Re: rpw

  • jparnellm@usxchange.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2005
      Edgar, you asked for proof that rpw relates to family and private worship, as
      well as public worship. I hope you do not mind if I answer your question with
      some questions:

      1. In the chapter on religious worship in the WCF, is only public worship
      mentioned, or is other worship also mentioned? In the chapter, is the rpw said
      to regulate worship (in general) or just public worship? In the elements of
      worship cited, are only elements relevant to public worship mentioned, or
      elements for other worship as well?

      2. Mt 15:1-9 is a classic prooftext for the rpw. Is the worship that
      occasioned
      Christ's stmt of the rpw in Mt 15:9 an example of public worship, or is Mt 15:2
      an example of private devotion and worship?

      In a previous post I already addressed the issue of whether rules for public
      worship are the same as for family and private worship.

      - Parnell McCarter
      www.puritans.net

      PS Your post also mentioned something about no uninspired songs. No one to my
      knowledge on this list has ever argued for a prohibition on **all** uninspired
      song, but simply restrictions on it i/a/w Biblical principles. With respect to
      background music, here are 2 additional options you may want to consider on
      various occasions:

      - silence (so you can better concentrate on your task at hand)

      - instrumental music without lyrics (can create a beautiful atmosphere, without
      interfering with people's conversation, taking the Lord's name in vain, or
      promoting ungodly lies)