Prayer

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
      While I don't know his heart, I happened to catch today that the
      South Korean man who is being held captive and currently threatened
      with death in the middle east was described in the secular media as
      being an "evangelical Christian." From what they have shown across
      the media, it seems clear that he is really having troubles coming to
      grips with what is going on and dealing with what looks like he is
      ultimately going to be facing sometime in the next few hours, barring
      some sudden clue or informant betraying the whereabouts of where he
      is being held. As a professing Christian, while we may not be sure of
      the sincerity of heart and mind, I think we have some surety that he
      has some background in the Scriptures and may pray to God that He
      might use that to draw this man close to Himself at this time, that
      he may come to embrace Christ if he has not done so in true faith,
      and that if he has done so, the Lord might comfort him in what seems
      to be clearly evident anguish, might help him to prepare his heart
      for what appears likely to be his soon fate, and that perhaps he may
      ease his sufferings when the threatened deed is being accomplished,
      assuming those responsible are not first discovered.
      (Ps. 9)
      9 God also will a refuge be
      for those that are oppressed;
      A refuge will he be in times
      of trouble to distressed.
      10 And they that know thy name, in thee
      their confidence will place:
      For thou hast not forsaken them
      that truly seek thy face.
      11 O sing ye praises to the Lord,
      that dwells in Zion hill;
      And all the nations among
      his deeds record ye still.
      12 When he enquireth after blood,
      he then rememb'reth them:
      The humble folk he not forgets
      that call upon his name.
      13 Lord, pity me; behold the grief
      which I from foes sustain;
      Ev'n thou, who from the gates of death
      dost raise me up again;
      14 That I, in Zion's daughters' gates,
      may all thy praise advance;
      And that I may rejoice always
      in thy deliverance.

      (Ps. 86)
      14 O God, the proud against me rise,
      and vi'lent men have met,
      That for my soul have sought; and thee
      before them have not set.
      15 But thou art full of pity, Lord,
      a God most gracious,
      Long-suffering, and in thy truth
      and mercy plenteous.
      16 O turn to me thy countenance,
      and mercy on me have;
      Thy servant strengthen, and the son
      of thine own handmaid save.
      17 Show me a sign for good, that they
      which do me hate may see,
      And be ashamed; because thou, Lord,
      didst help and comfort me.

      (Ps. 83)
      5 For with joint heart they plot, in league
      against thee they combine.
      6 The tents of Edom, Ishm'elites,
      Moab's and Hagar's line;
      7 Gebal, and Ammon, Amalek,
      Philistines, those of Tyre;
      8 And Assur join'd with them, to help
      Lot's children they conspire...

      14 As fire consumes the wood, as flame
      doth mountains set on fire,
      15 Chase and affright them with the storm
      and tempest of thine ire.
      16 Their faces fill with shame, O Lord,
      that they may seek thy name.
      17 Let them confounded be, and vexed,
      and perish in their shame:
      18 That men may know that thou, to whom
      alone doth appertain
      The name Jehovah, dost most high
      o'er all the earth remain.

      (Ps. 84)
      12 O thou that art the Lord of hosts,
      that man is truly blest,
      Who by assured confidence
      on thee alone doth rest.

      2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as
      it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also
      believe, and therefore speak; 14 Knowing that he which raised up the
      Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with
      you. 15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace
      might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
      16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish,
      yet the inward man is renewed day by day. 17 For our light
      affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more
      exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 18 While we look not at the
      things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the
      things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen
      are eternal.

