Political Dissent AND Antichrist!

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      Two great topics tied into one historic document. lol. Here's the
      "Protestation and Apologetic Admonitory Declaration, of the
      Contending & Suffering Remnant of the true Presbyterians of the
      church of Scotland, against the proclaiming James duke of York, king
      of Scotland, England, France, and Ireland, the lawfulness of the
      present pretended parliament, and the apparent inlet of popery, &c."
      published at Sanquhar upon the 28th day of May 1685.

      Let King Jesus reign, and all his enemies be scattered,
      gmw.

      ---
      It hath pleased the holy and wise God, to exercise the church of
      Scotland now of a long time, with wrestling and warfaring, under the
      yoke of cruel oppressors, who have made it their whole work to
      extirpate the true worship and worshippers of God out of the land,
      they make it highly criminal to own Christ as sole supreme over his
      own house, to mention any adherence to Scotland's reformation and
      covenants, and to take the written word of God to be the only rule of
      faith and manners, discerning any to forfeit right to estate, life,
      and liberty who are of Presbyterian principles, who will not make a
      full surrender of conscience unto them, to be carried about as they
      please, complying with all contradictions, and contradictory
      impositions which their diabolic spirits may invent, who are clearly
      seen to be void of all religion, reason, and humanity; so that they
      proceed against all recusants with the height of barbarity and
      hellish cruelty, refusing to hear them profess subjection to rulers
      only in the Lord, and according to his word, yea, cutting them off in
      the fields without giving them any time to deliberate upon death, yea
      oftentimes without so much as to commit their spirits unto the Lord,
      but butcherously slaying them, without taking notice what they are,
      or what (according to their own law) is to be led against them:
      Moreover, these arbitrarians have so raged, that they have now
      brought the land to that (Oh! poor miserable and lamentable slavery)
      that the freest subject and best gentleman in the kingdom, is by
      their acts, laws, and proceedings holden obliged to give an oath
      super inquirendis before any single soldier or dragoon meeting them
      upon the way. Lo all this and much more, we have met with, as just
      upon the Lord's part, though most unjust upon man's for our manifold
      sins and iniquities; and in a special manner for our not purging our
      judicatories and armies, when the power was in our hands, of men
      disaffected to the cause and interest of Christ; for our bringing in
      known malignants to places of power and trust among us; and for
      inordinate affection unto, and lusting after the deceast tyrant,
      Charles the Second, and advancing him to the regal throne, even while
      known by many palpable discoveries (as are to be seen in the causes
      of God's wrath with the church of Scotland) to retain his heart
      enmity at the covenanted work of reformation, which sins we desire to
      confess and mourn for, before God, angels and men; as also our sin in
      not timeously rejecting the foresaid Charles, when he brake covenant
      and all parts of his coronation oath: howbeit fearing the lying under
      such a sin any longer, when we were brought to a very small remnant,
      we did by open declarations, disclaim his pretended authority, upon
      many important grounds and reasons, as is to be seen elsewhere,
      particularly in our declaration published at Lanerk, January 12, 1682
      years. All which declarations we do hereby ratify and approve.

