Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Richard Sibbes and ...

  • covie1646
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 8:12 PM
      Ray,

      I agree about judging others. Although we are to boldly testify the
      Truth and refute heresy, we should do it charitably for God's Word in
      1.Cor.13 is clear that we must have charity lest we are "noisy gongs"
      or "clanging cymbals". God's Word also is clear that if a brother is
      caught in sin, we should restore him but gently lest we also would be
      tempted. I failed to obey God in those verses when I responded to
      your posts. I ask for your forgiveness, Ray, for being uncharitable
      and judgmental in my reply towards you and thereby for being blind to
      your wise counsel about judging others.

      Whit

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, covie1646
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "RevRayJoseph"
      > <RevRayJoseph@r...> wrote:
      > > It might help a bit if today's saints were a bit more committed
      > the Word
      > > of God, rather than swallowing whole what fallible saints of old
      > believed.
      > > Some were right, some were wrong, all will know infallibly now
      (in
      > heaven)
      > > whether they were right or wrong.
      >
      > Sir, red flags ascended in my mind when I examined your posts
      > relative to Scripture. I am wondering if you realize the extent of
      > what you are saying in this post and, in the previous post, by your
      > accusing us of being Pharisees and unbiblically judgmental.
      >
      > 1. Shall we remain silent and thus disobey God and compromise the
      > landmarks that God set through our faithful fathers when someone
      > presents heresy and thereby opposes sound doctrine and what has
      been
      > faithfully handed down and taught (many times through martyred
      > hands)? Shall we effectively remove the landmarks by regarding
      them
      > as negligible or making light of them as you are asking us to do?
      >
      > "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." --
      Exodus
      > 20:16
      >
      > "For the time will come when men will not put up with sound
      doctrine.
      > Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a
      > great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to
      hear.
      > They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to
      > myths." -- 2.Tim. 4:3-4
      >
      > "Take heed unto thyself, AND unto the doctrine; continue in them:
      for
      > in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear
      thee."
      > 1.Tim. 4:16 (emphasis mine)
      >
      > "He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been
      > taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and
      refute
      > those who oppose it." -- Titus 1:9
      >
      > "SOME REMOVE THE LANDMARKS; they violently take away flocks, and
      feed
      > thereof. They drive away the ass of the fatherless, they take the
      > widow's ox for a pledge. They turn the needy out of the way: the
      poor
      > of the earth hide themselves together. Behold, as wild asses in the
      > desert, go they forth to their work; rising betimes for a prey: the
      > wilderness yieldeth food for them and for their children. They reap
      > every one his corn in the field: and they gather the vintage of the
      > wicked. They cause the naked to lodge without clothing, that they
      > have no covering in the cold. They are wet with the showers of the
      > mountains, and embrace the rock for want of a shelter. They pluck
      the
      > fatherless from the breast, and take a pledge of the poor. They
      cause
      > him to go naked without clothing, and they take away the sheaf from
      > the hungry; Which make oil within their walls, and tread their
      > winepresses, and suffer thirst. Men groan from out of the city, and
      > the soul of the wounded crieth out: yet God layeth not folly to
      them.
      > THEY ARE OF THOSE THAT REVEL AGAINST THE LIGHT; THEY KNOW NOT THE
      > WAYS THEREOF, NOR ABIDE IN THE PATHS THEREOF."
      >
      > "Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set." --
      > Prov. 22:28
      >
      > "Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old
      > time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the
      > land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it." -- Deut.
      19:14

      > "Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the
      > people shall say, Amen. " -- Deut. 27:17
      >
      > 2. Do Christians not have the Spirit, which enables us to know the
      > Bible, the alone infallible rule of faith? If Christians have the
      > Spirit the infallible Guide to all Truth, can we not infallibily
      know
      > the Truth from Scripture by the Spirit as you are insinuating?
      >
      > "Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed
      > us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the
      > Spirit in our hearts." 2.Cor.1:21-22
      >
      > "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth,
      the
      > gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye
      > were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest
      of
      > our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession,
      > unto the praise of his glory." Eph. 1:13-14
      >
      > "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you
      > into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever
      he
      > shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to
      come.
      > He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and SHALL SHEW
      IT