Re: Resources

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Hart
      <benhartmail@y...> wrote:
      > Does anybody know of any discussions on 1 Tim. 2:3-6. I think of
      any verse in the New Testament as being a problem verse for Calvinism,
      this is it. I've never been confronted with it before and I was
      wondering if anyone has a succint treatment? Thanks.
      ----

      Hey Ben,

      Did you check Calvin's Commentary?
      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/calcom43.iii.iv.i.xml

      "Hence we see the childish folly of those who represent this passage
      to be opposed to predestination. `If God' say they, `wishes all men
      indiscriminately to be saved, it is false that some are predestined by
      his eternal purpose to salvation, and others to perdition.' They might
      have had some ground for saying this, if Paul were speaking here about
      individual men; although even then we should not have wanted the means
      of replying to their argument; for, although the will of God ought not
      to be judged from his secret decrees, when he reveals them to us by
      outward signs, yet it does not therefore follow that he has not
      determined with himself what he intends to do as to every individual man."

      Calvin also has a superb sermon on the same text:
      http://www.the-highway.com/Salvation_of_All.html

      You may also gain some insight from John Gill's comments,
      http://www.freegrace.net/gill/1_Timothy/1_Timothy_2.htm

      Some other articles that may be of some help:

      http://www.planetkc.com/puritan/Articles/1Timothy2_4.htm

      http://www.the-highway.com/objections8_Boettner.html

      I'd look more stuff up for you, but I have to get going. My family is
      sick, and there are some babies crying! I don't know what books you
      have available, but I'm sure you could find something in Turretin's
      Institutes, Knox Against the Anabaptist, Ridgley's Commentary on the
      Larger Catechism, etc.

      "Again, we are asked, if God has "ordained" only certain ones unto
      eternal life then why do we read that He `will have all men to be
      saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth' (1 Tim. 2:4)? The reply
      is, that the words `all' and `all men,' like the term `world,' are
      often used in a general and relative sense. Let the reader carefully
      examine the following passages: Mark 1:5; John 6:45; 8:2; Acts 21:28;
      22:15; 2 Corinthians 3:2, etc., and he will find full proof of our
      assertion. 1 Timothy 2:4 cannot teach that God wills the salvation of
      all mankind or otherwise all mankind would be saved-`What His soul
      desireth even that He doeth' (Job 23:13)!" – A.W. Pink.