Even if the Pope was a legitimate authority...

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22 7:22 AM
      "Even though the bishop of Rome had the primacy and superiority by
      divine right, nevertheless obedience would not be due those pontiffs
      who defend godless services, idolatry, and doctrine conflicting with
      the Gospel. Nay; such pontiffs and such a government ought to be held
      accursed, as Paul clearly teaches, Gal. 1:8: Though an angel from
      heaven preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have
      preached unto you, let him be accursed. And in Acts 5:29: We ought to
      obey God rather than men. Likewise the canons also clearly teach that
      a heretical Pope is not to be obeyed."

      -- The Smalcald Theologians (Lutherans), 1537.