All Loving God by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2005

      All Loving God

      Edited by Joseph Yosuk Lee

      Question #1: Is God all loving to the elect and non-elect?

      Westminister Professor John M. Frame’s Answer #1: Yes,

      but God loves others in different ways. On the human level,

      friendship differs from sexual love, which differs from the love

      of fellow Christians, which differs from our love for non‑

      Christians, etc. So God's love takes different forms:

      love within the Trinity, love of believers as his bride, love

      of the world he has made, the love that gives good

      gifts even to God's enemies (Matthew 5), and the jealous

      love which becomes wrath as God punishes those who

      break his covenant and go after other gods.

      Question #2: Does God want us to love our enemies?

      Professor Frame’s Answer #2: He wants us to love our

      enemies, but not in the same way a man loves his wife. Just

      as God has different kinds of love, so he calls us to

      demonstrate love in different ways appropriate to different

      relationships.

      Joseph Y. Lee’s Comments: Calvinists are accused of

      believing in a limited loving God even though they actually

      believe in an all loving God. A limited loving God

      contradicts His commandments because He asked us (Christians)

      to love our enemies. This contradiction implies an errant

      Bible. Although God is all loving, He is also a just God by

      showing his wrath on the non-elect.

      Verses Supporting All Loving God

      1. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only

      begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not

      perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16

      2. “But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those

      who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your

      Father show is in heaven: for He causes His sun to rise

      on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous

      and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5:44-45

      3. “The one who does not love does not know God, for

      God is love.” 1 John 4:8.

      4. “...God is love, and the one who abides in love abides

      in God, and God abides in him.” 1 John 4:16

      5. “This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,

      who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge

      of the truth.” 1 Timothy 2:3-4

      6. “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some

      count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for

      any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9

      7. “Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed,

      ‘The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to

      anger, and abounding in loving-kindness and truth.” Exodus 32:6

      Verses Supporting a Just God

      1. “...yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished,

      visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the

      grandchildren to the third and four generations.” Exodus 34:7

      2. “The Rock!  His work is perfect, For all His ways are just;

      A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and

      upright is He.” Deuteronomy 32:4

      3. “Therefore the Lord longs to be gracious to you, And therefore

      you He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the Lord is

      a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.”

      Isaiah 30:18

      4. “But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of

      God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not

      unrighteous, is He?” Romans 3:25

      5. “And I heard the angel of the waters saying, ‘Righteous are

      Thou, who art and who wast, O Holy One, because Thou

      dist judge these things.” Revelations 16:5

      6. “Dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and

      to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2

      Thessalonians 1:8

      7. See Job 34:17-30.