Seeking Advice on a Possible Reprint

  • Michael Gaydosh
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Dear Covenant Reformation Brethren,

      I just got hold of a copy of a volume that might peek your interest.
      It is called "Southern Presbyterian Pulpit: A Collection of Sermons
      from Ministers in the Southern Presbyterian Church". It was first
      published in 1896 by The Presbyterian Committee on Publication,
      Richmond, VA. I am seeking advice about the possibility of reprinting
      this volume.

      It includes complete sermons from 33 leading ministers and includes
      a "likeness" of each man. It includes sermons from men like B.M.
      Palmer, Moses Hoge, John Girardeau, R.L. Dabney, J.R. Stratton,
      George D. Armstrong, Neander Woods, T.D. Witherspoon and 25 others.
      The titles include:
      The Transforming Power of the Gospel - 2 Cor. 5:17
      The Changing World and the Unchanging God - Heb. 1:10-12
      Christ's Pastoral Presence with His Dying People - Psalm 23:4
      The Pitilessness of Sin - Matt. 27:3-5
      Children of the Covenant - Acts 3:25,26
      "How Long Halt Ye Between Two Opinions?" - 1 Kings 18:21
      Take Hold of God - Isa. 27:5
      "To Me to Live is Christ" - Phil. 1:21

      In the Preface we are given the motives which prompted the volume.
      "There has been a distinct demand for a book of practical sermons,
      suitable for reading in the public worship of God when conducted by
      ruling elders of the church.
      But in addition to this motive, it seemed desirable to put into
      permanent form some examples of the work of our Southern Presbyterian
      pulpit, which is, we are confident, second to none in eloquence,
      doctrinal purity, persuasiveness, and practical power."

      The preachers are from places like Baltimore, MD; Richmond, VA;
      Huntsville, AL; Washington, D.C.; Greensboro, NC; New Orleans, LA;
      Natchez, MS; Clarksville, TN; Louisville, KY; Lexington, KY; Memphis,
      TN; Charleston, SC; Norfolk, VA; Fayetteville, AR; Galveston, TX;
      Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; Columbia, SC; Waco, TX; Mobile, AL;
      Nashville, TN; Charlottesville, VA; St. Louis, MO among others.

      A sample from the conclusion of one by Rev. W.U. Murkland, Pastor of
      Franklin Street Presbyterian Church, Baltimore, MD may whet your
      appetite. It is from the sermon entitled, "The Divineness of the
      Family Bond" from 2 Timothy 1:3. He concludes...

      "I cannot close with this sad note. I strike another key. It is the
      music of the divine home; of a Father's house in which is bread
      enough and to spare; of a Father's heart that sees a great way off,
      and is full, so full, of compassion for every wanderer.

      When, a few years ago, I sailed down the upper Danube, the place
      which stirred me most was the castled height of the river where
      Richard the Lion-hearted had been entrapped and imprisoned on his
      return from the Holy Land. No one in England knew the place of his
      captivity. But his faithful minstrel, Blondel, journeyed from city to
      city, from castle to castle, playing and singing under stone walls
      the strains which Richard knew and loved; and, lo! as he played by
      this unknown castle, the music stole into the prison of the king. The
      king made sign of his presence, and, once found, the ransom and
      deliverance followed fast.

      I play an old melody today. I touch the strings which sing of home
      and early faith; of a mother's love, of a father's God. O friend!
      does not the song find thee? Make signal of thy captivity. Come out
      of thy prison. There is a Friend without the gate. The ransom of a
      king is in his hands. Exiles from God and hope, or captives in sin,
      within the stone walls of an ill-spent, wasted and sorrowful past, I
      say unto you, there is joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth!"

      There are over 400 more pages of such thrilling exposition and
      exhortation in this book. What do you think? Should I pursue
      reprinting it?

      I would appreciate any comments... Thanks.

      Mike Gaydosh
      Solid Ground Christian Books
      http://solid-ground-books.com
      (205) 443-0311
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        I, for one, love sermon books, ESPECIALLY by the older Presbyterians,
        and would love to hear of more books like this back in print. I
        cannot promise a purchase, as I'm quite low on money -- still reeling
        from medical bills from late last year and early this year. But that
        would definately be a book I'd look very carefully into getting my
        hands on.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Gaydosh"