Bible translations and reformed churches

  • stlchristiangal
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2004
      I believe the PCA officially uses the NIV, however I get the feeling
      from listening to different pastors preach and teach that the NIV is
      not their personally preferred version. I myself have little
      affection for the translation as well.

      I was wondering what bible translations other reformed denominations
      use officially, or what some people here personally prefer.

      Grace,
      anne marie
    • bucerian
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, stlchristiangal
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I believe the PCA officially uses the NIV, however I get the
        feeling
        > from listening to different pastors preach and teach that the NIV
        is
        > not their personally preferred version. I myself have little
        > affection for the translation as well.
        >
        > I was wondering what bible translations other reformed
        denominations
        > use officially, or what some people here personally prefer.
        >
        > Grace,
        > anne marie

        Anne Marie,

        It is the primary goal of our organization, The Institute for
        Renaissance and Reformation Biblical Studies (www.thetext.org), to
        assist Reformation people (Anglcian, Reformed, or Lutheran)on this
        topic. Below are several links (just cut and paste in your browser if
        they do not appear as links)that should prove helpful in terms of
        providing you with the necessary information to do you on
        investigation on this demanding topic, rather than rely on other
        folk's opinions(if you would rather receive these as direct links
        just get in touch):

        Theodore P. Letis, Ph.D.
        Director
        The Institute for
        Renaissance and Reformation
        Biblical Studies
        P.O. Box 870525
        Stone Mountain, Georgia 30087
        www.thetext.org

        Letis Online

        Sites that review my work:

        http://www.americanpresbyterianchurch.org/preservation.htm,

        http://www.ourredeemerlcms.org/nttext.htm

        Synopses of my two books defending the TR/AV, The Majority Text and
        The Ecclesiastical Text:

        http://www.bible-researcher.com/letis1.html

        Reviews of my current books:

        http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/irish_biblical_studies_vol23.pdf
        http://www.kuyper.org/thetext/ecctextReview.html
        http://www.amprpress.com/the_majority_text.htm,
        http://www.amprpress.com/edward_f__hills.htm

        The foreword to my study on the life and work of Edward Freer Hills,
        written as my master's thesis at Emory University:

        http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/Forewor11.html

        My assessment of the significance of Hills' work:

        http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/letis_KJBible.pdf

        My assessment of the NIV:

        http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/IRRBS-11-15-01.pdf

        My assessment of the NASB:

        http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/electronic_NL_3.pdf

        My radio interview re: the "English Standard Version" - Southwest
        Radio Church, Jan. 2, 2003:

        http://www.swrc.com/broadcasts/2003/january.htm

        My view of the Pope as the very Antichrist:

        http://www.wls.wels.net/Publications/Theologia/vol3no1/WrightAntichris
        t/WrightAntichrist.htm

        Abstract of lecture given at the International Meeting of the Society
        of Biblical Literature in Berlin the summer of

        2002:http://www.bts.edu/trobisch/Temp/SBL_Berlin_2002.htm

        Lecture this summer before the international meeting of the Society
        of Biblical Literature, Cambridge University, 2003:

        http://www.sbl-
        site2.org/Congresses/IM/2003/IM_Public_Program_Review.php3?
        Last_Name=letis

        On-line audio lecture on the ESV:

        http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?
        currSection=sermonsspeaker&sermonID=41504103537
      • forisraelssake
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
          Dear Dr Letis

          While much of your work is interesting and informative to me, I have
          a question about your beliefs in bible inerrancy/infallibility.

          James R. White once told me that you promote Yale Professor Brevard
          Childs' canonical theory. Correct me if I am wrong, but this theory
          includes that one can accept the conclusions of modernistic higher
          criticism while at the same time accepting the Bible as
          the "canonical Word of God."

          I am interested in your views given White's remarks about you and
          your own words on Page 40 of _The Revival of the Ecclessiastical
          Text and the Claims of the Anabaptists_ (1992)
          [http://www.holywordcafe.com/bible/ecctext/index.html ] where you
          approvingly quote a theological liberal who in the quotation
          endorses higher criticism and that the bible contains many factual
          errors. If I were writing that tract, and I endorsed your specific
          view of the ecclessiastical text being the canonical text, I know I
          would have definitely had chosen someone else to quote from to make
          the point you were making there.

