4th of July festivities

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
      Seeing as Independence day falls on a Sunday this year, most of the
      towns, communities, and even the big city (Salt Lake) around us are
      having fireworks and celebrations mainly on Saturday and/or Monday.
      I'm pleased that my family and I can take part in these and also keep
      the Lord's day. I'm curious as to whether this is a national trend.
      How is most of the country treating the Sunday/4th of July dilemma?
      Are your towns and communities having fireworks on Sunday?

      Riley
    • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
        Who cares! On the Lord's Day, Presbyterians will be celebrating
        their freedom from sin and reconciliation with Christ, as we do
        every Lord's Day, the entire day long with the festivities that are
        to go on during the Lord's Day. As for a national trend, well
        again, who cares!?! God forbid that the last bastion of the true
        reformed faith (the Covenanters) should engage in such celebrations,
        most especially on the Lord's Day! The Lord's Day is to be spent on
        activities towards our Lord and those activities, which are lawful
        on other days, are to be avoided. Re-read the Directory for the
        Public Worship of God and if you belong to a back-slidden neo-
        Presbyterian church, well you won't recognize te Directory, so read
        the Catechisms on the topic of the Lord's Day.

        Peace out,

        Edgar

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          If you would read his post carefully before firing against him, you
          might see that he did express interest is in keeping the Lord's Day.

          Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
          > Who cares! On the Lord's Day, Presbyterians will be celebrating
          > their freedom from sin and reconciliation with Christ, as we do
          > every Lord's Day, the entire day long with the festivities that are
          > to go on during the Lord's Day. As for a national trend, well
          > again, who cares!?! God forbid that the last bastion of the true
          > reformed faith (the Covenanters) should engage in such celebrations,
          > most especially on the Lord's Day! The Lord's Day is to be spent on
          > activities towards our Lord and those activities, which are lawful
          > on other days, are to be avoided. Re-read the Directory for the
          > Public Worship of God and if you belong to a back-slidden neo-
          > Presbyterian church, well you won't recognize te Directory, so read
          > the Catechisms on the topic of the Lord's Day.
          >
          > Peace out,
          >
          > Edgar
          >

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
          > <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
          > > Seeing as Independence day falls on a Sunday this year, most of
          > the
          > > towns, communities, and even the big city (Salt Lake) around us
          > are
          > > having fireworks and celebrations mainly on Saturday and/or
          > Monday.
          > > I'm pleased that my family and I can take part in these and also
          > keep
          > > the Lord's day. I'm curious as to whether this is a national
          > trend.
          > > How is most of the country treating the Sunday/4th of July
          > dilemma?
          > > Are your towns and communities having fireworks on Sunday?
          > >
          > > Riley
        • Dan Fraas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
            Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
            > Who cares! On the Lord's Day, Presbyterians will be celebrating
            > their freedom from sin and reconciliation with Christ, as we do
            > every Lord's Day, the entire day long with the festivities that are
            > to go on during the Lord's Day. As for a national trend, well
            > again, who cares!?! God forbid that the last bastion of the true
            > reformed faith (the Covenanters) should engage in such
            celebrations,
            > most especially on the Lord's Day! The Lord's Day is to be spent
            on
            > activities towards our Lord and those activities, which are lawful
            > on other days, are to be avoided. Re-read the Directory for the
            > Public Worship of God and if you belong to a back-slidden neo-
            > Presbyterian church, well you won't recognize te Directory, so read
            > the Catechisms on the topic of the Lord's Day.

            Brother Edgar,

            I have a hunch that you'd consider my church a "back-slidden", neo-
            presbyterian church. She's still the church of Christ, and she's
            getting better over time. I apologize for the lack of clarity in my
            post. After I posted it I regretted phrasing the 4th/Sabbath
            intersection as a "dilemma." I really just meant to say that the two
            conflict this year. I don't have a problem with civic celebrations,
            but the Lord's Day trumps such in any case. I was interested to hear
            whether the communities around you are celebrating on Sunday, or some
            other day like ours is. And yes, I have a copy of the Directory
            which I reference now and then.

            Blessings in Christ,

            Riley

            > Peace out,
            >
            > Edgar
            >

            > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
            > <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
            > > Seeing as Independence day falls on a Sunday this year, most of
            > the
            > > towns, communities, and even the big city (Salt Lake) around us
            > are
            > > having fireworks and celebrations mainly on Saturday and/or
            > Monday.
            > > I'm pleased that my family and I can take part in these and also
            > keep
            > > the Lord's day. I'm curious as to whether this is a national
            > trend.
            > > How is most of the country treating the Sunday/4th of July
            > dilemma?
            > > Are your towns and communities having fireworks on Sunday?
            > >
            > > Riley
          • RfmdPres
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
              Riley,

