[Covenanted Reformation] Re: The trouble of uninspired "worship" songs

  • Ben Hart
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 11, 2005
      Hi Whit,

      Ok, no prob. I figured it had to do with when the song was played.

      -Ben

      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 20, 2005
        No problem, Jasper. You get the benefit of the doubt around here, as
        far as I'm concerned. Thanks for saying this, though.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
        <jasperh98@y...> wrote:
        > Jerry,
        >
        > I am sorry if my comments seemed offensive to you - I did not
        intend them to be offensive. I thought I was adding something to the
        discussion as it stood at that point.

        > Overall, the discussion was interesting.
        >
        > Jasper
        >
        > gmw <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        >
        > Perhaps some confusion is removed if you...
        >
        > 1. Don't confuse me with someone who speaks officially for all
        > Covenanters. I am not a teacher, preacher, or elder.
        >
        > 2. Distinguish between using a song in the act of worship, and
        listening to a song in other contexts.

        > 3. Don't confuse the advocating of Exclusive Psalmody with burning
        anyone at the stake. LOL.

        > gmw.
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
        > <jasperh98@y...> wrote:
        > > I recall that on various occasions the forum owner here has
        extolled the virtues of various secular rock groups such as Kansas,
        while verbally "burning at the stake" all christians who sing to God
        praises that are not from a Presbyterian-approved version of the
        Psalms. Gets a bit confusing. I wonder if Blind Willie Johnson is a
        covenantor
        > (see this group's files section)?
        >
        > > Jasper
        >
        > > Maggie Conley <mmpconley@s...> wrote:
        >
        > I agree Ben. This was going to be my response.
        >

        > Just because they hold themselves to the designation of being
        a "Christian Contemporary Musician" doesn't mean there is some
        Eleventh Commandment that says they are required to only sing Praise
        and Worship songs.

        > Just like the cobbler in the famous story told about Martin
        Luther – they can sing whatever they want – unto the Lord. So long
        as it's contents are not defamatory to the Lord and/or good Doctrine.

        one - it was originally written by a group from the 80's named
        Crowded House. I don't think they intended for it to be a worship
        song. Other artists who are Christians have covered secular songs
        just because they like the tune, lyrics, etc. Jennifer Knapp did
        Shawn Colvin's "Diamond in the Rough", Caedmon's Call did U2's "In
        God's Country" and the Supertones did Cindy Lauper's "Time after
        Time" just for a few examples. I'd be pretty shocked to think
        Sixpence considered it a worship song. Was it played during a
        designated 'praise and worship'?