A joke?

  • Vincent R. Skolny
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2004
      Dear list,

      The following was in the PRCA Pittsburgh Mission bulletin for May 9,
      as listed on the website, prca.org. It seems, to me, to put into some
      perspective the arbitrary concsious binding of papal holy days.

      "Our Ascension Day service has been changed from May 20th to May 19th
      due to Trinity's band concert. The service will be held at 7:00 PM
      and the collections will go toward the Pittsburgh Local Fund. This is
      a call to worship. All members expected to come and encouraged to
      bring visitors."
    • getsmitty
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2004
        No Joke. It's official:

        Article 67
        The Churches shall observe, in addition to the Sunday, also
        Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, Ascension Day, Pentecost, the Day of
        Prayer, the National Thanksgiving Day, and Old and New Year's Day.

        From the Church Order of the Protestant Reformed Churches

        http://www.prca.org/church_order.html

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent R.
        Skolny" <vskolny@e...> wrote:
        > Dear list,
        >
        > The following was in the PRCA Pittsburgh Mission bulletin for May
        9,
        > as listed on the website, prca.org. It seems, to me, to put into
        some
        > perspective the arbitrary concsious binding of papal holy days.
        >
        > "Our Ascension Day service has been changed from May 20th to May
        19th
        > due to Trinity's band concert. The service will be held at 7:00 PM
        > and the collections will go toward the Pittsburgh Local Fund. This
        is
        > a call to worship. All members expected to come and encouraged to
        > bring visitors."
      • Vincent R. Skolny
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2004
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, getsmitty
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > No Joke. It's official:

          I'm aware of Article 67 of COD. The point at which I'm aiming is that
          in this case an adherent group of that Article is changing the date
          of the observance and *still* issuing a call to worship. Arbitrary.