Re: [Covenanted Reformation]

  • Shawn Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
      --- Whit wrote:

      "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
      describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
      dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
      description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
      Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
      occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"

      Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
      address. Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
      SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
      Pastor Mark Altrogge)

      I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
      ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

      Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

      -Shawn Anderson
      Christ_saves_sinners @ yahoo.com
      Albany, NY
    • Whit
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Anderson"
        <christ_saves_sinners@y...> wrote:

        > --- Whit wrote:
        >
        > "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
        > describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
        > dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
        > description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
        > Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
        > occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"
        >
        > Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
        > address.

        No worries. I changed my group membership settings to where you can
        click on my name under the e-mail column on the Messages page to send
        me an e-mail.

        >Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
        > SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
        > Pastor Mark Altrogge)

        Yes, that church in MD is where C.J. attends and is a former senior
        pastor. The Lord Of Life Church is indeed one of the SGM churches,
        and Mark has written some of the songs used in Sunday worship SGM-
        wide. I've been in the MD church for 5 years and 2.5 months.

        Although SGM's soteriology is the only thing that is distinctly
        Reformed, it has vestiges of Reformed influence it other parts of its
        life such a Governance, Ecumenism, Magistrate, Worship, Family, etc.
        The pastors frequently quote from Spurgeon, Watson, Owen, Ryle, and
        other Puritan or Reformed pastors and divines. I credit the Reformed
        influence in kinda keeping the charismatic aspect of the church in-
        check and not allowing the church to degenerate into Pentacostal
        Looneyland as we see in a lot of charismatic churches. The spiritual
        warmth of the SGM churches is similar to the warmth of Metropolitan
        Tabernacle where Spurgeon, Keach, Gill, and currently Dr. Masters
        have pastored although SGM is less Reformed than Metro Tab.

        > I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
        > ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

        I also have friends who have gone or are going through SGM's Pastors
        College (their name for it). The current Dean of the Pastors College
        graduated summa cum laude from Trinity Evangelical Seminary and was
        an Greek teaching fellow under Dr. Wayne Grudem.

        > Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

        I look forward to hearing from you about SGM and its churches.

        Whit