Re: WHIT: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: question about USA

  • Barry Ferguson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
      Whit:

          Thank you for your gracious absolution.

          ("Confess your faults to one another" - i.e., to your fellow priests (:) - that you might be healed")

           But I would like to discuss David with respect to despotism.

            David would be hung up by his thumbs on the White House flag pole by the press, by the opposition party, and by responsible leaders of his own party, for pulling the stunt he pulled with Bathsheba's old man.   Imagine George W. even thinking about sending some young Marine into Fallujah (spelling?) simply because he wanted a piece of the poor man's buxom young lass, whose tanning booth is just outside the Oval Office humidor (or, in W's case, just outside the presidential prayer chapel).

              This gets beyond the realm of point of personal privilege for one Alpha Male's royal prerogatives and private peccadilloes  - it flies straight into the jaws of high crimes and misdemeanors.

              David would have been impeached and would have lost all credibility - he would have been thrown into the slammer or into a Martha Stewart Personal Restitution Program - and would be left, as a man of God or as an elder statesman, with but a glimmer of hope to someday rise as Chief Executive Officer of Jimmy Swaggart Ministries.

              Would David have retained credibility or even a semblance of power in Calvin's Geneva with that kind of behavior?

              Benevolent monarchial rule, or patriarchy, can as easily be defended as a "good" form of government in the realm of  fatherhood, of a classroom, of a champion hockey team, of a military, of an apostleship, of the pastoral rule of the church, of a synod, of this forum (hi gmw :), and of Calvin's Geneva, as it can be (seen as good) for the general welfare of a nation.

               There have been many benevolent popes who feared God and who kept the commandments along the lines of a John Calvin or even of a King David or a Solomon - probably more often than not.

                But the downside of an autocrat's major blemishes and/or indiscretions (and unchecked errors in judgement), takes a heavy toll on everyone under his rule - wives, sons, daughters, subjects, parishioners, counselors, theologians, heretics, dissenters, and so on.

                I like Churchill's description of constitutional democracy - it's the worst form of civil government, except for all the others.

                 Barry

               P.S.    I'll explain what I mean with respect to satisfaction in a separate post.

      covie1646 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Barry,

      I forgive you.  At the end of your note, you did bring a great
      question about the King alone shouldering the Government, an idea
      which I am against as the Bible emphasizes the need of having
      counselors.  So, we do agree that the ruler whether President, King,
      or Emperor should not shoulder the Government alone.

      Whit

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Barry Ferguson
      <gogon789@y...> wrote:
      > Whit:

      >        I apologize for the wise guy tone.

      >        Yesterday I went to a funeral and was reminded that we are
      all in this together, we are on each other's side - and the last
      enemy to be destroyed is death.

      Service.