[Covenanted Reformation]

  • Tia Graham
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
      Greetings List,
      My name is David. I have been reading the posts on this list for
      several months. Just wanted to post an introduction to give a context for
      potential future posts. I have been reading Covenanter materials and
      discussing things with a fellow covenanter in PA. I am very sympathetic
      to principles of Covenanted Reformation and hope to learn more from this
      list.
      In Brief, I am married and have 5 children; the 5th just born a
      couple days ago. I live in Florida, where there is no direct fellowship
      with covenanters. I presently attend a PCA church, but do not think to be
      there much longer. Pray for us as we make big decisions.

      Cordially in Christ
      DDG
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Hello, and welcome, David!

        My name is Jerry, and I'm the moderator here at the Covenanted
        Reformation Club, and one of them there PA Covenanters (a friend of
        the man you've been talking to). It's always nice to have new
        members join who are carefully looking into the Covenanted
        Reformation and what it means for us today.

        Like every other Yahoo Group, things can get heated, and things can
        get mundane. But overall, I think we have a good Group going on
        here. I hope you find your membership here to be beneficial and
        edifying.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Tia Graham
        <sixredheads@j...> wrote:

        > Greetings List,
        > My name is David. I have been reading the posts on this
        list for
        > several months. Just wanted to post an introduction to give a
        context for
        > potential future posts. I have been reading Covenanter materials and
        > discussing things with a fellow covenanter in PA. I am very
        sympathetic
        > to principles of Covenanted Reformation and hope to learn more from
        this
        > list.
        > In Brief, I am married and have 5 children; the 5th just
        born a
        > couple days ago. I live in Florida, where there is no direct
        fellowship
        > with covenanters. I presently attend a PCA church, but do not think
        to be
        > there much longer. Pray for us as we make big decisions.
        >
        > Cordially in Christ
        > DDG
      • covie1646
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          Hello, David. I am Whit, not a full/communicant Covenanter but a
          transitioning Covenanter. I've been studying the Covenanted
          Reformation for the past year and only in the past month or so met
          with 2 local Covenanter families and during a recent visit, Pastor
          Greg Price of the RPNA. I would also recommend the treasure trove of
          resources at the RPNA's website (http://www.ecn.ab.ca/prce/) and
          Still Water Revival Books (http://www.swrb.com), both of which are a
          immense help for me. The covenanter.org site is also helpful.

          I've friends in the PCA in Virginia and used to attend the PCA when I
          was in college. I've also talked with the Stated Clerk's office in
          GA and the PCA Historical Center in MO regarding the details of PCA
          beliefs and history especially the PCA idea of its being "a
          continuing Presbyterian church", with which it claims to be faithful
          all the way back to the faithful churches ("Scottish Presbyterian" -
          PCA's words) of the 2nd Reformation. (I will leave it to your
          Covenanter reading about whether or not the PCA is indeed faithful to
          the 2nd Reformation in Three Kingdoms, which includes the Kingdom of
          Scotland.)

          I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
          describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
          dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
          description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
          Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
          occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.) In my personal study of
          the Covenanted Reformation and Covenanters, I increasingly find that
          it is "the faith once delivered to the saints" as well as the old
          paths and landmarks set not only by our Reformation forefathers but
          also by Paul, Christ, David, Abraham, and other faithful "giants" of
          the Bible. The history of the Covenanters is a history that is
          frequently bloody where they loved Christ to point of suffering even
          death for His Glory and Lordship over Church and nations.

          Whit, your fellow reader/student of the Covenanted Reformation

          <sixredheads@j...> wrote:

          > Greetings List,
          > My name is David. I have been reading the posts on this
          list for
          > several months. Just wanted to post an introduction to give a
          context for
          > potential future posts. I have been reading Covenanter materials and
          > discussing things with a fellow covenanter in PA. I am very
          sympathetic
          > to principles of Covenanted Reformation and hope to learn more from
          this
          > list.
          > In Brief, I am married and have 5 children; the 5th just
          born a
          > couple days ago. I live in Florida, where there is no direct
          fellowship
          > with covenanters. I presently attend a PCA church, but do not think
          to be
          > there much longer. Pray for us as we make big decisions.
          >
          > Cordially in Christ
          > DDG
        • Shawn Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- Whit wrote:

            "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
            describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
            dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
            description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
            Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
            occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"

            Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
            address. Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
            SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
            Pastor Mark Altrogge)

            I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
            ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

            Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

            -Shawn Anderson
            Christ_saves_sinners @ yahoo.com
            Albany, NY
          • Whit
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2004
              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Anderson"
              <christ_saves_sinners@y...> wrote:

              > --- Whit wrote:
              >
              > "I currently attend a church of Sovereign Grace Ministries that
              > describes itself as "essentially Reformed with a charismatic
              > dimension". (I disagree with its "essentially Reformed" self-
              > description as the only thing Reformed is its beliefs in the
              > Doctrines of Grace and its puritan-leaning teaching quoting
              > occasionally from Ryle, Watson, Owen, &c.)"
              >
              > Sorry to write publically,Whit, but I did not have your email
              > address.

              No worries. I changed my group membership settings to where you can
              click on my name under the e-mail column on the Messages page to send
              me an e-mail.

              >Is that the Church with C.J. Mahaney in it? I attended a
              > SGM church when I went to college in Indiana, PA (Lord of Life -
              > Pastor Mark Altrogge)

              Yes, that church in MD is where C.J. attends and is a former senior
              pastor. The Lord Of Life Church is indeed one of the SGM churches,
              and Mark has written some of the songs used in Sunday worship SGM-
              wide. I've been in the MD church for 5 years and 2.5 months.

              Although SGM's soteriology is the only thing that is distinctly
              Reformed, it has vestiges of Reformed influence it other parts of its
              life such a Governance, Ecumenism, Magistrate, Worship, Family, etc.
              The pastors frequently quote from Spurgeon, Watson, Owen, Ryle, and
              other Puritan or Reformed pastors and divines. I credit the Reformed
              influence in kinda keeping the charismatic aspect of the church in-
              check and not allowing the church to degenerate into Pentacostal
              Looneyland as we see in a lot of charismatic churches. The spiritual
              warmth of the SGM churches is similar to the warmth of Metropolitan
              Tabernacle where Spurgeon, Keach, Gill, and currently Dr. Masters
              have pastored although SGM is less Reformed than Metro Tab.

              > I have friends that have or presenlty are in their school of
              > ministry (I think they prefer not to call it seminary).

              I also have friends who have gone or are going through SGM's Pastors
              College (their name for it). The current Dean of the Pastors College
              graduated summa cum laude from Trinity Evangelical Seminary and was
              an Greek teaching fellow under Dr. Wayne Grudem.

              > Anyways, I just wanted to talk to you more about it.

              I look forward to hearing from you about SGM and its churches.

              Whit