Re: Lower Presbyterians

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 23, 2004
      Friend (?),

      What I mean is that during the Reformation and the 2nd Reformation,
      the Church of Scotland purged herself of many unwarranted worship
      practices, unwarranted officers, adopted the original Westminster
      Standards as per the Solemn League and Covenant, etc., but has since
      backed away from her former positions, rejecting some of them
      outright. For historical particulars, I recommend you to the
      following documents which do enumerate the various defections which
      lead to the Covenanters being no longer able, in good conscience, to
      continue in the body calling herself the Church of Scotland:

      http://www.truecovenanter.com/sanquhar1692.html
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/societies/informatory_vindication.html
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/guthrie/guthrie_james_reformation_principles.html
      http://www.truecovenanter.com/guthrie/guthrie_james_dangers.html

      Now, please forgive me if I cause offense to you unnecessarily. These
      e-groups tend to draw all kinds of folks, some friendly, some
      not-so-friendly. Some honest, some not-so-honest. Most of the
      friendly and honest folks, don't mind sharing their name. Mine is
      Jerry (Gerald, actually, but my friends call me Jerry). You will find
      that you may get more thoughtful and gentle responses (as Whit can
      testify, they do happen here) if the folks in this group who are
      knowledgable about the things you are asking, believe that you are
      asking honest questions, for an honest end. I must say, however, that
      coming in here under the guise of a ravenous wolf, not identifying
      yourself in anyway whatsoever, and immediately asking what seems to be
      a very loaded question (which I was hoping no one would bite on, but
      alas...), does not do well to convince folks that you are here to ask
      honest questions for an honest end. So, for now, there are some
      documents for you to read in your spare time. Perhaps sometime we can
      discuss the things touched upon therein.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, ravenous_calvinist