Grant Soles 7/19/1955 - 1/4/2005

  • whiskyfoxypoptart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      My dad was taken home to be with his Saviour this past Tuesday
      morning. He died of malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, which one of
      the most deadly forms of cancer. He was a testimony of God's grace
      to all of us right until the very end. I wanted to share some
      things with you in the hopes that you too will be blessed and give
      praise to the Lord for the work that he wrought in Dad's life.

      Love in Christ,
      Amanda Price

      Written by Pastor Greg Price, January 4, 2005

      Dear Ones,

      The Lord heard our prayers today and healed our dear brother, Grant
      Soles, of his cancer once and for all. The Lord took Grant home to
      be
      with Himself in the glories of heaven at 11 a.m. (PST) January 4, in
      the year of our Lord 2005.

      We rejoice with Grant that he has been enrolled in heaven among those
      who are members of the Church Triumphant. Grant has ceased from all
      his labor, pain, misery, tribulation, and affliction. He has fully
      entered into the joy and rest of the Lord. No sin or temptation can
      touch him any longer. He is now beholding the face of His Savior.
      "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints" (Psalm
      116:15).

      Cathie will feel the loss of her beloved husband to whom she was
      married for 29 years. Belinda, Amanda, Tammy, Doralynne, and Jody
      will feel the loss of their dear father. We will all feel the loss
      of
      a faithful brother in Christ. May our sense of loss make the face of
      Christ and the glory of heaven all the more precious to us as we look
      forward to our heavenly home.

      Let us particularly remember in prayer Cathie and the girls at this
      time. "Rejoice with them that rejoice, and weep with them that weep"
      (Romans 12:15). I'm sure that your letters of encouragement, love,
      and comfort would be much appreciated at this time. Their respective
      email addresses are listed below.

      Cathie Soles <dsranch@...>.
      Belinda Carrico <carricos@...>.
      Amanda Price <iamaprice@...>.
      Tammy Anderson <okidokismokijo@...>.
      Doralynne Dohms <ddohms@...>.
      Jody Soles <tellurianiam@...>.

      Details as to the day and time of Grant's burial have not yet been
      determined. When these details become more clear, they will also be
      passed along to all of you.

      Grant's race here upon earth is finished. Ours continues. Let us
      run
      the race that is laid up before us with patience and perseverance
      ever
      trusting in Christ , the author and finisher of our faith.

      Greg Price

      -------------------------------
      This was penned by Grant while we were in Southern California in
      order
      to attend a Cancer Clinic. Grant loved studying Church History.

      Nov. 14, 2004

      I had Cathie read a letter of Samuel Rutherford's to James Hamilton
      dated July 7, 1637. I was reiterating afterward to her what I had
      heard, saying that in the affliction of Rutherford having been
      removed
      by the Stuart government then 180 miles from his congregation,
      forbidden to preach, to a place where there were none that Rutherford
      could in conscience go and hear, and if I recall forbidden from such
      an act, anyway by authority of the King. Rutherford had finally
      stopped blaming Providence and began giving thanks in his affliction.
      He had begun to see Christ's smiling face toward him, behind the
      darkness of his trouble, the Lord chastens every son that He
      receives.

      I can't help but think of my trouble; pain makes it ever present. It
      is admittedly very difficult to even blurt out thanksgiving or
      praise;
      at times it seems as if all is darkness. Yet at other times focusing
      on these are easier, more welcome. Things make better sense, the
      words and actions of brethren are seen as the smiles of Christ.

      It's all very humbling. We know from Christ's word that the most
      insignificant act done for even the most insignificant brother or
      sister is like having been done unto Christ Himself. We know our own
      shame and unfaithfulness, our corruption, our own running and hiding
      from Him, our excusing ourselves. Our brethren don't know but an
      infa-decimal fraction of it. But here they smile on us by their love
      and encouragement. That's humbling, for so much favor, yet, how much
      more when Christ, who knows us infinitely better than we do, smiles
      on
      us.

      What blessing! What glory! For all of heaven smiles with Christ.

      -submitted by Grant's wife of 29 years
      Cathie-Iris Soles
      January 7, 2005
      One of my best friends will be laid to rest today. I wasn't able to
      make it up to be with my family, so I wrote out what I wanted to say
      with the hope that it will give it's readers a glimpse of the man
      that Dad was. May the Lord use Dad's example to encourage and spurn
      you on to walk with Him all the remaining days of your life.

