Who said it?

  • Vincent R. Skolny
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2004
      "That Romanists as a society profess the true religion, meaning
      thereby the essential doctrines of the gospel, those doctrines which
      if truly believed will save the soul, is, as we think, plain. 1.
      Because they believe the Scriptures to be the word of God. 2. They
      direct that the Scriptures should be understood and received as they
      were understood by the Christian Fathers. 3. They receive the three
      general creeds of the church, the Apostle's, the Nicene, and the
      Athanasian, or as these are summed up in the creed of Pius V. 4. They
      believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth,
      and of all things visible and invisible. In one Lord Jesus Christ,
      the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of his Father before all
      worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten
      not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things
      were made. Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from
      heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and
      was made man. And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate,
      suffered and was buried. And the third day rose again with glory to
      judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.
      And they believe in one catholic apostolic church. They acknowledge
      one baptism for the remission of sins, and look for the resurrection
      of the dead and the life of the world to come... If this creed were
      submitted to any intelligent Christian without his knowing whence it
      came, could he hesitate to say that it was the creed of a Christian
      church? Could he deny that these are the very terms in which for ages
      the general faith of Christendom has been expressed? Could he,
      without renouncing the Bible, say that the sincere belief of these
      doctrines would not secure eternal life? Can any man take it upon
      himself in the sight of God, to assert there is not truth enough in
      the above summary to save the soul?...We admit that Rome has
      grievously apostatized from the faith, the order and the worship of
      the church; that she has introduced a multitude of false doctrines, a
      corrupt and superstitious and even idolatrous worship, and a most
      oppressive and cruel government; but since as a society she still
      retains the profession of saving doctrines, and as in point of fact,
      by those doctrines men are born unto God and nurtured for heaven, we
      dare not deny that she is still a part of the visible church. We
      consider such a denial a direct contradiction of the Bible, and of
      the facts of God's providence. It was within the limits of the church
      the great anti-christian power was to arise; it was in the church the
      man of sin was to exalt himself; and it was over the church he was to
      exercise his baneful and cruel power."
    • thebishopsdoom
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2004
        Charles Hodge