      So now, the Lord in his goodness and wisdom having removed the
      foresaid Charles from his tyranny by death: and a few wicked and
      unprincipled men of this kingdom, having by open proclamation
      proclaimed James duke of York, though a profest Papist and
      excommunicate person, and not yet received into the church again, to
      be king of Scotland, England, France, and Ireland: we the contending
      and suffering remnant of the true Presbyterians of the church of
      Scotland, calling to mind the many bonds and obligations that lie
      upon us from the Lord; and being desirous to be found faithful in
      this day of temptation, to avoid accession to the guilt in which many
      have involved themselves, to exoner our consciences as in his sight,
      to testify our resentment of the deed, and to make it appear unto the
      world that we are free thereof, whether by concurrence or connivance;
      do here deliberately, jointly, and unanimously protest against the
      foresaid proclamation of James duke of York, to be king, as said is,
      in regard that it is the choosing a murderer to be a governor, who
      hath shed the blood of the saints of God; in regard that it is the
      height of confederacy with an idolater, which is forbidden by the law
      of God: in regard that it is contrary to the declaration of the
      general assembly of the church of Scotland, of the date 27th July
      1649 years; in regard that it is contrary to many wholesome and
      laudable acts of parliament, as act 8, parliament first, repeated in
      the 99th act, parliament 7, ratified in the 23d act, parliament 11.
      114th act, parliament 12 of King James VI. For there is a continual
      obligation & stipulation between a king & people, as both of them are
      tied to God, so each of them are tied to other, for the performance
      of mutual & reciprocal Duties; And as contrare to 24th act,
      parliament 11, King James VI. where papists are discerned to be
      punished by manifold civil and ecclesiastic pains, as adversaries to
      God's true religion: yea, they are ordained to be punished as common
      enemies to all Christian government; act 8, parliament 16, King James
      VI. And in regard that it is inconsistent with the safety of the
      faith, conscience, and Christian liberty of Christian people, to
      choose a subject of Antichrist to be their (especially supreme)
      magistrate. And so it is, that we understand that part of the 4th
      sect. chap. 23, of our Confession of Faith, and in a general and
      abstract sense, where it is said (in opposition to sectarians, who
      assert that such are not lawful kings, who either know not Christ, or
      believe not in him) that infidelity or difference in religion, doth
      not make void the magistrate's just and legal authority, nor free the
      people from their due obedience to him: We acknowledge it to be true
      indeed, that infidels and these of a different religion are not
      (chiefly because such) presently to be declared no magistrates, for
      magistratus non est magistratus qua Christianus, sed qua homo: so it
      is that the magistratical power considered generaliter, given for the
      good of human societies, may be in the person of an infidel, or one
      of a different religion, but considered specialter, given for the
      good of the church, it is only in the person of a professor of the
      true religion. Hence, in travelling or trafficking in foreign lands,
      be the persons in whom is the power, infidels or of a different
      religion, we cannot refuse subjection to their laws, so far as they
      are consistent with the written word of God, and our true Christian
      liberty. Howbeit, our covenants and acts of parliament have put a bar
      upon the admission of any person, if either infidels or of a
      different religion, while such, to govern in Scotland: and the
      practice of our church confirms it, in refusing the crown to the late
      deceast tyrant Charles II. until he subscribed such demands as were
      sent unto him; and especially upon the admission of a known enemy to
      the true religion, to govern: for it could not but be both highly
      sinful and irrational for us, to entrust an enemy to the work and
      people of God, with the interest of both.

      Also conceiving that this pretended parliament is not a lawful
      parliament, in regard that the election of commissioners is limited
      and prejudged, in the due liberty thereof, by their acts and laws: in
      regard that the members are convicted of avowed perjury, which,
      according to the Scottish law, maketh a man incapable of being so
      much as a witness, in regard they are men of blood, the chief being
      convicted of avowed murder, whereby they are under the lash of the
      law; and in regard of their carrying on apostacy, and making way for
      the man of sin: we do in the like manner, upon these and many other
      important grounds and reasons, protest against the validity and
      constitution of this present parliament, as not being free and lawful
      against their assuming to themselves any authority, or exercising any
      power or jurisdiction, for making of acts or laws for judging of
      causes, determining of controversies, or proceeding in any
      parliamentary way. And in particular, we protest against their
      proceeding to any approbation or ratification of the foresaid
      proclamation of James duke of York, to be king, as said is: and that
      they may not go on further, to set the crown upon his head, they
      being incapable to give it, & he to receive it.

