Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Alpha Coarse

  • Anglicananswer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2004
      I have been told by some Anglicans that the Alpha course is a bland broad based evangelical semi Charismatic approach that can be used by anyone (including Roman Catholics).

      As for unlimited atonement....I suspect the course doesnt even know whatthe atonement means...but then again...I think Evangelism Explosion is Arminian to the core and implies universal atonement.

      But that is just my opinion.

      Paul
    • stlchristiangal
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004
        > atonement means...but then again...I think Evangelism Explosion is
        Arminian to
        > the core and implies universal atonement.

        I would like to know what exactly about EE you think is Arminian? In
        the EE gospel presentation phrases such as "Do you see why it is
        impossible for anyone to get into heaven by their good works?"
        and "God is merciful and doesn't want to punish us, but he is also
        just, and must punish sin." don't seem to me to imply any sort of
        arminianism.

        ~anne marie
      • Anglicananswer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004
          In a message dated 9/27/04 10:17:15 PM Central Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

          "Do you see why it is
          impossible for anyone to get into heaven by their good works?"
          and "God is merciful and doesn't want to punish us, but he is also
          just, and must punish sin." don't seem to me to imply any sort of
          arminianism.

          You have never heard an Arminian say,
          "Do you see why it is impossible for anyone to get into heaven by their good works?"
          AND
          "God is merciful and doesn't want to punish us, but he is also just, and must punish sin."
          ?

          Billy Graham says the above and he is a rank Arminian.

          I have heard Arminians say the above.

          Paul
        • covie1646
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
            My current church (a semi-charismatic church) uses and emphasises the
            Alpha course. Since the church believes the Doctrines of Grace,
            unlimited atonment is not taught in the course. However, what gets
            me is that it emphasises a "non-threatening" atmosphere, which seems
            to allow anything to be discussed in a "non-controversial" manner and
            thus does not emphasise the Gospel or allows heresies to be discussed
            on the same plane as Christianity. I would not recommend the course
            becaues of that.

            Whit

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Anglicananswer@a...