          If you'll permit me to ask:

          Do you accept the Bible as the historically accurate record of God's
          infallible revelation?

          Do you believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch under divine inspiration?
          Do you believe the Old Testament record of miracles is accurate?
          Do you believe the Bible's accounts of miraculous events are
          exaggerated?
          Do you believe the Apostle Paul wrote or dictated all the epistles
          attributed to him in the New Testament?

          Can you affirm the full verbal and plenary inspiration of the bible?

          Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply to my query, and I
          hope my asking you about this you will not considered rude if in
          fact you have pretty conventionally historic views about these
          matters, but it was hard for me to think of a way to ask you other
          than by just directly asking you what you really believe point-blank.

          Chris

          Montreal, QC
          RPNA ( http://www.ecn.ab.ca/prce/ )
        • Dan Fraas
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I believe the PCA officially uses the NIV, however I get the
            feeling
            > from listening to different pastors preach and teach that the NIV
            is
            > not their personally preferred version. I myself have little
            > affection for the translation as well.
            >
            > I was wondering what bible translations other reformed
            denominations
            > use officially, or what some people here personally prefer.

            At all of the PCA churches that I visited or was formerly a member of
            the pastor, and most of the members, used the NKJV. I don't think
            you'll find "officially approved" translations in any Presbyterian
            churches, but you will in some continental Reformed denominations.
            In historic Presbyterianism the General Assembly acts as a court to
            decide cases according to the Scriptures, not as a legislature to
            decree things which the Scriptures do not require.

            Blessings in Christ,

            Riley
          • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
              Hello Anne Marie,

              The RPNA ( www.albanycrpc.org and www.ecn.ab.ca/prce )uses the AV
              (aka the KJV) as the official text. Not because Paul spoke Olde
              English ;-)but because we are certain that the Greek text underlying
              the NT is more faithful to the autographs than the NT Greek of
              Wescott-Hort and the Nestle-Aland Greek text that the United Bible
              Society uses and which the modern translations use. We are certain
              that the UBS Greek contains more corruptions and since the Church
              has had the Majority Text and the Received Text (part of the MT
              family), for most of it's existence it is what God has providential
              kept for His Chruch to use and have as His Word. There are streams
              of works out there that prove the AV to be a more faithful
              translation, albeit the English could be improved, so this is a
              thumbnail reason here.

              Just for kicks compare NIV/NASB with the KJV on John 6:43. Tell
              me which version proclaims Sola Christus for our salvation? The
              Pagans love to use this verse to prove that all you need is faith in
              God to be saved. Let us see if all the readers catch the subtle,
              but different message that is a robbery of the Gospel. (too much
              hints already!)

              The James Begg Society and the Trinitarian Bible Society have a lot
              of resources to prove the superiority of the Authorized Version (AV).

              Yours in Christ,

              Edgar

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I believe the PCA officially uses the NIV, however I get the
              feeling
              > from listening to different pastors preach and teach that the NIV
              is
              > not their personally preferred version. I myself have little
              > affection for the translation as well.
              >
              > I was wondering what bible translations other reformed
              denominations
              > use officially, or what some people here personally prefer.
              >
              > Grace,
              > anne marie
            • Theodore Letis
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004

                "Edgar A. Ibarra Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@...> wrote:

                The James Begg Society and the Trinitarian Bible Society have a lot
                of resources to prove the superiority of the Authorized Version (AV).

                Yours in Christ,

                Edgar

                Thank you Edgar, I too, find the TBS publications to be good, and I have heard good things about the Begg society as well.The authors I mentioned earlier, however, should be avoided as a near cult. Furthermore, those who make a public defense of the AV ought to also be quick to distance themselves from bad books on this subject.

                non v'e peggior ladro d'un cattivo libro

                ("there is no robber worse than a bad book")

                Theodore P. Letis

                (www.thetext.org)

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • covie1646
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
                  My current church (claims itself to be "essentially Reformed with a
                  charismatic dimension"....the "essentially Reformed" with which I
                  personally disagree about the claim) used to use the NIV. Two years
                  ago, they switched to the ESV (supposedly the KJV's "grandson").
                  Personally, I prefer the KJV or the Geneva Study Bible (what I used
                  for my personal study). However, I am in transition to the RPNA, and
                  I believe that they use the AV/KJV.

                  Whit