"Sacrament" and "Ordinance"

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
      I am having difficulty discerning the difference between "ordinance"
      and "sacrament". I know that there are 2 Sacraments of the Church,
      that those 2 Sacraments are also ordinances of the Church. I also
      know from our faithful brother Thomas Watson that the other
      ordinances of the Church are the Word and Prayer (from his "Ten
      Commandments") and that not all ordinances are Sacraments. How does
      an ordinance differ from a Sacrament? In other words, what
      distinguishes the Word and Prayer as being ordinances only and the
      Lord's Supper and Baptism as being both ordinances and the 2
      Sacraments?

      Whit
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        Hi Whit,

        I hope I can help you a little. All sacraments are ordinances, but
        not all ordinances are sacraments. An ordinances is anything
        ordained by God regarding His worship. Thus the ordinance of praise,
        the ordinance of prayer, of preaching the Word, of the Lord's Supper,
        of baptism, etc. The latter two (baptism and the Lord's Supper) are
        a special kind of ordinance called a Sacrament.

        Shorter Catechism --
        Q92: What is a sacrament?

        A92: A sacrament is an holy ordinance instituted by Christ, wherein,
        by sensible signs, Christ, and the benefits of the new covenant, are
        represented,[1] sealed, and applied to believers.[2]

        1. Gen. 17:10
        2. Rom. 4:11

        A Sacrament is a kind of ordinance that uses something as a sign
        (application of water in baptism, consuming bread and wine in the
        Lord's Supper) which carries some spiritual meaning (regeneration and
        the washing away of sins in the case of baptism, and spiritual
        nourishment in Christ in the case of the Lord's Supper). As
        Calvinists (and not Zwinglians or Anabaptists) we believe that the
        Sacraments do not only signify these spiritual truths, but when
        rightly received, God does use them efficaciously towards the elect
        in actually sealing and applying to them the benefits signified.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"