Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Links on the true and biblical doctrine of the L...

  • Anglicananswer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2004
      Has anyone read Turretin, when after defending presbyterian church govt, with his kind words towards those Reformed brethern that have episcopacy?

      Paul
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Anglicananswer@a...
        wrote:
        > Has anyone read Turretin, when after defending presbyterian church
        govt, with
        > his kind words towards those Reformed brethern that have episcopacy?

        Yes, and as I've pointed out, the framers of the Westminster Standards
        also held those "wise and pious ancestors" in high regard, though more
        Reformation was necessary:

        http://tinyurl.com/35g3k

        The position of the Covenanters is that once that Reformation was
        attained in the area of church government and worship, it was then
        (and now is) great sin to put our necks back under those things which
        were shaken off.

        http://tinyurl.com/2b4dh

        "...[T]here is a vast difference to be put betwixt a time wherein the
        church is advancing in a course of reformation, and a time wherein she
        is declining and sliding back from that degree of reformation unto
        which she had already attained. In a time wherein the church is but
        coming out of darkness, and the day is but beginning to break up, many
        things may then be comported with and tolerated which may not be
        submitted unto after the church hath got all these abuses reformed.
        Every believer and every church is bound to stand fast in that which
        they have attained unto, and not to cede in a hoof: so that Christians
        living in a time wherein the church is but beginning to wrestle up
        from under the heap of error and corruption, may be allowed to do many
        things which must not be done when the noontide of the day is come. In
        the time of the reformation begun by Luther and others, many things
        might have been comported within the church (reformation being a
        gradual motion that hath but small beginnings and risings) which now,
        since the reformation hath been carried on, through the blessing of
        God, to that degree it was advanced to, cannot be allowed. When God
        hath wonderfully, by his mighty power and outstretched arm, brought a
        church to a great length in reformation, it will be the duty of that
        church, and of the members thereof, to adhere to that degree unto
        which they have attained with all perseverance. It will be lawful for
        the church which is but coming up the hill to stand at such a step
        until they gain another, when yet it will not be lawful for the same
        church to go backward after they have advanced. The truth once bought
        should never be sold." -- John Brown of Wamphray, Apologetical
        Relation, 1660.

        I therefore join my Reformed forefathers in thanking God for men like
        Cranmer, Latimer, and others of their ilk, who did much to bring the
        Church out of darkness in their land. But I also join my Reformed
        forefathers in lamenting the imposition of Prelacy where it has
        formerly been removed, and replaced with the Biblical form of Church
        Government -- Presbyterianism.

        Do you understand my doing both, Paul?