Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Fwd: Catholicism v Fundamentalism Re: Filthy Rags?

  • setfreein1973@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2004
      In a message dated 5/5/2004 5:34:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, setfreein1973@... writes:
      Filthy Rags?

      by Steve Jones
      The reason why I forward this, because I wanted an answer about this article, I debating the Roman Catholics, I need some answers to this.

      Stan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2004
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, setfreein1973@a...
        wrote:
        > In a message dated 5/5/2004 5:34:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > setfreein1973@a... writes:
        > Filthy Rags?
        >
        > by Steve Jones
        > The reason why I forward this, because I wanted an answer about
        this article,
        > I debating the Roman Catholics, I need some answers to this.
        >
        > Stan

        Stan,

        Just so you know, I deleted 2 of the 3 times you posted this article,
        as I think 1 time is sufficient. As far as the article goes, what
        about it specifically is the person you are debating requiring you to
        answer? If the guy's going to play "answer this article" with you,
        perhaps you should simply hand him Turretin's Institutes and demand
        that he refute his sections on justification.

        gmw.
      • setfreein1973@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2004
          In a message dated 5/5/2004 9:24:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, raging.calvinist@... writes:
          Just so you know, I deleted 2 of the 3 times you posted this article,
          as I think 1 time is sufficient.  As far as the article goes, what
          about it specifically is the person you are debating requiring you to
          answer?  If the guy's going to play "answer this article" with you,
          perhaps you should simply hand him Turretin's Institutes and demand
          that he refute his sections on justification.

          gmw.
          I thoght this did not go through, I am sorry, do you have a link to the Turretin's Institutes on the Web?  Because I do not have at home.

          Stan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2004
            wrote:

            > I thoght this did not go through, I am sorry, do you have a link to
            the
            > Turretin's Institutes on the Web? Because I do not have at home.

            That's ok, Stan. Stuff like that happens all the time. No big
            deal. As for Turretin, there are several articles here:
            http://www.apuritansmind.com/FrancisTurretin/francisturretin.htm ,
            the the entirety of the Institutes is not online that I am aware of.

            The comment I made about Turretin was a bit tongue and cheek, but not
            in such a way that it should be completely ignored. I'll explain:

            1. Too many times in "debates" people participate in a game of "who
            can produce the most irrefutable article." But the fact is, just
            because you yourself are not able to answer an article is not
            necessarily an indication that the article is correct. There are
            plenty of lawyers that are able to make a great case for their GUILTY
            client. A person skilled in rhetoric, logic, and sometimes just
            plain "B.S.," can sometime make a man holding the correct position
            look stupid.

            2. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with appealing to men
            like Turretin. God has called men throughout history to be teachers
            of the church, to be watchmen against the heresies which "must needs
            come." Luther, Calvin, Turretin, and others have ably defended the
            doctrine of Justification by Faith Alone, and many other doctrines,
            against the assaults of the Papacy. Use them, read them. I remember
            once I was tempted to open up my copy of the Romanist Catechism and
            embark on a refutation of the doctrines therein. I had it in my
            hand, and almost opened it, but then I was suddenly stirred and
            shaken. I put the book down, and pulled out Turretin and read him.
            Instead of wasting my time reading false doctrine, I was blessed and
            comforted and strengthened in the truth.

            Too many people have been pulled away from the truth by
            entertaining "debates" when they are not called by God thereunto.

            gmw.

            2.
          • deckhoff2001
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2004
              <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
              > Instead of wasting my time reading false doctrine, I was blessed
              and comforted and strengthened in the truth.

              > Too many people have been pulled away from the truth by
              > entertaining "debates" when they are not called by God thereunto.

              Dear Christian Friends,

              I am new to the forum. The above words touched me so much but also
              caused some consternation. I am a cradle Roman Catholic. For now just
              let me say I believe God is calling me to (for lack of a better word)
              a different kind of worship. I have looked at eastern orthodox,
              episcopal, baptist, and lutheran worship but every time I feel I may
              have found a home that is pleasing to God the guilt of leaving my
              birth church and the fear of offending God overwhelms me and I cannot
              move. How does one 'know' that they are truly moving toward the truth
              and not actually being pulled away from it...conversion sure isn't
              easy. Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer. I am glad to
              have found you.

              Warm regards,
              "Henry"
              NY
            • J. Parnell McCarter
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2004

                >How does one 'know' that they are truly moving toward the truth…

                God's word, the Bible, is truth. Therefore, to the extent you are consistent with it, you are moving in the right direction.

                You must judge the claims of the various denominations and sects against the word of God.  And pray that God would give you grace to understand His word.

                - Parnell McCarter

                www.puritans.net