Re: Exegesis on Confession's Scripture?

  • jmcovenanter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2005
      If I understand the question correctly it isn't asking about the
      historical background but the explanation of why certain texts were
      chosen. In other words, how does a given text support the given
      statement?

      I know that John Flavel has an exposition of the Shorter Catechism
      in vol. 6 of his works. Do any Westminster Divines have an
      exposition of the Confession?

      Robert Shaw wrote an exposition of the Confession which can be found
      at CRTA:
      http://www.reformed.org/documents/shaw/index.html?
      mainframe=index_shaw.html

      I don't know if this will prove helpful concerning an exposition of
      the proof texts.

      As to your question regarding 2 Peter 2:20-21, Alexander Nisbet
      wrote an exposition of 1 and 2 Peter (didn't David Dickson write a
      commentary on the whole Bible?) which is published by Banner of
      Truth. This may give some guidance as to why the Divines chose this
      as a proof text.

      Hopefully others know more of how to find out the intent of the
      divines in using certain verses as proofs for statements in the
      Confession.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"