              I understood what you meant in your post. Our local town doesn't have
              it's own fireworks display, but I looked in our little weekly shopper
              paper and saw that one of the neighboring towns was having it on
              Saturday, so that's good.
              We'll be having our own mini display on our back driveway. Our older
              children go overboard, and this year is no exception. Our oldest son
              (15) has already spent at least $65 (I told him that was too much money
              but he said he spent $100+ last year) on "fireworks" and we usually end
              up with a bunch of neighbors in our yard on lawn chairs watching our
              children's display. :-)
              When Vince and I were first married we lived in the Chicago area (where
              he is from) for about six years. A couple years we went downtown to
              watch the fireworks, which were very nice, but also
              crowded--approximately a million people!
              We lived in a neighborhood a mile out of the city, which was basically a
              mix of Italians, Spanish (from all parts) and Romanians. The Italians
              had real fireworks like what you'd see at a regular village/town display
              and they'd shoot them off in their yards. We used to sit out in lawn
              chairs, oohing and aahing and turning our chairs from time to time to
              see who had the best ones, until we finally realized it was rather
              dangerous and then we watched from inside our apartment.

              Jeannine

              wife to Vince and mom to five boys and a girl
            • Dan Fraas
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
                --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, RfmdPres <vpg@e...>
                wrote:
                > Riley,
                >
                > I understood what you meant in your post. Our local town doesn't
                have
                > it's own fireworks display, but I looked in our little weekly
                shopper
                > paper and saw that one of the neighboring towns was having it on
                > Saturday, so that's good.

                That is good. Where do you live?

                > We'll be having our own mini display on our back driveway. Our
                older
                > children go overboard, and this year is no exception. Our oldest
                son
                > (15) has already spent at least $65 (I told him that was too much
                money
                > but he said he spent $100+ last year) on "fireworks" and we usually
                end
                > up with a bunch of neighbors in our yard on lawn chairs watching
                our
                > children's display. :-)

                Here we can only have ground-fireworks. Anything that shoots is
                illegal. The cops patrol the border with Wyoming to catch people who
                go there to buy fireworks.

                > When Vince and I were first married we lived in the Chicago area
                (where
                > he is from) for about six years. A couple years we went downtown
                > watch the fireworks, which were very nice, but also
                > crowded--approximately a million people!
                > We lived in a neighborhood a mile out of the city, which was
                basically a
                > mix of Italians, Spanish (from all parts) and Romanians. The
                Italians
                > had real fireworks like what you'd see at a regular village/town
                display
                > and they'd shoot them off in their yards. We used to sit out in
                lawn
                > chairs, oohing and aahing and turning our chairs from time to time
                > see who had the best ones, until we finally realized it was rather
                > dangerous and then we watched from inside our apartment.

                That's an interesting story. I know some Air Force Security Forces.
                One fella told me about another SF troop who was riding in a patrol
                car in Compton, Los Angeles for some kind of exchange program. It
                was 31 December, and just before midnight they pulled underneath an
                overpass. The AF fella wondered why, until the clock struck midnight
                and he heard the largest barrage of small arms gunfire he'd ever
                heard coming from all over town! Talk about dangerous celebrations!

                Blessings in Christ,

                Riley

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004

                  Dan Fraas wrote:
                  That is good.  Where do you live?
                  In Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.  There are still stores and restaurants in our area that close on the Lord's Day, so that's good.

                  Here we can only have ground-fireworks.  Anything that shoots is
                  illegal.  The cops patrol the border with Wyoming to catch people who
                  go there to buy fireworks.

                  I think that's all we can have here, but if you spend a bit of money (I wouldn't, but my older children have jobs and use their own money) you can get some really nice ones.

                  That's an interesting story.  I know some Air Force Security Forces.
                  One fella told me about another SF troop who was riding in a patrol
                  car in Compton, Los Angeles for some kind of exchange program.  It
                  was 31 December, and just before midnight they pulled underneath an
                  overpass.  The AF fella wondered why, until the clock struck midnight
                  and he heard the largest barrage of small arms gunfire he'd ever
                  heard coming from all over town!  Talk about dangerous celebrations!

                  Depending on where you are in Chicagoland, they have the same thing.  I'll never forget our first New Year's Eve in Melrose Park.  Vince and I had gone to bed already since we got up early for church, but we were awakened by gunfire.  We looked out our window and saw people darting out in alleys firing guns up in the air.  Vince said we better move away from the window just in case, and we did.  The following year we had new neighbors downstairs (we lived in a two-flat and had the upstairs apt.) and we were laughing thinking how surprised they'd be.  Were we ever surprised when we looked out the window at midnight and saw our obviously drunk neighbor come staggering out leaning on his brother and carrying a BIG gun which he then proceeded to start shooting.  Needless to say, we got away from the window in a hurry.
                  Back to the 4th of July:  one year there weren't any local fireworks.  It was the year Joey "Bag a donuts" was busted by the ATF guys.  It made the front pages of our local paper.  He was a small-time celebrity since he was on a television commercial doing a little dance advertising for a radio station.
                  Also in our village there was a feast every year.   We didn't realize the significance at the time (that it was a papist religious festival), but would go for the food and the rides.  The local mob bosses would be there with their bodyguards, who always made sure everyone could see their shoulder harnesses.  It's really a different world there.  Lancaster County is VERY tame in comparison.  :-)

                  Jeannine