      And further seeing, bloody Papists, the subjects of Antichrist,
      become so hopeful, bold, and confident, under the perfidy of the said
      James duke of York, and popery itself so eminent, and (oh
      lamentable!) like to be intruded again (if God's mercy and power
      meeting together in a wonderful way prevent it not) upon these
      covenanted lands, an open door being made thereunto, by its accursed
      and abjured harbinger Prelacy, which these three kingdoms are equally
      sworn against. We do in the like manner, protest against all kind of
      popery in general and particular heads, the jurisdiction of the pope,
      all the heretical and erroneous doctrine of the church of Rome, their
      tyrannous laws made against Christian liberty, their erroneous and
      bloody decrees, their vain ceremonies and superstitions, their
      allegories, rites, signs, and traditions, their laws, statues, acts,
      constitutions, canons, civil or municipal, with all other ordinances
      and practique penalties whatsoever, made in prejudice of the true
      religion and the professors thereof, or of the true church
      discipline, and jurisdiction or freedom thereof, and every other
      thing contrary to sound doctrine and the power of godliness, abjured
      most explicitly by our national covenant, abrogated, annulled, and
      rescinded by our acts of parliament, as act 3. Act 31, parl. 1. Act
      23, parl. 11. Act 114. parl. 12. Act 5, parl. 20, King James VI. We
      say, we do protest against all kind of Popery whatsoever, against its
      entering against into this land, and against every thing that doth,
      or may directly or indirectly, make way for the same, disclaiming
      likewise all sectarianism, malignancy, and any confederacy therewith.

      Moreover, taking to our serious consideration, the low, deplorable
      and obscured state of the churches of England and Ireland, and that
      we are all bound in one covenant and solemn league together, we (in
      the bowels of Christ) do in like manner hereby admonish you our
      brethren in these our neighbouring and covenanted lands, that ye
      remember how far ye have sadly failed in pursuing the ends of our
      covenants (as we ourselves also have done, which we desire to
      confess, imploring God's forgiveness to you and us both) how ye have
      suffered your Lord's enemies to rob you of all your privileges and
      pleasant things: how ye have given up yourselves to be seduced by
      complying lukewarm and court flattering brethren; and how ye have
      passed by, lightly looking upon our bleeding wounds, denying us help,
      though we have been like to give up the ghost; and what great
      accession ye have to the giving Popery such an open door to enter
      upon our land again. Remember these things, and consider what the
      Lord is now calling for at our hand: break off your sinful ways by
      repentance; and abandon all lukewarmness and indifferency in the
      Lord's matters, give up with your own things; be tender of God's
      declarative glory, which is lying at the stake: quit yourselves like
      Christians and men; and stretch your hands to the helping,
      strengthening, encouraging, and comforting a poor wasted, wronged,
      wounded, reproached, despised, and bleeding remnant (with whom you
      are in covenant) setting yourselves against all the injuries and
      affronts done to our blessed Lord Jesus Christ, against the man of
      sin, the kingdom of Antichrist, and all the limbs and parts thereof.
      And here, with all sincerity of mind, and unfeignedness of
      resolution, we promise to act unto you the part of covenanted
      brethren in the Lord, to the utmost of our power. Likewise, we do
      hereby in like manner, call unto you, all protestant reformed
      churches, kingdoms, and commonwealths, that you would take to your
      serious consideration the low and dangerous state of the gospel
      interest, and advert to the growth and increase of popery in all
      places, bestirring yourselves timeously against it, lest ye be too
      late, and lose what much blood and contending may not recover again;
      considering the distressed case, whereinto we are brought, as a share
      of the true protestant interest; and refreshing us with your help:
      and withal, as ye tender the advantage of Christ's cause, which to
      own is the Christian's glory, that ye engage not yourselves in any
      quarrel, or with any person whatsomever, till you know that the
      quarrel be rightly stated, and that the persons in the judgment of
      charity are seeking the advancement of the kingdom of Christ, lest
      that ye join yourselves to these who may lead you back to Egypt, and
      so you provoke the Lord to destroy you in the wilderness.

