Archaeology

  • adamboone75
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      I was wondering if anyone on this list has any serious knowledge or
      could recomend where to go or what to read to combat the arguments of
      biblical minimalists and other archaeologists and schools that seem
      bent on disproving the Bible. Because all the "scholars" these days
      are so liberal(or so it seems) I am wary of just picking up books on
      archaeology and reading...the book that I have come across so far
      that takes on the minimalists is a book by William Dever
      entitled "What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know
      It?." However, I have read that Dever is a self described
      atheist/agnostic. Anyway...no matter where I look in this field it
      seems like everyone is so liberal (example: they all pretty much
      reject the mosaic authorship of the pentateuch). Are there any
      Reformed archaeologists?
      Adam Boone
      Grand Rapids, MI
    • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        hello Adam!

        I think www.answersingenesis.org may be a good start. They
        believe in a literal 24-hr creation week & etc. Also there is a
        magazine called "Biblical Archeology"...but I do not know much more
        about them...Do you have the set called the "International Standard
        Bible Encyclopedia" that has excellent archelogical entries.

        A small start I guess...

        Talk to you later!

        Edgar
        www.albanycrpc.org

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "adamboone75"
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
          Sadly, I am unaware of any distinctly Reformed works on Biblical
          Archaeology. But one book that to me holds up pretty well, and is
          reasonably conservative as far as it takes the Biblical accounts
          seriously, is "Archaeology and Bible History" by Joseph P. Free
          (revised and expanded by Howard F. Vos). It cites Calvin's
          commentaries favorably, rejects the JEPD theory, and the author
          writes, "I can see no valid reason for denying the Mosaic authorship
          of the Pentateuch...."(pg. 22).

          I recommed it.

          gmw.

          <offskooring@h...> wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone on this list has any serious knowledge or
          > could recomend where to go or what to read to combat the arguments of
          > biblical minimalists and other archaeologists and schools that seem
          > bent on disproving the Bible. Because all the "scholars" these days
          > are so liberal(or so it seems) I am wary of just picking up books on
          > archaeology and reading...the book that I have come across so far
          > that takes on the minimalists is a book by William Dever
          > entitled "What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know
          > It?." However, I have read that Dever is a self described
          > atheist/agnostic. Anyway...no matter where I look in this field it
          > seems like everyone is so liberal (example: they all pretty much
          > reject the mosaic authorship of the pentateuch). Are there any
          > Reformed archaeologists?
          > Adam Boone
          > Grand Rapids, MI
        • Trevor Maze
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
            Adam,

            I'm not aware of any specifically reformed archaeologists. While not
            agreeing with Jim Jordan on many things, his "Biblical Chronology"
            newsletter available on the ICE site is very useful:
            http://www.freebooks.com/docs/_newsbc.htm

            I have found the work of some unbelieving secular Jews to be worth
            looking at. While rejecting the God of Scripture, many of them
            nevertheless regard Scripture as an accurate and contemporary record
            of ancient history. We wouldn't agree with all their positions, but
            we can make use of their insights and their rewriting of chronology
            to make the egyptian histories conform to Scripture, rather than the
            other way round. Just remember their presuppositions and you'll
            manage okay. Two names that spring to mind here are David Rohl and
            the much vilified Immanuel Velikovsky. It is worth looking up a lot
            of the catastrophist/revisionist sites - start with the Society for
            Interdisciplinary Studies: http://www.knowledge.co.uk/sis/

            Trevor Maze