Re: "Sacrament" and "Ordinance"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
      Hi Whit,

      I hope I can help you a little. All sacraments are ordinances, but
      not all ordinances are sacraments. An ordinances is anything
      ordained by God regarding His worship. Thus the ordinance of praise,
      the ordinance of prayer, of preaching the Word, of the Lord's Supper,
      of baptism, etc. The latter two (baptism and the Lord's Supper) are
      a special kind of ordinance called a Sacrament.

      Shorter Catechism --
      Q92: What is a sacrament?

      A92: A sacrament is an holy ordinance instituted by Christ, wherein,
      by sensible signs, Christ, and the benefits of the new covenant, are
      represented,[1] sealed, and applied to believers.[2]

      1. Gen. 17:10
      2. Rom. 4:11

      A Sacrament is a kind of ordinance that uses something as a sign
      (application of water in baptism, consuming bread and wine in the
      Lord's Supper) which carries some spiritual meaning (regeneration and
      the washing away of sins in the case of baptism, and spiritual
      nourishment in Christ in the case of the Lord's Supper). As
      Calvinists (and not Zwinglians or Anabaptists) we believe that the
      Sacraments do not only signify these spiritual truths, but when
      rightly received, God does use them efficaciously towards the elect
      in actually sealing and applying to them the benefits signified.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"
      <covie_pres.1646@v...> wrote:

      > I am having difficulty discerning the difference
      between "ordinance"