Re: Lightfoot no preterist?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      To be fair, (as far as I can tell) Lightfoot did have a preterist view of Matthew 24, of Daniel, and of Revelation.  Yes, Lightfoot called Rome "antichrist," but neither do preterists deny that -- Lightfoot, in the same sermon you quote identifies civil Rome with the Beast, and the Papacy with "the image of the Beast," as if to say that the Pope is the image of the first wicked Roman dictator. In the same sermon, he explains his view that Daniel's prophecies go up to Christ's first Advent AND NO FURTHER, and that Revelation picks up from there and GOES NO FURTHER BACK, intending that the destruction of Jerusalem is included in the prophecies of Revelation.  Don't Lightfoot's notes on the Assembly procedings exist?  I'd be interested to see if he has anything regarding the Article identifying the Pope as THE man of sin, THE antichrist.