Huge shake ups within the Presbyterian & Reformed community

  • Edgar Ibarra
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
      Brethren,

          I write this to all of you as I am sure you will be interested and in some way it will affect us, however minute that may be.

         I just received the latest edition of the "Presbyterian & Reformed News" edited by Robert Shapiro & Frank J. Smith, both part of the original founders of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).   This edition is overloaded!

      1.  The Reformed Church of the United States (RCUS) in their 258th Synod of this year ruled (without dissent) that the doctrine of Justification by Faith Alone as taught by Norman Shepard to be "Another Gospel" and that they "admonish and call upon him to repent of his grevious errors"..."That the Reformed Church in the US recognize these Romish, Arminian, and Socinian errors for what they are, and urge our brethren throughout the world to reject them and refuse those who hold them."  They stop short of calling him a heretic (at least the newspaper does not mention it, if they did).  They go on to cite how the OPC has been the denomination that has mostly imbibed this doctrine and are now setting their sights on N. T. Wright and what has become known as the "Federal Vision" of the Auburn Avenue perspective.  They have mandated a committe to study these "new" doctrines and to make an official ruling.

      2.  I think this is a bigger surprise...FRANK J. SMITH has left the PCA!!!  One of the original founders of the PCA!  He has joined with the Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church that is in Sheboygan, WI which congregation is engaged in merger talks "with two other groups, including the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Hanover Presbytery."  Mr. Smith has been examined and approved by the Hanover Presbytery.

      3.  Robert Shapiro wrote an articule entitled "Whither the PCA?".  In it he sums up the corruption in the PCA:

         "In short, the PCA, in our view, is theologically, structurally, liturgically, judicially, and politically corrupt.  These are the issues which we have tried to raise over the past nine years in the columns of this publication."

         This edition has chaulk full of info and examples of how NOT to conduct Presbyterial gov't by citing what the PCA has done.  They also expose Doug Wilson and his "lying, obstruction of Justice, and misusing benevolence funds".  6.5 pages worth!

      4.  This is the final edition of the "Presbyterian & Reformed News" paper.  With Mr. Smith's departure and other reasons cited in the paper they will no longer publish.  They write in the paper that the PCA is about a generation or two away from becoming what she tried to escape from,  -- a liberal church.

         I will bring the paper to the event we are having in Albany this Saturday so that those who are present may  read it for themselves.  I find this paper very informative and practical for us all.

      May we continue to pray for the untiy of Christ' s Church, a unity not based on expediancy and latitudinarianism, but on the Truth as expressed in the Word of God and formulated in the Covenants and our Church Standards!

      Yours in Christ,

      Edgar

      www.albanycrpc.org                        www.ecn.ab.ca/prce

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Ibarra
        <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
        > Brethren,
        >
        > I write this to all of you as I am sure you will be interested
        and in some way it will affect us, however minute that may be.

        > I just received the latest edition of the "Presbyterian &
        Reformed News" edited by Robert Shapiro & Frank J. Smith, both part
        of the original founders of the Presbyterian Church in America
        (PCA). This edition is overloaded!

        > 1. The Reformed Church of the United States (RCUS) in their 258th
        Synod of this year ruled (without dissent) that the doctrine of
        Justification by Faith Alone as taught by Norman Shepard to
        be "Another Gospel" and that they "admonish and call upon him to
        repent of his grevious errors"..."That the Reformed Church in the US
        recognize these Romish, Arminian, and Socinian errors for what they
        are, and urge our brethren throughout the world to reject them and
        refuse those who hold them." They stop short of calling him a
        heretic (at least the newspaper does not mention it, if they did).
        They go on to cite how the OPC has been the denomination that has
        mostly imbibed this doctrine and are now setting their sights on N.
        T. Wright and what has become known as the "Federal Vision" of the
        Auburn Avenue perspective. They have mandated a committe to study
        these "new" doctrines and to make an official ruling.

        Yes, and I was glad to see this from the RCUS. My church, the OPC,
        also made a statement affirming the confessional doctrine of
        justification at the ongoing G. A. She appointed a commitee to study
        the "New Perspectives on Paul" and "Federal Vision", which will
        report back at the next G. A. Don't forget that Shephard left the
        OPC for a more liberal church because he couldn't stand the heat.
        Doubtless he would be convicted today if he were still in the OPC.

        God bless,

        Riley