[Covenanted Reformation] Re: The trouble of uninspired "worship" songs

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 11, 2005
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie Conley"
      <mmpconley@s...> wrote:
      > I agree Ben. This was going to be my response.

      I am sorry that I was not clear enough. I've agreed with your
      excellent response from the start as I was not saying that
      Christians should only restrict themselves to Christian music and
      never sing or play secular music. I like and have listened (and
      stil listen) to certain Christian musicians and bands who also play
      or sing secular music.

      Whit

      House. I
      > don't think they intended for it to be a worship song. Other
      artists who
      > are Christians have covered secular songs just because they like
      the tune,
      > lyrics, etc. Jennifer Knapp did Shawn Colvin's "Diamond in the
      Rough",
      > Caedmon's Call did U2's "In God's Country" and the Supertones did
      Cindy
      > Lauper's "Time after Time" just for a few examples. I'd be pretty
      shocked
      > to think Sixpence considered it a worship song. Was it played
      during a
      > designated 'praise and worship'?
      >

      > Is there something wrong with Christian's playing secular songs?
      >

      > -Ben
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Do you Yahoo!?
      > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! <http://my.yahoo.com> - Try it today!
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubs

      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 20, 2005
        No problem, Jasper. You get the benefit of the doubt around here, as
        far as I'm concerned. Thanks for saying this, though.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
        <jasperh98@y...> wrote:
        > Jerry,
        >
        > I am sorry if my comments seemed offensive to you - I did not
        intend them to be offensive. I thought I was adding something to the
        discussion as it stood at that point.

        > Overall, the discussion was interesting.
        >
        > Jasper
        >
        > gmw <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
        >
        > Perhaps some confusion is removed if you...
        >
        > 1. Don't confuse me with someone who speaks officially for all
        > Covenanters. I am not a teacher, preacher, or elder.
        >
        > 2. Distinguish between using a song in the act of worship, and
        listening to a song in other contexts.

        > 3. Don't confuse the advocating of Exclusive Psalmody with burning
        anyone at the stake. LOL.

        > gmw.
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jasper
        > <jasperh98@y...> wrote:
        > > I recall that on various occasions the forum owner here has
        extolled the virtues of various secular rock groups such as Kansas,
        while verbally "burning at the stake" all christians who sing to God
        praises that are not from a Presbyterian-approved version of the
        Psalms. Gets a bit confusing. I wonder if Blind Willie Johnson is a
        covenantor
        > (see this group's files section)?
        >
        > > Jasper
        >
        > > Maggie Conley <mmpconley@s...> wrote:
        >
        > I agree Ben. This was going to be my response.
        >

        > Just because they hold themselves to the designation of being
        a "Christian Contemporary Musician" doesn't mean there is some
        Eleventh Commandment that says they are required to only sing Praise
        and Worship songs.

        > Just like the cobbler in the famous story told about Martin
        Luther – they can sing whatever they want – unto the Lord. So long
        as it's contents are not defamatory to the Lord and/or good Doctrine.