exposition of the tabernacle

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
      Hey bros and sis',

      I have a close family member who is unfortunately leading an house-
      church/bible study on Sunday nights. He told me they are going
      through the lay-out of the tabernacle and making New Covenant
      interpretations of the various objects and articles(: the burnt
      offering, the laver, the shewbread, inscense, holy of holies, etc).
      When he gave a brief explanation of the various stations, it was
      clear that he applied most of them to human works or efforts. It was
      along the lines of, "The laver represents us cleansing ourselves from
      the world, the holy of holies represents our sanctifying of ourselves
      to enter God's presence, etc."

      I was wondering if someone might know of a sound redemptive
      expository interpretatation of the tabernacle or one or more of the
      specific objects in the tabernacle. I thought something may have
      been written by a puritan or two. Does anyone have any link to a
      treatise or something I could forward to this close relative which
      explains how these objects and ceremonies represented Christ?

      Thanks,

      Riley
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
        For all who might be interested, I found this short but excellent
        exposition by 18th-19th-century Anlican curate Charles Simeon:

        http://www.mountzion.org/fgb/Summer02/FgbS2-02.html

        Blessings in Christ,

        Riley
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
        <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
        > Hey bros and sis',
        >
        > I have a close family member who is unfortunately leading an house-
        > church/bible study on Sunday nights. He told me they are going
        > through the lay-out of the tabernacle and making New Covenant
        > interpretations of the various objects and articles(: the burnt
        > offering, the laver, the shewbread, inscense, holy of holies,
        etc).
        > When he gave a brief explanation of the various stations, it was
        > clear that he applied most of them to human works or efforts. It
        was
        > along the lines of, "The laver represents us cleansing ourselves
        from
        > the world, the holy of holies represents our sanctifying of
        ourselves
        > to enter God's presence, etc."
        >
        > I was wondering if someone might know of a sound redemptive
        > expository interpretatation of the tabernacle or one or more of the
        > specific objects in the tabernacle. I thought something may have
        > been written by a puritan or two. Does anyone have any link to a
        > treatise or something I could forward to this close relative which
        > explains how these objects and ceremonies represented Christ?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Riley
      • A Mighty Fortress

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
            There is a collection of sermons by Edward Taylor that have been
            collected into a two volume set, entitled, "Upon the Types of the Old
            Testament," and much of it deals with the Tabernacle and the furniture
            thereof. Got mine on Ebay.

            gmw.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, A Mighty Fortress
              <edftepregon@y...> wrote:
              > May be it is a good beginning...
              >
              > http://67.164.135.152/ages/Library/REFERENC/EDE_TMPL.PDF

              Yep, looks like someone put the entire Reformation Library Vol. 1 online!

              http://67.164.135.152/ages/AGES_REF.PDF

              gmw.
            • Cannon
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2004
                While I don't have either of these in front of me,
                there are two studies on the Tabernacle that come to
                mind.
                One is a workbook from the "Following God Series" that
                Wayne Barber helped write. It is titled "Lessons on
                Worship from the Tabernacle" or some such title close
                to that.
                The other is published by P&R and is in the Christ in
                the OT series.

                If you can't locate them by a nexus search or browsing
                a catalog I will retreave them from my office and give
                you more detail.
                Blessings,
                Michael Cannon
                www.firstpresbyterianofpooler.com