Continuing In The Olde Doctrine

  • alan watkinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      Dear Members

      As I reflect on the recent debate over Preterism a thought I alluded to in one of my posts deserved further attention.  I pointed to the fact that the catch phraze of the reformed preterists of reformed and always reforming should more properly be decieved and fallen.  And why thus we ask?  Well their premise is really the antithesis of our protestant heritage implying they brought in New doctrine to the faith.  Here in in their flawed reasoning they are able to justify bringing in doctrines such as Preterism to our midst, new doctrines that have no foundation in our forefather.  But what really was the attitude of our protestant fathers?  CONTINUE YE IN THE OLDE DOCTRINE!!!  Come on brethren our reformer forefathers were not introducing anything new, they were separating from apostacy and continuing in the faithful doctrine that their own forefathers had handed down century after century from the apostles.

      1 john 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth. 22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. 24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. F1

      Abide in what we have heard from the beggining and run after no new thing!  By abiding in the doctrine of the apostles we are abiding in Christ - we thus will also continue in the father and the son and have been promised eternal life.  Has the word not said I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy?  Does it not say that it is by Grace ye are saved through faith and this is not of yourselves but a gift from God, not of works lest any man boast? Even today brethren there is a remnant chosen by Gace!  Were we all not dead in our sin and aliens from the kingdom before God because of his love and mercy made us alive in Christ?

      And yet dispite this exhotation to continue in what we have heard from the begining there are those who always arise with some new teaching found nowhere in the doctrine the apostles handed down they introduce the doctrines and the traditions of men to seduce us from what we have known.  Preterism is one such tradition - it was not taught or believed by our forfathers at any credible point in history, nor was it taught by the apostles.  We should reject it out right for the error it is and not lend it aproval by our acquiescence.  We have seen the connection of the testimony of the early fathers concerning antichrist and the testimony of the brethren throughout the ages. To any Christian of spiritual sensabilities Preterism stands refuted, nay condemned for the heresy it is for protecting and hiding the arch enemy of our faith antichrist.

      Ye have an unction from the Holy One!

      Regards

      crany