[Covenanted Reformation] Fwd: Catholicism v Fundamentalism Re: Filthy Rags?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 5:56 AM
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, setfreein1973@a...
      wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/5/2004 5:34:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > setfreein1973@a... writes:
      > Filthy Rags?
      >
      > by Steve Jones
      > The reason why I forward this, because I wanted an answer about
      this article,
      > I debating the Roman Catholics, I need some answers to this.
      >
      > Stan

      Stan,

      Just so you know, I deleted 2 of the 3 times you posted this article,
      as I think 1 time is sufficient. As far as the article goes, what
      about it specifically is the person you are debating requiring you to
      answer? If the guy's going to play "answer this article" with you,
      perhaps you should simply hand him Turretin's Institutes and demand
      that he refute his sections on justification.

      gmw.
    • setfreein1973@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 6:34 AM
        In a message dated 5/5/2004 9:24:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, raging.calvinist@... writes:
        Just so you know, I deleted 2 of the 3 times you posted this article,
        as I think 1 time is sufficient.  As far as the article goes, what
        about it specifically is the person you are debating requiring you to
        answer?  If the guy's going to play "answer this article" with you,
        perhaps you should simply hand him Turretin's Institutes and demand
        that he refute his sections on justification.

        gmw.
        I thoght this did not go through, I am sorry, do you have a link to the Turretin's Institutes on the Web?  Because I do not have at home.

        Stan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 7:17 AM
          wrote:

          > I thoght this did not go through, I am sorry, do you have a link to
          the
          > Turretin's Institutes on the Web? Because I do not have at home.

          That's ok, Stan. Stuff like that happens all the time. No big
          deal. As for Turretin, there are several articles here:
          http://www.apuritansmind.com/FrancisTurretin/francisturretin.htm ,
          the the entirety of the Institutes is not online that I am aware of.

          The comment I made about Turretin was a bit tongue and cheek, but not
          in such a way that it should be completely ignored. I'll explain:

          1. Too many times in "debates" people participate in a game of "who
          can produce the most irrefutable article." But the fact is, just
          because you yourself are not able to answer an article is not
          necessarily an indication that the article is correct. There are
          plenty of lawyers that are able to make a great case for their GUILTY
          client. A person skilled in rhetoric, logic, and sometimes just
          plain "B.S.," can sometime make a man holding the correct position
          look stupid.

          2. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with appealing to men
          like Turretin. God has called men throughout history to be teachers
          of the church, to be watchmen against the heresies which "must needs
          come." Luther, Calvin, Turretin, and others have ably defended the
          doctrine of Justification by Faith Alone, and many other doctrines,
          against the assaults of the Papacy. Use them, read them. I remember
          once I was tempted to open up my copy of the Romanist Catechism and
          embark on a refutation of the doctrines therein. I had it in my
          hand, and almost opened it, but then I was suddenly stirred and
          shaken. I put the book down, and pulled out Turretin and read him.
          Instead of wasting my time reading false doctrine, I was blessed and
          comforted and strengthened in the truth.

          Too many people have been pulled away from the truth by
          entertaining "debates" when they are not called by God thereunto.

          gmw.

          2.
        • deckhoff2001
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 5:22 PM
            <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
            > Instead of wasting my time reading false doctrine, I was blessed
            and comforted and strengthened in the truth.

            > Too many people have been pulled away from the truth by
            > entertaining "debates" when they are not called by God thereunto.

            Dear Christian Friends,

            I am new to the forum. The above words touched me so much but also
            caused some consternation. I am a cradle Roman Catholic. For now just
            let me say I believe God is calling me to (for lack of a better word)
            a different kind of worship. I have looked at eastern orthodox,
            episcopal, baptist, and lutheran worship but every time I feel I may
            have found a home that is pleasing to God the guilt of leaving my
            birth church and the fear of offending God overwhelms me and I cannot
            move. How does one 'know' that they are truly moving toward the truth
            and not actually being pulled away from it...conversion sure isn't
            easy. Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer. I am glad to
            have found you.

            Warm regards,
            "Henry"
            NY
          • J. Parnell McCarter
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6 8:21 PM

              >How does one 'know' that they are truly moving toward the truth…

              God's word, the Bible, is truth. Therefore, to the extent you are consistent with it, you are moving in the right direction.

              You must judge the claims of the various denominations and sects against the word of God.  And pray that God would give you grace to understand His word.

              - Parnell McCarter

              www.puritans.net