Spiritual gifts.

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2004
      Hi, how are you all doing? I overheard the disscussion on the gifts
      of the Spirit and thought I might offer some help by presenting the
      fundamental basis for the reformed position.

      Basically, the non-cessationist position is incompadible with the
      doctrine of a closed cannon of Scripture. This is because biblical
      prophesy is by its very nature inspired. And tongues (or languages)
      should be translated into the common language (I Corinthians 14) so
      it also has to be veiwed as inspired prophesy as well. This priniple
      applies to the miraculous works as well since they are designed not
      as ends in themselves but to bear witness to the authority of the
      apostles, prophets and ultimately Christ (II Corinthians 12: 11 & 12).

      The very inquiry of a Biblical basis for cessationism proves the very
      point because that question assumes that the only basis WOULD BE in
      scripture and if that is true then there wouldn't be any extra-
      biblical revelation. The very existance of a complete scripture is
      the scriptural proof as Paul implies in first Corinthians 13, "when
      the perfect is come then that which is in part shall be done away."
      And that is in the context of, among other things, prophecy.

      This doesn't preclude the fact that God might, at times, do things
      like this for furthurance of his truth, as in the case of Knox. But
      it isn't normative and shouldn't be expected since our focus now is
      on scripture alone whereas in Bible times it was normative and was to
      be expected since they didn't have a complete revelation yet. I hope
      this is helpful for you. God bless.

      In Christ,
      Daniel (puritan20002000)