Re: [Covenanted Reformation]

  • covie1646
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hello, David. I am Whit, not a full/communicant Covenanter but a
      transitioning Covenanter. I've been studying the Covenanted
      Reformation for the past year and only in the past month or so met
      with 2 local Covenanter families and during a recent visit, Pastor
      Greg Price of the RPNA. I would also recommend the treasure trove of
      resources at the RPNA's website (http://www.ecn.ab.ca/prce/) and
      Still Water Revival Books (http://www.swrb.com), both of which are a
      immense help for me. The covenanter.org site is also helpful.

      I've friends in the PCA in Virginia and used to attend the PCA when I
      was in college. I've also talked with the Stated Clerk's office in
      GA and the PCA Historical Center in MO regarding the details of PCA
      beliefs and history especially the PCA idea of its being "a
      continuing Presbyterian church", with which it claims to be faithful
      all the way back to the faithful churches ("Scottish Presbyterian" -
      PCA's words) of the 2nd Reformation. (I will leave it to your
      Covenanter reading about whether or not the PCA is indeed faithful to
      the 2nd Reformation in Three Kingdoms, which includes the Kingdom of
      Scotland.)

      I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
      describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
      dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
      description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
      Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
      occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.) In my personal study of
      the Covenanted Reformation and Covenanters, I increasingly find that
      it is "the faith once delivered to the saints" as well as the old
      paths and landmarks set not only by our Reformation forefathers but
      also by Paul, Christ, David, Abraham, and other faithful "giants" of
      the Bible. The history of the Covenanters is a history that is
      frequently bloody where they loved Christ to point of suffering even
      death for His Glory and Lordship over Church and nations.

      Whit, your fellow reader/student of the Covenanted Reformation

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Tia Graham
      <sixredheads@j...> wrote:

      > Greetings List,
      > My name is David. I have been reading the posts on this
      list for
      > several months. Just wanted to post an introduction to give a
      context for
      > potential future posts. I have been reading Covenanter materials and
      > discussing things with a fellow covenanter in PA. I am very
      sympathetic
      > to principles of Covenanted Reformation and hope to learn more from
      this
      > list.
      > In Brief, I am married and have 5 children; the 5th just
      born a
      > couple days ago. I live in Florida, where there is no direct
      fellowship
      > with covenanters. I presently attend a PCA church, but do not think
      to be
      > there much longer. Pray for us as we make big decisions.
      >
      > Cordially in Christ
      > DDG
    • Shawn Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- Whit wrote:

        "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
        describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
        dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
        description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
        Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
        occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"

        Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
        address. Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
        SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
        Pastor Mark Altrogge)

        I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
        ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

        Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

        -Shawn Anderson
        Christ_saves_sinners @ yahoo.com
        Albany, NY
      • Whit
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Anderson"
          <christ_saves_sinners@y...> wrote:

          > --- Whit wrote:
          >
          > "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
          > describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
          > dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
          > description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
          > Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
          > occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"
          >
          > Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
          > address.

          No worries. I changed my group membership settings to where you can
          click on my name under the e-mail column on the Messages page to send
          me an e-mail.

          >Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
          > SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
          > Pastor Mark Altrogge)

          Yes, that church in MD is where C.J. attends and is a former senior
          pastor. The Lord Of Life Church is indeed one of the SGM churches,
          and Mark has written some of the songs used in Sunday worship SGM-
          wide. I've been in the MD church for 5 years and 2.5 months.

          Although SGM's soteriology is the only thing that is distinctly
          Reformed, it has vestiges of Reformed influence it other parts of its
          life such a Governance, Ecumenism, Magistrate, Worship, Family, etc.
          The pastors frequently quote from Spurgeon, Watson, Owen, Ryle, and
          other Puritan or Reformed pastors and divines. I credit the Reformed
          influence in kinda keeping the charismatic aspect of the church in-
          check and not allowing the church to degenerate into Pentacostal
          Looneyland as we see in a lot of charismatic churches. The spiritual
          warmth of the SGM churches is similar to the warmth of Metropolitan
          Tabernacle where Spurgeon, Keach, Gill, and currently Dr. Masters
          have pastored although SGM is less Reformed than Metro Tab.

          > I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
          > ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

          I also have friends who have gone or are going through SGM's Pastors
          College (their name for it). The current Dean of the Pastors College
          graduated summa cum laude from Trinity Evangelical Seminary and was
          an Greek teaching fellow under Dr. Wayne Grudem.

          > Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

          I look forward to hearing from you about SGM and its churches.

          Whit