Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Tattoos

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
      This thread reminds me of a girl I met a few summers ago on a seminar I was taking.  She had some very interesting and unique tattoos on her body, one of which was a gecko lizard around her foot.  It actually looked quite neat.  However, the beautiful Celtic style circular design that she had around her navel was "wrecked" by stretchmarks from subsequent childbearing.  Heheheh.  And as some of the ladies probably know, stretch marks aren't necessarily limited just to pregnant bellies.  You just never know what will get wrecked and where in the process of having children.

      Irene's point about modesty is well taken.  Societal standards do shift over time so that things that were once considered scandalous no longer raise an eyebrow.  An example of this is how the Victorian/Edwardian standard of floor length gowns and the scandal of an exposed ankle raises nary an eyebrow now as hemlines, even on the most modest women, can be as high as mid-calf to just below the knee.  In some Christian circles, it is scandalous to have your ears pierced *once* on each side, never mind two.  Now it isn't uncommon to see many women with two piercings per ear.  I'm one of them.  I always thought it looked kind of cute and so to celebrate my midlife crisis, I went out and had a second piercing added to each ear.  However, putting in say, 14 piercings, and having some of them flash on and off in neon lights would cross the line of being done for the sake of being attractive and more for the sake of being noticed and thereby immodest.

      This is one of those things in which there are no hard bright lines that we can draw.  Yet at the same time, heart motivation of the individual considering these things and also the perception that others will have of them needs to be considered.

      I am on my fourth, fifth, and sixth teens and they definitely like to skate close to the edge when it comes to making a fashion statement and provoking comment and it often requires wisdom to know how to deal with these things.  One day I was in my usual hurry to get all the kids in the van to take them to church and didn't notice til we arrived that two of my boys had decided to wear black eye-liner to church.  Well, I had a fit at them, not so much because I was afraid of what others in the church were going to think, but more because as I told them, "I am NOT raising a bunch of pansies in THIS HOUSEHOLD.  Go wash it off and never let me catch you putting on makeup like a girl again!"  The fact that they were allergic to the eyeliner and their eyes broke out and were extremely itchy helped as did the subtle suggestion that it made them look queer -- an affront to their masculinity.  Then there was the time one son decided to try wearing black nail polish.  I merely raised my eyebrows at him and didn't say a word.  But I did hide my nail polish remover.  After about 3 days, he begged his father to drive him into town so he could buy his own bottle of polish remover, and he's never worn the nail polish again.

      Tatoos, body art, body piercings, etc., are all means that reformed Christian young people may use to test the limits of what is and isn't permissible and it has been my experience, at least, that if it is handled wisely and not in a reactionary manner, that it can become a profitable means of talking about heart issues related to these things.

      Those are just some of my thoughts on the matter.

      Cheryl G.
    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
        Susan Nye Ferrell wrote:

        > Hi Larry,
        > Thank you for your comment and question.
        > Well I may be wrong in my understanding of graven images and will
        > happily look into the matter further when I am not busily looking into
        > "dental implants vs crown and bridge work" (and still searching for the
        > elusive web page which will tell me how to truly have painless dentistry?)

        Don't hold your breath, I think. Anything with this much nerve bulk is
        simply going to hurt unless they put you out. And that is worse, in
        some ways.

        > It was/has been my understanding that at least our forbearers in
        > the Scottish reformation would have frowned upon any of the heavenly
        > beings, such as are currently a mystery to us, being made into images.
        > If the cross is considered by most a graven image, then I don't see how
        > a cherubim (yes, it is plural, she may have wanted more than one) slides
        > in under the radar.

        I wasn't trying to be contentious, I just can't see the sin in the
        making. The cross is considered by some to be illegitimate, simply
        because it points to/represents an aspect or work of Jesus. Therefore,
        it represents the Redeemer as such, hence violates the second
        commandment. This is similar to the reason dove statues or stained
        glass windows are illegitimate.
        (I am not so convinced of the problem of a bare cross vs a crucifix,
        though obedient. i fail to see where a bare cross is bad, but the
        icthus is OK.)