      "But, most strange to say, many who boast of being Christians,
      instead of thus longing for death, are so afraid of it that they
      tremble at the very mention of it as a thing ominous and dreadful. We
      cannot wonder, indeed, that our natural feelings should be somewhat
      shocked at the mention of our dissolution. But it is altogether
      intolerable that the light of piety should not be so powerful in a
      Christian breast as with greater consolation to overcome and suppress
      that fear. For if we reflect that this our tabernacle, unstable,
      defective, corruptible, fading, pining, and putrid, is dissolved, in
      order that it may forthwith be renewed in sure, perfect,
      incorruptible, in fine, in heavenly glory, will not faith compel us
      eagerly to desire what nature dreads? If we reflect that by death we
      are recalled from exile to inhabit our native country, a heavenly
      country, shall this give us no comfort? But everything longs for
      permanent existence. I admit this, and therefore contend that we
      ought to look to future immortality, where we may obtain that fixed
      condition which nowhere appears on the earth. For Paul admirably
      enjoins believers to hasten cheerfully to death, not because they a
      would be unclothed, but clothed upon," (2 Cor. 5: 2.)... My advice to
      those whose minds are thus timid is to read the short treatise of
      Cyprian De Mortalitate http://tinyurl.com/3g9jo , unless it be more
      accordant with their deserts to send them to the philosophers, that
      by inspecting what they say on the contempt of death, they may begin
      to blush. This, however let us hold as fixed, that no man has made
      much progress in the school of Christ who does not look forward with
      joy to the day of death and final resurrection, (2 Tim. 4: 18; Tit.
      2: 13:) for Paul distinguishes all believers by this mark; and the
      usual course of Scripture is to direct us thither whenever it would
      furnish us with an argument for substantial joy. "Look up," says our
      Lord, "and lift up your heads: for your redemption draweth nigh,"
      (Luke 21: 28.) Is it reasonable, I ask, that what he intended to have
      a powerful effect in stirring us up to alacrity and exultation should
      produce nothing but sadness and consternation? If it is so, why do we
      still glory in him as our Master? Therefore, let us come to a sounder
      mind, and how repugnant so ever the blind and stupid longing of the
      flesh may be, let us doubt not to desire the advent of the Lord not
      in wish only, but with earnest sighs, as the most propitious of all
      events. He will come as a Redeemer to deliver us from an immense
      abyss of evil and misery, and lead us to the blessed inheritance of
      his life and glory. Thus, indeed, it is; the whole body of the
      faithful, so long as they live on the earth, must be like sheep for
      the slaughter, in order that they may be conformed to Christ their
      head, (Rom. 8: 36.) Most deplorable, therefore, would their situation
      be did they not, by raising their mind to heaven, become superior to
      all that is in the world, and rise above the present aspect of
      affairs, (1 Cor. 15: l9.)
      On the other hand, when once they have raised their head above all
      earthly objects, though they see the wicked flourishing in wealth and
      honor, and enjoying profound peace, indulging in luxury and splendor,
      and reveling in all kinds of delights, though they should moreover be
      wickedly assailed by them, suffer insult from their pride, be robbed
      by their avarice, or assailed by any other passion, they will have no
      difficulty in bearing up under these evils. They will turn their eye
      to that day, (Isaiah 25: 8; Rev. 7:17,) on which the Lord will
      receive his faithful servants, wipe away all tears from their eyes,
      clothe them in a robe of glory and joy, feed them with the ineffable
      sweetness of his pleasures, exalt them to share with him in his
      greatness; in fine, admit them to a participation in his happiness.
      But the wicked who may have flourished on the earth, he will cast
      forth in extreme ignominy, will change their delights into torments,
      their laughter and joy into wailing and gnashing of teeth, their
      peace into the gnawing of conscience, and punish their luxury with
      unquenchable fire. He will also place their necks under the feet of
      the godly, whose patience they abused. For, as Paul declares, "it is
      a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that
      trouble you; and to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord
      Jesus shall be revealed from heaven," (2 Thess. 1: 6, 7.) This,
      indeed, is our only consolation; deprived of it, we must either give
      way to despondency, or resort to our destruction to the vain solace
      of the world. The Psalmist confesses, "My feet were almost gone: my
      steps had well nigh slipt: for I was envious at the foolish when I
      saw the prosperity of the wicked," (Psalm 73: 3, 4;) and he found no
      resting place until he entered the sanctuary, and considered the
      latter end of the righteous and the wicked. To conclude in one word,
      the cross of Christ then only triumphs in the breasts of believers
      over the devil and the flesh, sin and sinners, when their eyes are
      directed to the power of his resurrection."
      (Calvin's Institutes)
    • Chad W
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
        I haven't participated in this group, but just receive the messages.  I need prayer for a situation.  Since summer, I have forgotten my desire to honor God for my own wants, and tonight I confessed to God and my roommate I need strength.  I am in a sitution that could get crazy, yet I still need to abandon it for the sake of God.  I ask for your prayers for strength, and God's grace.

        Thank you,
        Chad.
      • Whit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2006
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Chad W
          <chadaw@g...> wrote:

          > I haven't participated in this group, but just receive the
          messages. I need
          > prayer for a situation. Since summer, I have forgotten my desire
          to honor
          > God for my own wants, and tonight I confessed to God and my
          roommate I need
          > strength. I am in a sitution that could get crazy, yet I still
          need to
          > abandon it for the sake of God. I ask for your prayers for
          strength, and
          > God's grace.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Chad.

          I'll keep you in my prayers.

          FCC&C,
          Whit
        • Chad W
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2006
            Thanks for the prayers.
            Chad.

            <chadaw@g...> wrote:

            > I haven't participated in this group, but just receive the
            messages.  I need
            > prayer for a situation.  Since summer, I have forgotten my desire
            to honor
            > God for my own wants, and tonight I confessed to God and my
            roommate I need
            > strength.  I am in a sitution that could get crazy, yet I still
            need to
            > abandon it for the sake of God.  I ask for your prayers for
            strength, and
            > God's grace.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Chad.