      Finally, we being misrepresented to many, by the wicked malice of our
      avowed enemies, and the sinful prejudice of others, who
      misrepresenting our late declaration, affixed at several parish
      church doors (which we do hereby ratify and approve) perverting the
      true and obvious sense thereof. And through blind malice and
      prejudice mistaking our designs therein (else their consciences give
      their tongue the lie) hold us forth as persons of murdering and
      assassinating principles: all which principles and practices, we do
      hereby declare before God, angels and men, that we abhor, renounce,
      and detest, as also all manner of robbing of any, whether open
      enemies, or others, which we are most falsely aspersed with, either
      in their gold, their silver, their gear, or any household stuff.
      Their money perish with themselves; the Lord knows that our eyes are
      not after these things. And in like manner, we do hereby disclaim all
      unwarrantable practices committed by any few persons reputed to be of
      us, whereby the Lord hath been offended, his cause wronged, and we
      all made to endure the scourge of tongues; for which things we have
      desired to make conscience of mourning before the Lord, both in
      public and private. As the unwarrantable manner of killing that
      curate of Carspharin (though he was a man of death, both by the law
      of God and man, and the fact not materially murder) it being gone
      about contrary to our declaration, without deliberation, common or
      competent consent, (the conclusion and deed being known only to three
      or four person) in a rash, and not in a Christian manner. And also
      other offences being committed at the time, which miscarriages have
      proven a mean to stop and retard lawful, laudable, and warrantable
      proceedings, both as to matter and manner. But let not guilty persons
      think themselves indemnified. Howbeit, we require and hope, that all
      whosoever in this our land, our neighbour or foreign lands, who have
      not a wilful prejudice at the cause and way of God, will not give ear
      unto reports, which stated enemies, or prejudiced pretended friends
      give of us, that they will not impute the miscarriages of one or more
      persons, to us or all of us; who desire that nothing may be looked on
      hereafter, as our deed, which wanteth common consent or approbation,
      and that they will not receive a wrong impression of us and our
      proceedings: for we call the living God, the Searcher of hearts, to
      witness, that this only is our sincere desire, and unfeigned
      resolution, to continue in the profession and obedience of the true
      religion of Jesus Christ, according to his word, our covenants,
      national and solemn league, to defend the same, and to resist all
      contrary errors, corruptions, and innovations, according to our
      vocation, and the utmost of the power that God doth, or may put in
      our hands.

      Now, we hope none who have not made a full surrender of conscience,
      and are not bent to welcome popery into the land, will be offended at
      what we have here done: For, in the Lord's sight, we durst do no
      less, whatever occasion of persecution our God's enemies may take
      from the same: For we could not see at the time any other way to
      discharge our duty before the Lord, to exoner our consciences, and to
      free ourselves of the connivance at popery, which we pray the Lord
      may stop, and not lay the guilt of its increase to the charge of us
      and our posterity.

      Therefore, we appoint and ordain, that incontinently ye our
      emissaries pass upon the twenty-eighth day of May 1685 years, unto
      the market cross of Sanquhar; and there, by open proclamation, make
      intimation of this our declaration, leaving copies of the same
      affixed upon the foresaid market cross, and other patent places of
      the foresaid burgh.

    • jparnellm@usxchange.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        From Lex Rex: "The kingdom, by God, yea, and church, justice and religion, so
        far as they concern the whole kingdom, are committed not to the keeping
        of the king only, but to all the judges, elders, and princes of the
        land: and they are rebuked as evening wolves, lions, oppressors, (Ezek.
        xxii. 27; Zec. iii. 3; Isa. iii. 14, 15; Mic. iii. 1-3,) when they
        oppress the people in judgment, so are they (Deut. i. 15-17; 2 Chron.
        xix. 6, 7) made judges, and therefore they are no more to be restrained
        not to convene by the king's power, (which is in this accumulative and
        auxiliary, not privative,) than they can be restrained in judgment, and
        in pronouncing such a sentence, as the king pleased, and not such a
        sentence; because, as they are to answer to God for unjust sentences, so
        also for no just sentences, and for not convening to judge, when
        religion and justice, which are fallen in the streets, calleth for them."

        The Parliament should be called upon to restrain the king, and even judge the
        king, when he does wickedly. But it is not the right of mere individuals to
        act the part of Parliament (ie, "the judges, elders, and princes of the
        land").

        Individual citizens may not depose the king, nor may ministers of the gospel.
        For this would erase the distinction between the body politic and the
        individual citizen.

        - Parnell McCarter