        The angel, again, is simply a creature. What warrant is there to call
        it sin? The fact that it is a heavenly "thing" fails on the point of
        the angels are known to traverse the Earth, doing the work of God.

        I simply don't see that there is warrant to call it a sin. I can't
        point to chapter/verse proving that it is *not* a sin anymore than I can
        prove that chocolate milk is allowed, nor coloring with wax crayons evil.

        > The case you are mentioning and the creation of such images in the
        > temple were directly commanded by God in a particular case and instance.

        Right, but it would still need a direct warrant to call it sin. I doubt
        that the lady in question is looking for something to "focus her
        worship" or to "use as an object of prayer to improve concentration" or
        to "venerate", such things, of course, being worship given to a creature.

        > I would think we would not want to make images of angelic beings,
        > devils or demons or any such supernatural images.

        I certainly wouldn't want a tattoo of a demon, but I don't see that it
        is either an idol, nor prying into the secret things of God to draw a
        purported demon. It would (in my view) have to be one or the other to
        call it sin. It would be *inaccurate*, but not a sin. Much like the
        early pictures of elephants by naturalists that had only heard reports
        (much the same situation, eh?)

        It isn't sin to make images, else all pictures and statues would be
        sinful. It is the object and use of the image that is diagnostic.

        > If you are able to find me good solid biblical/ church
        > history evidence of why a cherub or cherubim are not
        > graven images than I would be glad to pass that one and
        > make one 18 year old very happy.

        Again, the burden of proof is on the one calling something sin. This is
        the essence of Christian Liberty, that we cannot forbid without warrant.

        Larry
      • Martin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hi Robbie,

          I suppose this is off-topic; however, are you a competitive powerlifter
          or bodybuilder?

          Martin

          Robbie Stark wrote:

          > Funny this topic should come up, I am "THIS" (Fingers almost touching)
          > close
          > to having Romans 6:23 "Inked up" On my upper right arm, Maybe even Romans
          > 3:23 on the other, I work out of Two Gold's Gyms (Three this summer) with
          > over 9,000 Members, (With the Islip Gym opening on the South Shore of Long
          > Island in June, it will be over 12,000 members),
          > I think it will be a great way to introduce the Gospel to a fertile
          > field of
          > the potentially Elect.
          >
          > With a one-on-one business and an hour of undivided attention I already
          > have
          > given the Gospel to many, this will, perhaps, draw more in, as they ask
          > what
          > Romans 6:23, or Romans 3:23 means. You'd be AMAZED how the Gospel can
          > stop,
          > dead in their tracks, many a steroid bloated Muscle-Head. I have the
          > credibility of Competing for 18 years and I have been a Strength
          > Coach/Personal Trainer for some 22 years.
          >
          > I have not decided yet, mainly because I have this "Issue" with Needles and
          > Tat's don't come with erasers. But, I know no Scripture verse that would
          > compel me otherwise
          >
          > Just one mans opinion, from the Chalk clouded platform in the back of the
          > Gym.
          >
          > Robbie
          >
          > (Who, by God's Grace will be competing again this summer)

        • Robbie Stark
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.

          • Martin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
              220's? Is that your squat, bench, or deadlift?

              Martin

              Robbie Stark wrote:

              > Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.
              >
              > Robbie

            • Robbie Stark
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                I would hope none of the lifts,...It is my weight class 220 lbs.

                Robbie

                > 220's? Is that your squat, bench, or deadlift?
                >
                > Martin
                >
                > Robbie Stark wrote:
                >>

                >> Powerlifter, 220's Raw (No supportive equipment), Lifetime Drug-Free.
                >>
                >> Robbie

              • Martin
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Haha, ok; thanks for the clarification.