Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter Quiz

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      So you're saying you'll be celebrating Restoration Day by going to
      the dentist to be subjected to torture. I think that's somehow
      strangely appropriate.

      Here's how some Covenanters celebrated the day, but publishing a
      testimony at Rutherglen, May 29th 1679:

      ---
      AS the Lord hath been pleased to keep & preserve His Interest in this
      Land, by the Testimonies of some faithful witnesses from the
      beginning: So in our day, some have not been wanting, who through
      greatest hazards have added their Testimonies to these who have gone
      before them, by suffering death, banishment, torturings,
      forfaultries, Imprisonments, & what not, from a perfidious & cruel
      Adversary to the Church & Kingdome of our Lord Jesus Christ in the
      Land. Therefore, we owning the same Interest of Christ, according to
      the word of the Lord, & the National & solemn League & Covenant,
      Desire to add our Testimony to the Testimonies of the worthies that
      have gone before us (though we be unworthy, yet hoping as true
      members of the Church of Christ in Scotland) And that against all
      things done prejudicial to this Interest, from the beginning of the
      work of Reformation, Especially from the year 1648 to 1660. And more
      Particularly from the said year 1660. & downwards, against the Acts
      following: As, Against the Act of Supremacy; The Declaration, whereby
      our Covenants were condemned; The Act for eversion of the established
      Government of the Church & for establishing of Abjured Prelacy; The
      Act Rescissory of all Acts of Parliaments & Assemblies, for
      establishing the Government of the Church according to the word; The
      Act of Glasgow, putting the same in execution, whereby at one time
      were violently cast out above three hundred Ministers, without any
      Legal Procedure; Likewise The Act for appointing an holy Anniversary
      day, to be kept every 29th of May, for giving thanks for the setting
      up an usurped power, destroying the Interest of Christ in the Land:
      whereby the Creature is set up to be worshipped in the room of our
      great Redeemer, And a power is assumed which is proper to the Lord
      only; For the appointing of ordinances in his Church, as particularly
      the Government thereof & the keeping of holy days, belongeth to no
      Prince, Prelate, nor person on earth, but only to our Lord Redeemer.
      And further, we give our Testimony against all sinful & unlawful
      Acts, emitted & executed, published & prosecuted by them, against our
      Covenanted Reformation. And for Confirmation of this our Testimony,
      We do here this day, being the 29 of May 1679. publickly & most
      justly burn the foresaid Acts, at this Cross of Rutherglen, being the
      Chief Burgh of the Nether ward of Clidsdale; As they perfidiously &
      blasphemously have burnt our holy Covenants, through several Cities
      of these Covenanted Kingdoms. We hope none will take exceptions at
      our not subscribing this our Testimony, being so solemnly given: for
      we are ready to do it if necessary, And to enlarge it with all our
      faithful suffering brethren in the Land.

      ---