Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Australia Paying Citizens to Procreate

  • johnnieburgessjr
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2004
      Italy and a lot of european countries are having the same problem.

      <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
      > I've been considering moving to Australia. Besides this source of
      income, I heard Australian residents also get an annual diamond
      dividend.

      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 7:21 AM
      > Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Australia Paying Citizens to
      Procreate

      > Maybe our church could make a similar offer...if you can't beat
      the opposition, outnumber them!

      > CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Facing a falling birth rate, the
      Australian government has a simple message: Go forth and multiply.
      It's prepared to pay new parents who take up the call.

      > "Come on, come on, your nation needs you," Prime Minister John
      Howard said Wednesday, when asked about a one-time $3,000 Australian
      ($2,100 U.S.) payment for all new mothers announced by Treasurer
      Peter Costello in the annual budget.

      > On Tuesday night, a smiling Costello urged reporters in
      Canberra: "You go home and do your patriotic duty tonight."

      > The father of three suggested that two children per couple
      wasn't quite enough to combat the effects of an aging population and
      declining birth rate in this sparsely populated nation of 20
      million.

      > "If you can have children, it's a good thing to do. You should
      have ... one for your husband, one for your wife, and one for your
      country," Costello said.

      > Yahoo! Movies - Buy advance tickets for 'Shrek 2'
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      of Service.

      > ---
    • Dan Fraas
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18, 2004
        Italy? Wow, that's a surprise. I'd expect that of the northern
        secular Europeans but never of the Romish Catholic Italians!

        Riley
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, johnnieburgessjr

      • johnnieburgessjr
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2004
          Pope got onto them about that.

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
          <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
          > Italy? Wow, that's a surprise. I'd expect that of the northern
          > secular Europeans but never of the Romish Catholic Italians!
          >
          > Riley
          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, johnnieburgessjr
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Italy and a lot of european countries are having the same
          problem.

          > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
          > > <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
          > > > I've been considering moving to Australia. Besides this
          source
          > of
          > > income, I heard Australian residents also get an annual diamond
          > > dividend.
          > > >
          > > > gmw.

          Terms
          > > of Service.
          > > >

          > > > ---
          > that.
          5/12/2004
        • johnnieburgessjr
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2004
            http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
            f=/news/archive/2002/11/14/international0629EST0506.DTL

            Italy has one of the lowest birth rates in the world -- 9.3 births
            per 1,000 inhabitants -- and one of the oldest populations.

            The United Nations has warned that Italy's economic future is at risk
            because its shrinking work force will be unable to support its aging
            population without an influx of migrant workers.

            The pope called the situation "another grave threat that bears upon
            the future of this country, one which is already conditioning its
            life and its capacity for development."

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Pope got onto them about that.
            >

            > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Fraas"
            > <fraasrd@y...> wrote:
            > > Italy? Wow, that's a surprise. I'd expect that of the northern
            > > secular Europeans but never of the Romish Catholic Italians!
            > >
            > > Riley
            > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com,
            johnnieburgessjr
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > Italy and a lot of european countries are having the same
            > problem.
            > > >
            > > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "gmw"
            > source
            > > of
            > > > income, I heard Australian residents also get an annual diamond
            > > > dividend.

          • Dan Fraas
            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2004
              That's number two from the pope for me. It's the best thing he's
              said since he denounced sporting activities on the Lord's Day.

              By the grace of God, (perhaps common grace), there's no shortage of
              pregnant women or newborns in this "vatican" of American-style popery
              called Utah. They're as ubiquitous as youngsters named "Elder" Young
              shopping for diamond rings at the mall.

              Meanwhile little Priscilla is kicking the daylights out of Mrs. Fraas
              (as an insider:)).