statues would be
      sinful. It is the object and use of the image that is diagnostic.

      > If you are able to find me good solid biblical/ church
      > history evidence of why a cherub or cherubim are not
      > graven images than I would be glad to pass that one and
      > make one 18 year old very happy.

      Again, the burden of proof is on the one calling something sin. This is
      the essence of Christian Liberty, that we cannot forbid without warrant.

      Larry
    • Martin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
        Hi Robbie,

        I suppose this is off-topic; however, are you a competitive powerlifter
        or bodybuilder?

        Martin

        Robbie Stark wrote:

        > Funny this topic should come up, I am "THIS" (Fingers almost touching)
        > close
        > to having Romans 6:23 "Inked up" On my upper right arm, Maybe even Romans
        > 3:23 on the other, I work out of Two Gold's Gyms (Three this summer) with
        > over 9,000 Members, (With the Islip Gym opening on the South Shore of Long
        > Island in June, it will be over 12,000 members),
        > I think it will be a great way to introduce the Gospel to a fertile
        > field of
        > the potentially Elect.
        >
        > With a one-on-one business and an hour of undivided attention I already
        > have
        > given the Gospel to many, this will, perhaps, draw more in, as they ask
        > what
        > Romans 6:23, or Romans 3:23 means. You'd be AMAZED how the Gospel can
        > stop,
        > dead in their tracks, many a steroid bloated Muscle-Head. I have the
        > credibility of Competing for 18 years and I have been a Strength
        > Coach/Personal Trainer for some 22 years.
        >
        > I have not decided yet, mainly because I have this "Issue" with Needles and
        > Tat's don't come with erasers. But, I know no Scripture verse that would
        > compel me otherwise
        >
        > Just one mans opinion, from the Chalk clouded platform in the back of the
        > Gym.
        >
        > Robbie
        >
        > (Who, by God's Grace will be competing again this summer)

      • Robbie Stark
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
          Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.

        • Martin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            220's? Is that your squat, bench, or deadlift?

            Martin

            Robbie Stark wrote:

            > Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.
            >
            > Robbie

          • Robbie Stark
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
              I would hope none of the lifts,...It is my weight class 220 lbs.

              Robbie

              > 220's? Is that your squat, bench, or deadlift?
              >
              > Martin
              >
              > Robbie Stark wrote:
              >>

              >> Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.
              >>
              >> Robbie

            • Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                Haha, ok; thanks for the clarification.