RE: [Covenanted Reformation] RE: Sproul VS Covenant

  • Maggie Conley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005

      Perhaps I didn't read Sproul carefully, but what he was saying seemed consistent with this.

      For the record, the February 18th article quoted was taken a tad bit out of context – or at least it seems to me it was.

      I have been a regular subscriber to Tabletalk for almost three years now and this past year on Hebrews has been wonderful.

      The summation of this day’s devotional says this:

      “The Reformed tradition recognizes that the Bible teaches both divine sovereignty and human responsibility.  God is in control of all things.  Human beings are responsible to keep the covenant.  In the book of Hebrews, God gives us real warnings so that human responsibility is not invalidated, but rather sustained because the warnings motivate the invisible Church to keep the faith.

      “It is a sobering thought that every local church probably has people within it who profess Christ but in reality are from the kingdom.  Though we may not know who those people are, we must remain aware that they exist.  Pray that all the people in your church may not only profess faith, but also possess it by God’s Grace.”

      Lest I type the ENTIRE article (and I can if necessary) the point of this article is that the Covenant is made by God, and broken by man.  Men break it over and over, and only God remains true, and only God enables men to remain true, by His Grace in the Faith which He Gifts us.

      Maggie – who begins a new year of Tabletalk in James yesterday.

    • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
        Maggie,

        Very beautiful and sobering about those that are in the visible
        body but not in the invisible body.

        Thank you for posting this!

        -Edgar

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie Conley"