      Amanda Price

      Please pass this on to any you think would profit from it.

      ~ Dad ~

      Dad was not a perfect man, but the Lord who delights to use these
      weak clay vessels used him so mightily in my life. You see, he was
      really a Teacher diguised as a mechanic. He never wasted an
      opportunity to mould and shape my young heart. He taught me to
      memorize scripture through verse and song. He taught me to love
      music and how to harmonize. He taught me to play with my children by
      getting down and being our bucking bronco, steam-rolling us, and
      giving us whisker rubs. I was born with a deformed heel that would
      often begin aching in the middle of the night. He was always there
      to rub it until the pain went away. He taught me to make the best of
      what the Lord gives me and that material things and worldly comforts
      are fleeting. He taught me that worshiping the Lord privately and as
      a family every day is important. He taught me that "the first shall
      be last and the last shall be first" and not to promote myself. He
      taught me to laugh at irony and (unintentionally) that the best
      thing to do when you feel awkward is be a big goof-ball. He taught
      me how to fold clothes and that things run better when order reigns.
      He taught me to chew on the ends of Timothy grass and that berry
      picking was a tasty experience. He taught me self-sacrifice. He
      taught me to work hard, to serve others with everything in me; to
      redeem the time by being useful and productive. He taught me to
      consider my words. He taught me to be quick to make offenses right.
      He taught me to be practical. He taught me diligence. He taught me
      humility. He taught me to be faithful. He taught me to learn from my
      mistakes and to use what I've learned to encourage and build others
      up. He taught me to buy the truth and sell it not, even if it causes
      discomfort and alienates you from the rest of the world. He taught
      me that the Lord hears me and speaks to me through His word; that I
      can go to him as I would to my earthly dad when my heart is heavy.
      He taught me that I don't have to travel half-way around the world
      to be a missionary; that the Lord can use me wherever he desires. He
      taught me to rejoice in the Lord and to speak his praises even
      through trials and incredible suffering. He taught me that God does
      all things well and that His providence is a tremendous comfort. He
      taught me to trust. He taught me to hope. And he taught me to
      submit.

      There are so many lessons that I've learned from Dad, but I think
      his greatest lesson was how to love; how to give of myself with no
      expectation of anything in return. This he taught by precept, but
      even more-so by the daily exhibition of it toward my mom, us girls,
      and all of the people around him who were blessed by God through his
      humble service.

      Love is long-suffering, kind, doesn't envy, isn't proud or boastful;
      love doesn't behave unseemly, isn't selfish or easily provoked, and
      it thinks no evil; it doesn't rejoice in sin, but rejoices in the
      truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,
      endures all things, and it never fails.

      Dad was a gift from God. I will miss him terribly, but I am so very
      thankful that the Lord was kind enough to bless me with such a
      father. It was a privilege to be his daughter and I look forward to
      that day when we will be reunited in glory.

      Amanda Price

      January 5, 2005
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
        Thank you for sharing a bit of your father with us, Amanda. May God
        bless and comfort your family, your dear mother especially.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, whiskyfoxypoptart
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > expectation of anything in return. This he taught by precept, but
        > even more-so by the daily exhibition of it toward my mom, us girls,
        > and all of the people around him who were blessed by God through
        his
        > humble service.
        >
        > Love is long-suffering, kind, doesn't envy, isn't proud or
        boastful;
        > love doesn't behave unseemly, isn't selfish or easily provoked, and
        > it thinks no evil; it doesn't rejoice in sin, but rejoices in the
        > truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,
        > endures all things, and it never fails.
        >
        > Dad was a gift from God. I will miss him terribly, but I am so very
        > thankful that the Lord was kind enough to bless me with such a
        > father. It was a privilege to be his daughter and I look forward to
        > that day when we will be reunited in glory.

      • Whit
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
          Indeed, thank you very much for sharing about your father. I am
          further grateful for the glimpse, through Pastor Price and this
          forum, of God's Grace in the saint's life and the blessing that he
          was to others especially his family. I pray that God be with you at
          this time and for His gracious comfort and solace toward your family.

          Whit